Agnostic.com

44 7

LINK Prompted by calls to 'give grace' to cop who killed George Floyd, black activists question the rush to forgive

“As a Christian you’re supposed to forgive.”

Presented to my religious and non religious acquaintances. It would be nice to hear your thoughts on this as one or more of you could be in possession of a possible solution.

IAJO163 8 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not the best with words...not my preferred format...

I have tried to express myself in this thread and failed. I apologize for my over statement that "all cops are evil"... sorta. My point was and is that the problens we see are not really about the individuals personality or their ethics...it is about cop culture... ever known a black or POC cop y'all? A female cop? I have known several folks from both categories actually... and guess what, they ALL sounded like bigots within 18 months of starting the job...the job itself creates bigots.

[simplypsychology.org]

I do think there is a solution. A few of my suggestions:

First, cops must stop being immune to prosecution AND conviction. This is partially dependent on point 2 - completely revising the job description.

Part of tbe reason so few convictions are achieved from these incidents - violence is considered an acceptable integral part of the job. This situation lead to the cops involved in the Rodney King atrocity back in the 90's to avoid conviction. This still hasn't substantially changed. We need to go back to the idea of cops as peace officers...and structure everything over from that perspective...the personality tests and the training given are blatently useless as are cameras, firings, hiring minorities and women, etc. .

ALL the cops in the recent Minnesota atrocity were trained in safe take down precedures...as am I...I knew as soon as I saw the vid that they were guilty of deliberate murder. As a social worker in an acute care psychiatric facility, I have had enough training to know, point blank, that these individuals knew better, knew they violated safety procedures, and chose to commit murder.

Third, cops must not be allowed to carry guns or any weapon that allows them to dominate, suppress, or harm another human being at will....remember they are individuals whose purpose is to be peace keepers... why should we consider guns to be needed on their person at all times, especially as "they" have demonstrated that they cannot safely handle the responsibility. Childern have been killed, women residing peacefully in their homes have been killed, never mind the numbers of black men killed in chance encounters with cops every where and any where in this country.

I am grounded enough in reality that I am certain most folks will not agree with any of my suggestions because most believe the fallacies that cops NEED weapons, that cops need to be able to dominate any given situation, that cops protect us from criminals, and that their job is inherently dangerous...
I don't agree with any of those statements. I think half, if not more of the problem is the framework with which we are viewing this situation...

If you are open to a different POV, I was just watching this (highly relevant lectures) today . . .

According to Shermer, sometimes good people are in 'bad barrels' (there are multiple parts to these vids) :

Forgive for four hundred years of abuse? I don't think so.

Failing to punish those who behave badly sets a precedent, others who see it then expect that the same thing will happen if they misbehave, and the cycle continues . . . . just look at what we have in Washington . . . . punishment should be severe, very severe, for the person in question, and if we had any sense, the clowns in Washington.

The Minneapolis P.D. needs some re-structuring:
[alternet.org]

He needs to be in jail. The other 3 were correctly fired. I do believe in forgiveness but not for other people but for yourself and this is a fresh open wound. No forgiveness until they've gotten closure. That could be next week, next year or never. It is not our timeline but theirs. George's family has a say in when we should keep it to ourselves but not when we forgive.

Ummm, I appreciate you comment, But firing the other three is insufficient. The should all be put on trial and prosecuted to the most extreme level. Period. The didn't just neglect their duties...they stood by and watched a member of their "club" deliberately kill someone... if they were not cops... they would all be considered culpable...if it had been a "street gang" they would all be in jail awaiting trial for first degree murder. And they should be as a matter of justice...not that it will deter or change the likelihood of a reoccurance. I mean, we have been here and done this. It doesnt help in the long run...at all

I want to see him sentenced to jail time and I want him to experience life in the general population.

Forgive.... if that's what you feel like doing then go for it. But never forget, and demand justice.

Forgiveness. NO. These cops ought to be doing hard time for murder. No forgiveness. When my grandson was murdered in a drug deal the killers mom wanted to remind us all that he had kids and was trying to raise them. OK. So did my murdered grandson. My view is if you do the crime you should also do the time.

Well, for what I read this cop has already a past history of abusing his authority. Let him do his time and, if he corrects his ways, no point in making him pay even more.

BULLSHIT. You do not have to forgive someone that is not remorseful, has not made ammends and is, quite frankly, not deserving of forgiveness. I dislike this toxic positivity culture that would have us believe you NEED to forgive to heal or move on and that forgiveness is for yourself. BULL. Sometimes you do not forgive but you still heal and move on nonetheless. This religious teaching is internalized and practiced/recommended by TOO MANY non-believers too. It is frustrating.

Skin color aside, the law is not a thing of grace or forgiveness. That is why lady justice wears blindfold.

You can "forgive" him all you like... But prosecute him for negligent homicide!

The officer who had his knee on George Floyd's neck can have all the grace he wants in a long prison sentence.

It's more complicated for the other 3 officers.

BD66 Level 8 May 30, 2020

Not really that difficult. Footage shot from another angle shows 3 of the 4 cops who were there, kneeling on Mr. Floyd.
All 4 should be charged.
They ALL murdered that man. The one who wasn't kneeling, didn't do jack to stop the other 3.

@SeaGreenEyez Three of the four were kneeling on the man. The fourth just stood there and did NOTHING.
He's just as guilty as they are.
All of them need to be charged with murder.

@SeaGreenEyez Hell, they'd ALL have been arrested on the spot.

@SeaGreenEyez I'm right there with ya, sister.
It's probably a good thing I can't drive anymore.

@SeaGreenEyez What in the actual fuck!!! That's disgusting!
Fuck the klan.

As much as I know you want to join the protests, and I do, too--
BUT
you have got to stay home and recuperate.
Remember what I said to you a few days ago? I'll remind you.
DON'T FUCKING DIE.

Love you, mean it!
😉

Many religions build much of their doctrine on forgiveness. Most if those are hypocrites who bring out forgiveness only when it suits them. Having worked in counseling, I recognize the difficulties in finding and then in expressing forgiveness. I am not sure I could do so in certain cases. I understand it can, sometimes, help the bereaved move on; but that remains a tough journey, and sometimes an impossible one. After the killing of some Amish girls in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania, aside from the killer's widow, only the Amish showed up. It is one of their staunchest tenants. I later spoke with an uncle of one of the dead girls. He did not attend; he said he could not find it in his heart to forgive and did not want to respond like a robotic follower of his faith and be a hypocrite.

That is just bullshit. The killer cop is surely a christian. Did he forgive George Floyd? The other 3 accessories to murder cops are likely Christian? Did one have compassion? This is not an issue of forgiveness, it is all about justice for the murdered victim and his family.

Forgiveness is a wonderful sentiment where appropriate. Unfortunately, forgiveness is often in conflict with justice and fairness. Forgive all you want, but make sure justice is served FIRST.

Given that Derek Chavin worked in the same nightclub in the same job at the same time as Floyd George, it is highly likely that Chavin saw a chance to act on an old grudge. That makes it 1st Degree Murder. The other officers were present while George and other pleaded for life. Their refusal to stop Chavin makes them murderers too. They need to be charged immediately. Failure to do so proves that the prosecutors are bigots incompetent to do their job.

Trump has major responsibility for this, and it is very likely that all of this meets with his approval. Trump wants civil war in hopes of being rewarded by Putin.

The fact that they worked together is damning. I'm sure the other officers were aware of that fact.
If that is not premeditation, I don't know, but should be looked into very throughly.

@PondartIncbendog Was about to say the same thing. You don’t need to be a lawyer to know that’s not first degree.

Unless there is a documented incident involving both Chavin and George you probably would not get anywhere with that scenario...and Chavin would walk for sure...Premeditation involved planning and without proof any prosecutor would not levy that charge...it is a slippery slope...whatever he/they are charged with has to be something that can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt...too many cases are lost due to a technicality...I am guessing the State will go for a Manslaughter Charge...JMHO...Namaste

@indirect76 I still want to burn him at the stake. .....The others may be charged with conspiracy to commit manslaughter. ........

There is always a possibility for forgiveness. It is not mine to give though. Were I one of George’s family members I’d like to say I could forgive the policeman that killed him. Giving forgiveness seems like a better route than carrying hate. This is something I have experience with.

Forgiveness does not mean that justice is sidestepped. This cop needs to serve time and pay for his crime regardless as to whether he has been forgiven.

No one is above the law!!!

No body is above the law, nobody!!!

well aparently Trump does not agree nor do the senators who claim to be republican. They would have poured burning pitch onto Obama or Clinton, or even FDR.

When are enough whit, or whitish , people going to understand protest is needed, but do it in front of their homes, or inside their buildings, make themselves heard night and day around their house, as they get in their car and at their offices. If they have investments like some people, , do not boycott them, picket them.

Give him grace or forgiveness all they want, it does not absolve him of his crimes. By his own hands and our laws he should and will be placed on trail, and pay the price for his actions.

This is a very complex issue, the whole death of Gearge Floyd, so many thoughts and feelings come to mind, most of all anger. We shouldn't rush to judge or forgive, but use common sense and well thought out justice, as we should in EVERY act of police brutality regardless of race. My first thought on viewing the newest video released is why George was placed face down on the ground on the street. At no point in any of these video clips is he ever appearing to resist. He is handcuffed. The police officers need to explain this action. Is this a standard practice? What neccessitates the use of this type of procedure? I think it is a problem right there. Once a suspect is handcuffed, laying people face down on the ground is not a humane way of treating them and this tactic should be avoided at all costs where the suspect poses little threat.

Additionally "I can't breathe". Whenever someone utters those words in a situation where you don't know exactly how to acurratately interpret the words, you need to take those words VERY SERIOUSLY. Lose of oxygenation in the blood is a very dangerous condition. Someone may be experiencing asthma, pneumonia, heart attack or other life threatening medical situations. How should police or prison guards respond when someone says "I can't breathe"? This is an aspect where you have to examine how people in authority are being trained.

When you think about the situation with Breona Taylor, and I am not very familiar, it is a very horrific situation. Police serving a warrant in the middle of the night and then killing someone in the process who is a law abiding citizen. It's very disturbing. What's the procedure? How do we prevent accidents like this? This should be a real wake up call to police.

I think the officers involved need to explain the procedure being used. The officers were fired in the GeorgeFloyd case, yes, but what is the thought process going through their minds at the time? I think police need to explain certain aspects of procedure to the public in order to be more accountable to the public. In situation A we are taught to do B.

There are other instances of police brutality/manslaughter/murder and each of these circumstances need to be part of a continuing discussion of crime, policing, and all that needs to go into maintaining a just system. Also, we need to talk about subconscious racial bias, policing in high crime neighborhoods, and the underlying social problems that cause crime in the first place. And of course continually using police body cams to weed out the officers who are not well suited because of racism and/or propensity toward abuse of power.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:501051
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.