Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My inclination is to call my self an Atheist because I think that on balance there is no god.
But logic tells me that although there is no proof for the existence of a god, there is no proof of non-existence either.
So I am comfortable with "Atheist or Agnostic", preferring the latter.

Extremely comfortable. Also Comfortable with the title ExJew.

I like "non-believer". The label "atheist" does seem to come with baggage and people view it as it being "stronger" than what it actually means. Non-believer simply states that my position is contrary to theirs. It's not such a dogmatic label, I feel, more "here is my position".

People at work hold up their crosses (on their necklaces)-and back away..???

@J-MaisOui haha!

Only if you accept the baggage. I don't. It belongs to the believer...LOL

@BrigittaCuadros if we are talking about general people that don't already have a relationship to me, then yes I use the term atheist without caring about the baggage. But with people I have known all my life and are still religious or at least believe in a God, then it can be confronting to come right out and say "I'm an atheist" and the baggage of that term can lead to misunderstandings. I like to take the softly softly approach with those i love and still want in my life 🙂

Unindoctrinated ? Wise ? Intelligent ? Untainted ? Was being admitted to a hospital for surgery , and was answering questions before they got started - Do you smoke ? Drink ? Use drugs ? Believe in God ? Have someone to rely on , in case of emergency ? To all of which , I answered no . She then looked at me and asked , well , what do you do when you need help ? What is your crutch ? Told her , I just stand on my own two feet .

I use godless.

Very comfortable.

If asked, I describe myself as an agnostic atheist, which does help to define my position for some but totally confuses "others".

Athos Level 5 May 19, 2018

I agree with Sam Harris, we don't have a term for people who don't believe in sasquatch, why do we need a word for people who don't believe in Set?

Unfortunately, I've found many who say they're atheist are really anti-theists and not fun to chill with.

In the UK we still find it odd that one should fear be 'outed' as an atheist - I wear it like a badge. or does religion have a stranglehold on the US?

Parts of USA and especially in small cities and towns, yes religion has a stranglehold on people. When I became adult, I fled to the nearest big city to get away from all the mean spirited, abusive religious people. Southeast part of USA - very bad unless you live in the large cities. Even then, you get aggressive fundies who sometimes make you miserable.

Who cares about labels? Why does anyone worry about how others define them? If I were to label myself I say that I am a non-theist - separates me from the a@@hats at the various atheist groups that exist. That being said I'm not aware of ever being labeled because I don't talk about it - becoming a "non-believer" wasn't the most important decision that I ever had to make. It doesn't define me and so I see no reason to discuss it or worry about how others feel about it.

Perfectly content being an atheist. I have failed to believe in so many different gods so far. The next one invented will be just as unbelievable as the previous lot. Of course, many people think that Baal is not being given a fair chance.

Perfectly OK with the term.

I love it. The religous have a problem with the word not me.

Use it only as an adjective and avoid the budding orthodoxies. 🙂

It's just a descriptor, though it does have certain negative connotations in certain circles. I just don't care; I'm very comfortable being known as an atheist. If anyone takes it the wrong way, I know it's only because they're ignorant, and it doesn't really bother me. Maybe if I had personal acquaintances who would take offense, I'd care more.

Very

Completely

Fine.

It's because we put a lot of weight, culturally, into religion. As well, most people are to some degree religious, so we're the minority.

In the same way, most people have sex, so we have a word for virgins.

Very

I like your entire premise....it is just that "they"( believers) were here first.

As far as I am concerned it does the job most people i know know what it means and I am not one for tinkering about with language - as long as I am understood to a certain level -fine! I hate reading posts about hte nitty gritty of a word Atheist is a pretty well known word it works for me. end of.

Since I live in a pretty Christian area, I'm still not comfortable actually coming out and calling myself an atheist. If religion comes up in conversation, I just say I was raised Catholic, but am now non religious. Though, since I'm on Facebook, and follow and share things from Atheist pages, those close to me have to be aware.

Unfortunately, just with the act of communicating we have to have a word or phrase when the majority would otherwise think we're with them. If it comes to the place where we're majority, then they'll start identifying as theist.

A label tells you what to expect, a way of making sure your in the right place. I don’t like that we need a label but since we do I’m glad we have it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.