Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I simply say (when prompted) that I don't believe in gods, or that I am not superstitious. Both work. I don't really care for the fact that I get a label for not believing in the unbelievable. I was an atheist long before I knew there was a word for it. I don't think I heard the word used in any meaningful way until I was 10 or 11.

The word you're looking for is "adults." There's this great line in "The Big Bounce" (2004): "God is an imaginary friend for grownups." I don't have a problem calling myself an atheist.

Completely! It has Latin and Greek roots a-thista meaning without a doctrine or assumption of belief. Perfect description of me!

It depends upon the situation in which I find myself at the moment. I tend to use atheist, agnostic, and secular humanist interchangeably even though there are obvious differences. If the situation calls for going into any detail at all, I will define my terms more carefully. I lack a belief in the divine, therefore I am an atheist. I am open to the possibility that some kind of entity may exist that could be called God, therefore I am an agnostic. I believe in living an ethical life, therefore I am a secular humanist.

Simply not. Not unless I have to say the word for the Theist to understand. I enjoy the word Humanist or Free Thinker yet not as much Skeptic because I am not a skeptic as that denotes in a way to me anyway negativity as does Atheist denote being opposite of something when I would rather simply say I am for humanity, I am for logical discourse, factual data and I am not one to fall for mystical faith thinking which is hurtful to society so I try to come at it from that angle instead of having to say I am an Atheist which to many is a misnomer and misunderstood and leaves me open to direct attack when as they say....honey brings more flies than vinegar and to help others to me is more important than pushing something in the face of another and many 100 percent Atheist speaking people....(yes, I am an Atheist and a kind one) ....seem to be as dogmatic as the Fundamentalists and that is a turn off and just spending life fighting...well, I had rather love and speak the truth in love if I can borrow a phrase written in the Theists texts they oft do not use. Speak the truth in love is so important to me and being patient in the face of adversity and never reveal your entire position until it becomes very necessary. Peace to you all.

I am more comfortable with the word "Atheist" than I am with with the word "Crepuscular." But, that has nothing to do with atheism.

And, because I am NOT absolutely certain if God exists or not. and I have no interest in proving others wrong for believing in a God, if I do self identify, I announce I am Agnostic. In short, I know that I don't know if "God" exists or not. That's usually enough context for most folks but it does invite curiosity.

The "crepuscular" comment cracked me up!

It was a struggle at first and then...there it was.

Well, before Trump was elected, I was comfortable with it.

I work with Bible Belt Christians. If asked what my religion is, I no longer reveal that I am an atheist. Now, most fundamentalist types cannot deal with atheists, so I tell them I'm Jewish. They love Jews; makes them feel superior because they have jesus and Jews don't.

Having Catholic Schooling even on College. the first time I lied to a priest in the confessionary and I wasn't stricken by the Mighty Reach of God Almighty while still on 4th grade... the Faking and Lying On church Started. The Rest is History... Very Comfortable.

When I look at all the misery caused by religion, I thank god I'm an atheist.

I use it for political reasons ,and I use it because I get tired of explaining Agnostic to people that obviously do not want to hear it.

I agree with that -- I feel like it's a bit presumptuous to declare there's no god, but I oppose the employment of god or belief in it in public policy, so I identify politically as atheist. And also the explaining thing.

Very..... it usually makes the ppl that are paying attention uncomfortable.

Vico Level 5 Nov 30, 2017

I am not at all comfortable with the word atheist. It has too many negative ideas attached to it in the minds of other people. That's why I call myself a free thinker. The only time I use it in reference to myself is when I introduce myself as, God's Favorite Atheist

what negative ideas?

No morals, devil worship, eating babies. Too many people just get a real negative gut reaction at the very mention of the word.

I don't identity with the word "atheists" i like to identify with the term "non believer".

Very good point. Yet and still, the term doesn't bother me. I think, given your logic, that it should, but it doesn't. That's just me.

100%

Marz Level 7 Nov 22, 2017

I wouldn't have it any other way 🙂

I embrace the word atheist and see agnostic as the argument of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. But I gladly claim atheist as most people understand the world. Where agnostic is somewhat misunderstood and seen as a wiggle word by both religious and non-religious.

I'm 99.9999% sure there is no god. I don't have a dog in the contest and if there was proof, then I would go where the evidence leads. But I'm damn sure that what Christians think is their god is as far from the truth as Donald Trump has a good brain!

I don't see it as an issue. If anything it at least gives us a word to search if we want to find like minded people. Easier to search 'atheist groups' than 'people who don't believe in god groups'

That was good! Funny

It's scary to me because I live in Texas. I've had to pretend all my life to get by here with people in general. If most of my neighbors knew, I think my house would at least be egged. I have to kind of feel people out before I can say the truth. So I belong to a couple of atheist meetups where everyone is a non believer.

Pretending seems like a very reasonable strategy if you live in a place like Texas, which I have done in the past. I lived in El Paso some years ago. With their Sunday blue laws and their penchant for violence, I can empathize with you.

I wear it as a badge of honor.

Well, I suppose it does not bother me any more than a Christian being called a theist.

Well the vast majority don't believe in santa or the tooth fairy, so there isn't a need for such words. The vast majority of humans are theists, so therefore a word is needed to describe us.

I'm unfortunately very uncomfortable with the word atheist even though it is the most common term that would describe me. Though I suppose I'm technically anti-thiest. I'm an introverted person and I don't like conflict so I don't like using a word out loud to someone who doesn't know me. There's such a stigma against atheists that's mostly why I hesitate to use the word in conversation. Luckily it doesn't come up in conversation very often.

I don't like the baggage that comes with the word - but then again, it doesn't really apply to me. I am more comfortable with the term "non-theist".

I don't think we should justify what we do or don't believe atheist have been around a lot longer than any religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.