Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely not! Or non believer. I prefer Freethinker.

I say I don't believe in the supernatural

I prefer to call myself non theist rather than atheist, as I espouse Humanist beliefs and quite often Atheism is used as a derogatory term by religions who like to portray us as believing in nothing.

I absolutely fine with the term and I am greek; meaning I understand the word in its original form.

the first ones are for children by living parents who want to bring a little light relief into a celebration of a cold winter children know bu=yt the time they are five or six that their parents are responsible they just join in the game for fun -but religion is as unlike these harmless treats as it possibly could be .

jacpod Level 8 June 26, 2018

It's about as completely descriptive of me as "white" or "tall" are. That, and it tends to keep the religious away from trying to pull me into their meetings.

It’s accurate.

sasekg Level 3 June 19, 2018

VERY!

Belief is a tricky thing. Most us would believe that we are who we are told we were. We all came without labels nor were batteries included. All beings are born without religion, nationality, language nor name. Yet after intense conditioning we react to our name being called out, Some people jump to their feet when they hear the melody of "their" anthem.
The seeds of believing before knowing are implanted in the tender infant brains and later become harder to eradicate.
I don't stand up for an anthem unless someone threatens my physical integrity with a nasty instrument. Even hardened atheists think they have to stand.

"The seeds of believing before knowing are implanted in the tender infant brains and later become harder to eradicate." Indeed and that helps the infants early chances of survival. It is later nurtured to keep the individual manageable with nefarious intention to exploit.

It's still a label, but I refer to myself as a non-theist, not an atheist. Purely a personal preference because I never try to convince anyone that there's no god ─ let people believe what they believe ─ though I will explain why I'm a non-believer if asked.

I feel comfortable with non-theist, agnostic, secular, humanist, skeptic. Words don't matter that much. I simply identify as non-religious. I often refer to myself as a Thinker. I try to think ... I give it a good try, lol.

The term doesn't bother me in the slightest because to me it's no different from any of the other labels I use to describe myself (white, straight). If I want to soften it at all 'll say "they're all godless heathens like me." Somehow this seems to make it more palatable to religious co-workers.

"I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things"
Well that is your error I think.
WE are the minority, the majority were indoctrinated as children and never devote any deep thought to the issue, they just believe.
I was not able to do that. Presented with the issue as a reality as a child I determined that if that were true I needed to know all I could, and that quest revealed the Emperor had no clothes.
80% or more believe, so the "normal" state of affairs for the majority is belief.
As such non belief required a label.
80% of adults do not believe in Santa.

I don't like labeling people, and too often people define themselves based on labels they have either given themselves or been given. When involved in conversation regarding religion and asked about my religious beliefs I generally state that I am not a believer in religious stories or the gods included in the stories. The only time I use the term Atheist is when I want to cut short conversation with someone determined to enlighten me.

ledj Level 4 May 26, 2018

Suggest you have a good look at the available definitions of words/phrases like atheist, agnostic, agnostic atheist etc, and then go with whatever label you feel currently comfortable. It may change over time, as mine has, but that's no biggie; just a reflection of the developmental nature of life and the living of it. Wikipedia is a good place to start! Good wishes on your journey...

I have been an atheist since age 13. The word "atheist" is defined as:

"Atheist (noun):

1. a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings." (Dictionary.com)

That's good enough for me.

So you are uncomfortable because of what they think. Perhaps time to be comfortable and have a chance for them to learn if they are right about the label. Atheist is just fine, letting them say we know their gods exist and want to rebel against them is a terrible bit of logic. Arguing over the null hypothesis is a good place to start. Challenging the assertion we inherently want to believe is important to get them communicating honestly.

Perfectly content being an atheist. I have failed to believe in so many different gods so far. The next one invented will be just as unbelievable as the previous lot. Of course, many people think that Baal is not being given a fair chance.

Not too comfortable simply because it elicits a negative reaction from people.. That's why I call myself an agnostic because it is more socially acceptable. Also, I figure if there really is a God and I end up having a judgment day, then I can always say to him/her "Well, I never said I didn't believe in you." So saying I'm an agnostic instead of an atheist is a way of hedging my bet. LOL

I am pretty comfortable calling myself an Athiest, it is what I am!

Just tell folks you're a realist and smile.....that's what I do.

I dislike it, because it only indicates what I'm not. It says nothing about what I am. Same applies to agnostic.

I am fine with it. What I'm not fine is with is when people call it a religion or belief system. I also enjoy explaining to people what it means if they ask, and the occasional look of horror when they realize I'm a godless sodomite.

I try not limit myself to the binary ....I like to call myself a person with an imagination. My main problem with the religion/theology realm is the following: I just find it all too limiting. When I was younger and had feelings of awe, it was to a tree. (So I could build a whole religion/theology around worshiping a tree.....but then my tree religion would have to ban the bird religion. Getting carried away here).....I will stick with imagination. Especially as we have the Huble telescope sending back images of the multi-universe....mind blowing!!! So what ever is going on just doesn't fit into any religion I know of!

I've changed my mind since previously commenting.
By definition, atheist merely is someone who lacks a belief in any god or gods.
that's me.
I find labels limiting and give people room to box us into their narrow thinking-
however, there's a greater good reason to affirm myself as atheist...
in this political climate where it's being espoused that not being christian is the root of all our evils, it's vital that those who lack a belief in a god or gods unite and refer to ourselves as atheists.
atheists who are good because we choose to be, not because we have to be...
we do, we don't pray.
and on and on...

I am a through and through non - believer, zero fairy tales or magical thinking here,
but
a proudly affirm I am also atheist.

r'amen

Good point. The word "atheist" is a tribute to the power and influence of the powers that be. I've studied etymology as a hobby since high school. Throughout much of history if you didn't believe the standard orthodoxy you could have been burned at the stake during the Inquisition for being a "heretic." The derivation of the word? Heretic comes from the Latin word for "other." Just not believing in the standard catechism could doom you to a horrible death by torture and fire. What deplorable arrogance!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.