Agnostic.com

37 20

You'd think this was a religious website.

By joining this website, I thought I'd get to escape from religion. Instead, it has recently become a nonstop barrage of posts about Christianity and God. It gets tiresome.

My tipping point was when a man posted, "Which is more EVIL, Christianity or Islam and WHY?" Warlike and negative.

I make a point of not beating a dead horse. Instead I post about hikes, healthy recipes, funny and uplifting stories. Also write about Democratic causes.

Seems like my hiking posts are a drop in an ocean of religious blather. As a lifelong atheist, apparently I need to join a different website.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@Cutiebeauty, @BudFrank, @DenoPenno, @KKGator, @Marionville, @freefromgod, @Robert_2001, @Holysocks, @BestWithoutGods, @Willow_Wisp, @BitFlipper, @bobwjr, @wordywalt, @Mitch07102, @prometheus, @Julie808, @Fernapple, @Petter, @oldFloyd, @OldMetalHead, @GoodMan, @DavidLaDeau, @Zster, @RoyMillar

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your kind words and encouragement.

I will stay on Agnostic.com. Love the intelligent, funny and wise members.

@Cutiebeauty kindly helped me change my settings so I see fewer religious posts.

ONE: Click on the Agnostic.com logo at the top left on this page.

TWO: Click on the horizontal lines at the top right, beside the magnifying glass.

THREE: Choose what types of posts you want to see (or not see).

Woohoo!! πŸ™‚

Great! I adjust those filters periodically 😊.
It’s good you now know about them.

Thanks for the education. I guess at some point I must have set some of those filters myself but it is a long time since I ever saw that screen.

I have not noticed the religious posts. I suppose I've set my filters such that they don't appear in my list of new posts.

I tend to scan down the list quickly and only click on the posts that intrigue me by the opening line. So, I'm only seeing a fraction of the material, and that keeps me from spending too much time online.

In any case, we are all in different stages of our agnosticism. Many of us confirmed atheists for decades, some still questioning and are seeking an understanding ear while they work things out. Some may be here just to try to understand what we're all about.

It's all good. Read and respond to what interests you and disregard the rest. That's what I do.

Me too

I do not read every post. I ignore a lot.
Keeps me sane.
I don't think it's possible to please everyone.
People are gonna post what they want to post.

Hope you don't go, but if you choose to, happy trails. Stay well, stay safe.

I do most of my time on here in a few groups l like. You don’t see that there. But, I’ll tell you, you’d be missed if you left.

@Dhiltong

Thank you!

Don't be put off by the influx of Russian bots pretending to be religious.
I mean that's their plan right?
Sew discontent into ALL social media.
Joke em if they can't take a F.

No I think that you do a very good job, and that most of the members find everything you share very interesting. I certainly enjoy your cooking, crafts and hiking posts, dating, well maybe not so much, but the site would be far less without you.

You have to remember however that the site has a turn over in its membership, and that therefore there are always lots of new members, most of whom have issues that they need to address, often painful ones, so there are bound to be some repeating posts. And it is only fair that the long stay members should tolerate and even help with that if they can, and are willing. Personally I am only too pleased to offer a helping hand when I can, but there are plenty of us to do that, so there is no heavy moral obligation on anyone to to join in if they find it boring.

@Fernapple

Thank you, dear.

Seems like my hiking posts are a drop in an ocean of religious blather.

@LiterateHiker As a lot of people said, just ignore what you don't like.

Hey, dead horses need beating too.

skado Level 9 Sep 23, 2020

Just because we are older does not mean it is a dead horse for the younger. There are many that have never heard anything but the myth, so these discussions ARE new to them.

If you end up leaving the site, let us know where you were going. I think several of us would enjoy still following what you are posting about your life

@BudFrank

I will stay on Agnostic.com. Love the intelligent, funny, and wise members.

@Cutiebeauty kindly helped me change my settings, so I see fewer religious posts.

1. Click on the Agnostic.com logo at the top left on this page.

2. Click on the horizontal lines on the top right.

3. This takes you to a page where you can choose the types of posts you want to see.

I just ignore most of them now...there isn’t any compunction to respond to any posts, only those that excite our interest. I have commented in the past about this phenomenon...having seemingly discussed religion more in the 2 years since joining this site than I have in the past duration of my entire 70 plus years! I appreciate your hiking and relationship posts In particular, and have observed that you usually get a good number of responses to them, so please continue and don’t deprive your retinue of followers!

I enjoy reading all your posts. It would be sad if you were to leave. I ignore dumb posts.

Don't leave! This website is unique in my opinion. Every decent social media service is being invaded by trolls. If you leave here and go to another website, that website will eventually be invaded as well. We need to find a solution to the troll problem no matter where we go.

Well, I'm going to humbly ask that you do continue to post, see multiple reasons why below. πŸ˜‰

I agree with you completely, but if there is another atheist website out there, I imagine that the "barrage" would be similar to this one. If you go, you would be missed. 😟

Are there any? You can filter out some, but yes, it’s a constant subject here.

Use the filters and block features. I have manipulated the viewing on my device to be largely free of both religion and politics. As new members are constantly joining, many of whom have recently deconverted from religion, I think it safe to assume the topic will be pretty prevalent. Alot of venting seems to be needed by the recently ex-religious.

Zster Level 8 Sep 23, 2020

As for religion, I've been there, done that - and then some. I post occasionally but do not want to debate you on the subject. I see dumb shit popping up all the time. A recent one was how a god is helpful when a loved one dies but then not so wanted or helpful at other times. PLEASE do not post this hypocritical crap. Yes, I know the Buybull but this is not Sunday School. I do not worry about your god or think about him even in bad times. Gods are imaginary!

I know it can be bad at times. A lot of the people on this site have endured decades of religious indoctrination and have to speak to like minded people in order to heal. I am a lifelong Atheist, but I can sympathize with them.

Gohan Level 7 Sep 23, 2020

You took the words right out of my keyboard! It used to be fun checking in here, but it's become a progressively negative experience.

Please stay. You are a good example, and we would miss you terribly if you were to leave. 😯

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you.

Seems like my hiking posts are a drop in an ocean of religious blather.

@LiterateHiker A breath of fresh air! πŸ™‚

@LiterateHiker
They are wonderful reminders of what I haven't been able to do for several years! I love your hikes!

@Holysocks

Awww.... thank you.

Glad my hiking photos and stories are uplifting for you.

You can change your settings to hide any religious posts that are made in the public forums or block people who make such posts... I don't see any reason for you to leave...

@Cutiebeauty

How do I change my settings? Ah, the problems of the technology-deficient.

@LiterateHiker go to the front page, and click on the icon with three horizontal lines with dots on them.. To the left of the magnifying glass... Then exclude any public forum that is related to religion...

@Cutiebeauty

Thank you, dear!

@LiterateHiker anytimeπŸ™‚

@Cutiebeauty Which page is the front page?

I clicked on each item in the main bar menu and saw no β€œicon with three horizontal lines with dots on them.. To the left of the magnifying glass.”

@yvilletom click the "A" , upper left corner...

@yvilletom

I clicked on the cursive Agnostic.com logo on the top left of this page.

This took me to a page with three horizontal lines on the upper right. Click on those.

@LiterateHiker that's the ticketπŸ™‚

The delusional proselytizers (is that redundant?) are so annoying. It's unusual for one to send more than one message to me. I am not crude and honor the site posting rules, just make it clear they're wasting their time and mine.

To a proselytizer, I might say, "I'm sorry you have the religious delusion, my family had it too, but by the time I was 13, I understood the difference between reality and religion. You are wasting your time, and if you continue to annoy me, I will report you, which may result in your being banned from Agnostic."

A cooking forum would discuss food, a magician's forum would discus magic, a forum devoted to little purple things covered in fuzz would discuss little purple things covered in fuzz, it seems reasonable to expect an agnostic/atheist forum would discuss religion. I don't see the problem unless the topic is of little or no interest to you.

Maybe you'd be happier on a healthy lifestyles forum since that's your real passion and ditch the atheism theme entirely.. I offer that as a friendly suggestion based on what I know about you.

You're right, good luck!

Leelu Level 7 Sep 23, 2020

Please do not ever leave,Your a breath of fresh air on here with you point of views and commentarys , I would really miss you

@RoyMillar

Thank you, Roy. I appreciate your support and kind words.

Yeah, I had to block them out also. It gets nauseating.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:536778
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.