Agnostic.com

18 19

LINK I'm A Person Of Faith, And Hobby Lobby's Latest Stunt Fills Me With Rage

Hobby Lobby has the Xians pissed off, that makes me happy. HL suck$. I haven't shopped there in years, and I used to spend the bucks in their fabric department.

From the article:

In case you haven’t been following along, Hobby Lobby is absolute trash. They’ve been trash for a while, but their latest antics should have every American calling out their undemocratic, hateful b.s. once and for all. I don’t care how much you love to decoupage or how plentiful their supply of scrapbooking tidbits, no glue gun or knitting yarn is worth selling your soul to this devil.

Michael’s and Jo-Ann Fabrics are just down the road — and word has it, they take the Lobby’s coupons too.

To catch you up…on July 4, Hobby Lobby ran a full-page ad in newspapers titled “One Nation Under God” in which it advocated for a Christian-run government. The ad included quotes from the Founding Fathers and the Bible to support its promotion of tossing out that little thing in the Bill of Rights known as “separation of church and state,” and instead invoking a Christian government. According to Newsweek, Freedom From Religion Foundation says that the company had altered the quotes without providing the full context. The company’s name appeared in the bottom right corner of the ad, and it was also shared by the company’s official social media accounts.

So here’s the deal, folks: grab your knitting needles and glue guns, because we’re flipping some sewing tables. Do not — I repeat, DO NOT — give one more penny to this repulsive company.

This is exactly the kind of Christian-centric bullshit that gives all religion and people of faith a bad name. And it makes my blood boil with a hellfire rage.

I consider myself a person of faith. I am active in my church. But I am not Christian. And after reading this ad, I am horrified and scared. I’m sad too. I understand why people despise organized religion. I believe that religion – when done right — can be a source of healing, strength, and community for many people (though, of course, not all people and that’s fine). But behavior like this is exactly why people are leaving religion in droves. This hypocrisy is why people distrust religion.

I also have long believed that Christianity should be separated into those who are “Christian” and those who are “followers of Jesus” — because they are not the same at all. Exhibit A: this toxic ad promoting a brand of Christianity that would make Jesus weep.

Since Hobby Lobby filled its ad with religious quotes, let me remind folks of a few other quotes from the Bible, words attributed to Jesus himself:

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.” — Jesus (Matthew 7:15)

“Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven.” — Jesus (Matthew 6:1)

“And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.” – Jesus (Matthew 6:5)

So don’t take it from me, take it from Jesus himself. He would not have been here for this sacrilegious garbage that the Lobby spews forth.

This ad isn’t just hypocritical sacrilege to all people of faith, it’s also a slap in the face to Americans who value the freedoms that our country loves to tout. Look, America has a messed up history built by a white supremacist patriarchy, but there are a few things that we as Americans hold dear for good reason. Things like freedom to practice our religion, to worship what we hold sacred, whether that is god or God, Allah or the Buddha, science or love, or some combination of all of those things.

Read more at the link.

HippieChick58 9 July 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I drive further down the road to get to JoAnns or Michaels. I won't give Hobby Lobby my money.

BethPl Level 5 July 13, 2021

I boycotted HL many years ago, which is sad as they had a great fabric selection. Even my catholic son in law boycotts HL.

Wow. How many paragraphs until the actual point is made? TLDR.

Funny but their name alone signifies their mission. My question which of the hundreds of 'christian' sects will be allowed to rule?

I don't shop there, and never will.

Apparently they have been posting similar ads for years. I have never noticed, perhaps because I don't shop there anyway. I think it better to ignore them (or silently boycott) than to make a public commotion and give them publicity.

Let's go a little deeper. Steve Green heads up Hobby Lobby and also the Museum of the Bible in Washington, DC. This opened in 2017 and has Dead Sea Scroll forgeries and smuggling scandals going back prior to that. As a non-profit this POS charges you $19 to see stuff that is about as made up as the bible itself. Oh, it's OK though. Six stories and they even serve food there.

Be very careful what you wish for. I live and grew up in the UK. We have an established religion, the church of England (C of E). Bishops have guaranteed seats in our upper chamber and religious education is compulsory in all schools. State schools are all C of E and mornings for me consisted of an assembly where hymns were sung/ prays were said. All the while it was overseen by teachers who would inflict corporal punishment on any infraction whilst instilling "gods love". As a result according to recent figures at least 28% of UK adults do not believe Jesus existed at all.

Thanks! Good to know. I have already boycotted them for years, but you may have helped them leap-frog Chik fil-A on my shit-list of theocratic capitalist anti-democracy asshole companies. Don't shop Books-a-million, either.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. Hobby Lobotomy is the Spanish Inquisition.

I quit spending money with them when they denied birth control to employees.

Me too. Haven't been in one since. It is ridiculous that a corporation or company should seek a religious exemption from anything. HL thought they should have one from healthcare. What a joke! Maybe when they get the corporation to attend church we might consider it.

It’s important to recall that there are millions of churchgoers in this country who just want to be left alone by the government and have zero interest in politics.

That so-called oppressed Christians feel the desire to influence the political process in every way they can is a travesty, and would have the Framers turning in their graves!

Any number of our Founding Fathers have made contradictory comments/statements concerning Christianity and religion generally. The facts, however, considering their behaviors as well as their statements would appear to indicate that they tended to be a more irreverent lot than today's evangelicals depict them to be. What is true about the American Founding Fathers is that whatever form of Christianity they believed, it was not of a form like the evangelical movement of today which is a rather modern invention.

The Hobby Lobby guy, like the :My Pillow" guy, is a truly weird character.

Thank you! I’d stopped going there a while back but this just reinforces it for me

It sounds as crappy and lame as all other Christian copies of secular popular culture, like Christian rock 🤮

Boycotting them is nice and all, but maybe this calls for something more aggressive. Maybe a coordinated shoplifting campaign?

Isn't there some sort of hashtag Twitter doohickey that could spread the word?

Racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic, antisemitic are the type of people that follow Christianity. If anyone on this site ever sets foot in Hobby Lobby, you're a disgrace. Unless you're there to firebomb the place.

I haven't shopped there in over 20yrs. I hate that store.

Great fiction. (Because it's all make-believe.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:607840
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.