Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I prefer "reasonable".

I like it in the same way I like bald as a description of hair.

Isaac Asimov observed the same thing. He said it was annoying being defined by what he didn't believe in. I usually say humanist or agnostic. Since that more accurately defines me.

I don't like labels of any kind. They isolate a group of people and lump them all into one easily digested category to which attributes can be assigned. Also, atheist is an absolute term and if I've learned anything in this lifetime, it's keep your mind open and your beliefs flexible.

Only lazy thinkers group and digest. We should encourage this generation to pay attention and think, search, discern.

Not a term I ever use. I too identify as a Buddhist. Which for me is about trying to live in a particular way as outlined by a man who later came to be known as the Buddha or awakened. There may or may not be a God. I have no way of knowing so I don't give it very much thought. Prefering to put my effort into things I can effect.
Someone here pointed out that 'Buddhism' doesn't treat women equally. I think that's true (and very wrong) for some forms of organised religious Buddhism but there also forms of Buddhism where equality is actively perused.

I'm comfortable with the word and people who claim it. I don't consider myself one because I do believe there is something, I just have no fitting definition, working theology or proof of what it is. I'm ok with that, too.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 17, 2018

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.
—Robert M. Pirsig

I am proud to use the word Athiest that is what I am I tell everyone I am an Athiest a non believer of supernatural gods/dieties and follow the scientic idea of evidence being able to test whether a theory is true or false even though I am no scientist I do not have the knowledge to be one.

Perhaps free-thinkers or rationalists might be better as far as labels go. But I don't personally mind referring to myself as an atheist, because it is accurate; I am without theistic belief ("a" plus "theist" ). This defines my position on religion and belief in God (gods) pretty well. On the other hand, it seems to me that many people of a religious persuasion might associate the term "atheist" with a hostility towards religion, which not all atheists have. I am willing to let people have their beliefs, although I am firmly opposed to religious fundamentalism.

I admit that my heart skips a beat when I say the word. But, I decided a long time ago to be my authentic self no matter what. So, even with the super religious. I will say it.

My other motive in using the word clearly and matter of factly, is to show people that we are everywhere, we are normal feeling humans with cares, worries, trauma, triumphs and tragedies, and that we are not scary.

I always say agnostic. Most people won't ask a follow up. The ones that do I say that I can't prove or disprove if there is a god/s so agnostic means I'm neutral.

So my best guess is to call label myself an agnostic atheist. Atheist because I feel I know for sure there is no personal loving being blah blah blah, BUT, I had a whole lot of "paranormal" experiences a long time ago. I do need to say that I also know that I am unstable, in which ways, I haven't found out yet, still trying to get a correct diagnosis, so there's that! But that's where the agnostic part comes in. I feel like there's a possibility that I experienced things a certain way because of chemical imbalances, but since I was raised Christian, I thought it was all spiritual. Well it wasn't. Possibly just mental health issues/flair ups. On the other hand, I still believe my own experiences, I believe I had them, and I don't disbelieve people who have paranormal experiences, but now I don't discredit anything, including illness. I agree that it makes more sense to leave the label off of pure atheists because they are more like the control group-also then people may not be so confused about the definitions. The word also has a negative connotation that bothers me a lot, I take opportunities to clear up confusion when I can.

I too have a problem with term, for all the reasons mentioned. However it does seem to be the handle we are stuck all with. Just as many of you would hate to be called "Yanks" especially if you come from the south. It`s just easier to type.

I give absolutely no notice to any labels or titles.

Why are people so hung up on labels? I just don't believe in any magical 'beings' holding court on my affairs in a magical land. Does that make me an Atheist? I guess by definition, it does. But I'm not going to drag around some sign that says, 'I AM AN ATHEIST'. For one, the sign is too damn heavy and cumbersome to carry around. And, secondly, I don't give a flying fart what people think of my beliefs.

Ruadh Level 3 Jan 8, 2018

They put the utility of the word "atheist" incorrectly and you become regarded as their fake straw man. This is a awful feeling because they are clueless at the same time and too ignorant not to believe that you just do not find any sympathy or attitude about seeing the evidence that is not there for the supernatural. They think your are not genuine. There facts are stack in their favor. Atheism is a wise utility, or neutral position through my lenses. Then its correct to say these people who use this method to be this way are just as beautiful human beings.

Always seemed weird to me to define yourself by something you're not. Whatevs though. I'm ignostic myself, so am safely left out of this particular debate.

I'm pretty comfortable with it, and can see how people arrive to that conclusion with me. My only gripe is that I'm not actually atheist.

my contention has always been that no one knows. No one can know. I admit that anything could be the truth, from Druids to Scientologists. Religion is for people who have to know, thats why it exists.

I will not identify as anything but as an atheist. Pagan, agnostic, non believers etc.. all of these terms aren’t quite descriptive enough as to the fact that I do not believe in a god and or gods. The term atheist makes me feel confident, which is important when dealing with the believers and is also a simple explanation. People hear “atheist” and feel as if we have these crazy beliefs, when we have the most simple explanation for them.

I will add qualifiers if needed. I'm an agnostic atheist. A Humanist. A skeptic. A freethinker. & the beat goes on, depending on the context & need for explanation.

I will not identify as anything but as an atheist. Pagan, agnostic, non believers etc.. all of these terms aren’t quite descriptive enough as to the fact that I do not believe in a god and or gods. The term atheist makes me feel confident, which is important when dealing with the believers and is also a simple explanation. People hear “atheist” and feel as if we have these crazy beliefs, when we have the most simple explanation for them.

I have no response because that's a real thinker and can only compliment saying that that was very well put and I must agree on this point of view 100% ???? and must say there's just an awful amount of stigmata that come along with that word such as frowns, anger and and then there's the Christian thing to do HATE...

I have no response because that's a real thinker and can only compliment saying that that was very well put and I must agree on this point of view 100% and must say there's just an awful amount of stigmata that comes along with that word such as frowns, anger and then there's the Christian thing to do, HATE...

I think that every act we make every word we speak defines us and that is possible that it is no shock to anyone to admit to being an atheist. I am with you totally about the state of non believing -
I think it might be quite uninteresting because it doesn't really register as a 'doing' verb just passive and uninteresting except if someone is up for a fight to reclaim your soul for you. I suppose I would take issue with 'insanity' - I think people who genuinely believe and are comfortable with that belief and don't proseletyse have found a good way to ensure that they have positive mental health albeit one I wouldn't choose.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.