Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am comfortable with the word, but so many people misunderstand what atheism is. I'm agnostic, but people think I'm atheist when I talk about my agnosticism because it does entail components of atheism. Also, theists think that atheists hate god(s) and so take offense, when the truth is that one cannot hate something that one feel does not exist.

Frankly, I really don't like the term. "A-theist" simply declares 'what you're not'.

It's like someone asking you on the phone, "What color is your hair?",
and you answer with, "I'm not a blonde."

On the other end of the line you hear...
"Ummmm... okay... Well, I wasn't asking what you're 'not'... I was asking what you 'are'.
Okay, you're just too weird. Good bye." (-click-)

I think that not discussing it with religious people is easier. I'm really not into arguing and for the most part I don't care what they believe as long as they don't impose on me.

YES!

I feel atheist is defining my core, but leaves out how religiously literate I am.

That is a really interesting perspective. I think that people have been brainwashed from birth to believe the ridiculous to be credible, and I think that virtually everything in our society (particularly in places like the US) has been built on that myth. It makes sense to me that we carry legacy terminology with us.

I don't think people are brainwashed, I think people are emotionally vulnerable and part of that makes people able to accept all kinds of nonsense to fill in the gaps of those vulnerability because it's easier, not to say that religious folk are weaker, allot of people just don't have the time to sit around and ponder the nature of reality because they need to put food on the table, they need to keep the lights on, and they need to take care of their family. I really cannot blame religious people for being religious most of the time.

Atheist has a bit of shock value so why not?

gearl Level 8 Oct 23, 2017

I am a logophile. Words help us understand and "atheist" is simple and descriptive (as long as we agree on the definition of course!) 😉

LoriS Level 3 Oct 23, 2017

In the late '80s early' 90s those who learned that I did not believe in GOD labeled me a bad person.
Now, most who know me understand that I am a very good human! Some say that I have a better chance of going to "heaven" than most Christians!!!
They totally don't get it but, I'm not offended.

Not one fact or proof ever. To have faith in that is proof of your mind not working properly

It's sad that we need a label. But It's a common trait among us, so a word is necessary, and "atheist" is about as accurate and impartial as possible. So, yes, I am very comfortable with it.

Atheist defines the lack of religious belief, that is all. I am just a much an atheist as I am a photographer, husband, archer, film-goer, book reader, tea drinker, father, uncle etc. Not one of those labels defines me.

I can understand this perspective. However, religion is important to a lot of people and the label exists as a consequence of this. I don't take it personally. People are raised with a certain way of thinking and label people outside of that thinking as a result.

Atheism is a broad church. Literally it means without God. That includes Agnostics, those ignorant of the idea of God and anyone that for whatever reason choses not the believe in God.
The negative connotations of the word are fading away, and will continue to do so the more people adopt the word and are not afraid to say so.
Me big happy

Atheism is not religion or any type of church. it is simple , do not believe in bullshit

@tonia Dah. "broad church" is irony, as is quite plain by the rest of my comment. Are you an American by any chance?

I am fie with it If someone doesnt like the fact I am an atheist I would politely advise them to go look somewhere else for converstation or whatever they were looking forIf you can't be adult enough to realize ppl have many differences including ideaolical then you are obviosly not adult enough to hang with me..their problem not mine

I guess I am ok with being different as I have been my whole life. I always liked things that my friends found to be different like music (Classical) art, science of all kinds, history and political theory. I loved all of these from a very young age and my friends could not relate to them.

I use it all of the time. I'm a proud Atheist. I also have a necklace and T-Shirt that I wear on the weekends so not to offend my co workers...LOL

I love it you have a necklace. Does it have a big curling "A" like the @ sign but capitalized?

More and more so. I think we need to take back the word as much as we can.

Doesn't bother me. It's just a word.

i like non believer way better...atheist sounds like a satanic term for some reason but what ever ..i just know dating sucks when i confess my non belief and im kind of tired of the label put on a person who values question and the freedom to be skeptical

Yes! It is a little uncomfortable using the word with me at times. I think it can be ambiguous equivocal in its meaning. Also is the word the person's "Choice" or is it just what is Rational Result about it? When I use the word "Atheist" is not my Life's "Choice" It is how I see it as a rational "Fact" When Religious people say they don't like Atheist, I think it comes to them that people want that as a "Choice" in someone's Life. If I am to assume a God (?) and it was someone's "Choice" then I would not like my Outcome, because we will get our "Choice" for what we want in this Life. What others might be concerned about. I would use the word as this is the Outcome of things as a Fact. That I see about what is among us. But? I like "Agnostic" for which I am not that Determined about such a claim. I did once use the word "Agnostic" in the Hospital and then they put my choice under "Atheist" in the paper work. I was not that Determined to deny a God. I just didn't know for sure. I had no religious beliefs I wanted in the Hospital. That was all I was concerned about.

the only thing that bothers me is sometimes people have a negative opinion of it cause of how some people act, i try not to associate with the word as much cuz of it

I’m comfortable with the word “atheist” but in my bible thumping part of the country it often equates to lacking morality or even devil worship. Henceforth the softer form of atheism, agnosticism seems to go over much better. The big drawback here is it keeps the religious thinking there is hope for you yet! Choose your path wisely padawan.

That is an excellent point; certain 2 b totally lost on dupes of the ancient mythology. But. I dunno. The people who imagineered all of the great religions engineered coercive memes like hell and eternal damnation, n2 them. To go against them is blasphemy, an unforgivable sin. They fear you / us. Thinking is verboten.

And the world goes around and around, and the doomsday clock ticks ever closer 2 midnight.

I'm comfortable. Just like the word "Christian" or "Buddhist" or "Musliam"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.