Agnostic.com

13 12

LINK Why Won’t People Take Low-Paying Jobs? Lying Evangelist Blames Laziness | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

If you can't live off of what they offer to pay, there isn't much point in taking the job. You would work yourself into bankruptcy.

snytiger6 9 Sep 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't buy into this. Some money is better than no money and in my state the minimum wage is now $10.30 with many people offering more in order to get employees they need. Bankruptcy is caused mostly by having no money. This brings me to the question of "what are these people living on?"Maybe they are living with other people to start with and become a burden even to them. OK, I'm giving myself away here. I draw social security and work 3 days a week. This allows me to live frugally and save a thousand dollars a month. I'm able to do what I want, buy what I want, and eat what I want. I know others who appear to have more than I but it is all material. In many cases it is keeping up with others as an image and has no reality.

They just want wage slaves , people working for low wages multiple jobs while employers get rich

Maybe the question should be "Why do people sometimes stay in a low paying job?"

One of the jobs I have held is an overnight manager of a stock crew in a train track town in GA.

If you show people that you see and appreciate that they are putting in an effort and praise them openly?

I kept a crew working instead of the history of people working only a couple days before just not showing up.

Treating workers nicely will often work in the short term for keeping them there, but in the long term, most people will leave as soon as they can find jobs with much better pay and benefits, because most people are not content with always being poor, struggling to meet their expenses and bills, and having no economic security. Nor should they be content with that.

@TomMcGiverin Oh. I completely agree with that. But as a manager I was not responsible for their paycheck.
The crew manager before me would yell and scream at people and often had people walk out in the middle of a shift.

@BufftonBeotch True, the owner is responsible for worker's getting paid and, ultimately, how much.. Your employer's business, for that manager job, sounds like it was more like a prison than a normal business, probably similar to how I hear Wal-Mart stores are run these days. The managers there act more like cops or prison officers. You had more success because you acted more like the good cop than the bad cop, but either way, it sounds like a shitty, exploitive situation, where the workers were more like prisoners doing time than normal workers, so no wonder they would leave as soon as they had another job to escape to.

@TomMcGiverin The major employer in town was a chicken plant...so.
You can imagine.
The alternative was far worse. I could barely stand to even drive by the place because of the smell.

@BufftonBeotch Yup, that explains a lot. I grew up in a town where the major employer was a meatpacking plant. And nowadays, it still is. So most people who lived there and didn't move there from somewhere else for one of the few good jobs there, would put up with just about any other job to stay out of the packing plant. That sort of town is a hellhole to live in and is a lot like most prison towns in America, where there is no other industry. It kind of beats down everyone who lives there emotionally.

@TomMcGiverin I have never considered any little town I have lived in a hell hole.
Some people are easier to get along with than others. But I think jackasses are liberally distributed in the rural and the urban areas both.

@BufftonBeotch We differ on that first point, but on the second one, I agree, I have met both good people and jerks, wherever I have lived, whether rural towns, college towns or the Des Moines area. I guess what makes a town a hellhole to me, is when there is little diversity, few college-educated people, lots of narrow-mindedness, and a very boring lack of arts, entertainment (besides country music), lots of churches, and very conservative politics being the norm. I would almost rather do prison time than live in such a stifling, empty environment.

To people like me, both environments would be equally damaging to my mental health. And that is also why, in my experience, most people like me, as well as probably most of us here on Agnostic, cope with living in places like that with lots of self-medication, thru either street drugs or alcohol, as well as making road trips as often as possible to places that are more stimulating and comfortable.

@TomMcGiverin I have also found kindred spirits and people who loved art everywhere.

People will astound you if you give them the chance.

@BufftonBeotch Suit yourself. I have not found the effort to be worth it, so I will stick to my tribe culturally and socially, yet continue to advocate politically for multiculturalism and equality.

I've debated you enough. I am a cultural and music snob and proud of it. If you choose to be different than that, fine for you, but you will not change my mind or browbeat me into apologizing for my choices and preferences.

if you have to work three jobs 7 days to pay rent you need a raise

I just wish all these bastards would drop dead.

He's a Fuckwad

Given that these people are living large off of conning people out of their money for a fantasy after life, they don’t work for a living themselves.

I would never have expected Graham to give a damn about people, whether they're the general public or his followers, so throwing them to the virus for his own benefit is no surprise.

Why should people work in jobs that are driving them further into debt? It makes no sense, yet too many Americans have swallowed the myth that it someone works hard and lives frugally, they'll advance to a 3-figure job in no time. I can't believe the people who insist to me that it's better for people to take a $10/hr job than to sit home not working.

Should not be controversial....it's only basic math, nothing more, nothing less.

@twill I agree, but logic has never been an American strong suit.

@Lauren I don't know how much people will take before there's a general strike... apparently quite a lot

@JonnaBononna I've been wanting to see general strikes for decades. Until the Dem Party is supporting general strikes, I will never believe they are really on the side of workers anymore, no matter how much lip service they still give to unions.

@TomMcGiverin agreed. They aren't on the side of workers any more than Republicans. And MAN, do people hate when I say that! Lol

@JonnaBononna Same here. They flip out because it turns their whole belief system on its head. They so desperately need to believe that Dems are the good guys and on their side in the class war, instead of a fake opposition party that colludes all the time with the Repubs because, for the most part, they are funded by the same people. It takes moral courage and a tough mind to allow oneself to realize that the two party system is rigged and that no help from it is ever coming to save the working class or average Americans from being crushed or pauperized. Most people can't handle living with such limited hope and such harsh reality for the future. It takes courage to recognize that we are likely doomed and that there is no savior coming. So instead they just get angry at us for challenging their delusions and treat us as the crazy ones. The still believe that all that needs to happen to save America and make things great again is to elect Dems, any Dems, and things will be alright. Not going to happen as long as almost all the Dems are corporate Dems. With them all we get is happy talk and identity politics.

And if you tell them to vote third party instead of for Dems, they parrot the same tired old lines about wasting your vote and that third parties can't win, etc. Well of course they can't if most people believe that and vote accordingly, but as long as we have elections, for the time being, a majority voting for third party candidates WOULD win, all it would take is for people to quit believing the propaganda from the corporate media and the major parties. People would need to ignore the propaganda and vote their conscience, then it would happen, that's all it would take.

You would either work yourself into bankruptcy or, if you are able to supplement your slave wages by using state or federal assistance programs, like Food Stamps, Medicaid, etc., you can let the government subsidize your sleazeball employer's exploitation scheme. In Europe, McDonald's workers are all unionized, have benefits, and make around $25 an hour in US dollars, and yet their burgers only cost a dollar or so more than in the US, so I also don't buy the usual conservative excuse that paying workers a living wage means making prices so high that businesses can't survive or be profitable. The only ? is how much profit is fair and how much is too much or too greedy.

how much profit is where I have an issue ..... the asshole papa john said he could not afford a nickel raise because of stockholders......I realize that a nickel for 5000 employees is a bunch ...I remember when ppl invested and were happy for a modest increase they did not expect to make double their money ....now they want to be rich in a year.... and while he denied his workers he gives tours of his mansion on a hill overlooking the ocean with a cottage for the yard man and tennis court and pools and helipad...I didn't see a helipad I added that .....

A RIght Wing Puppet, just like his daddy

twill Level 7 Sep 7, 2021

Nobody, be they doctor or day laborer, really has anything to sell but their time......and Time is all any of us have.

Aww, I feel so bad for greedy shithead employers that they are now having trouble hiring new wage slaves...... maybe if they provided a living wage and benefits they wouldn't have that problem. And if their business model doesn't allow for that and a modest profit, maybe their business shouldn't exist and they should try going to work for someone else, and see how it feels to be a wage slave. Exploitation should not be the norm in capitalism or American businesses, but it is. So I don't feel bad when the labor market finally pushes back on that, since unions and the government sure won't do it.

People have no obligation to supplement one's desire to own a business with their life. If you can't afford to pay a living wage, you can't afford to own a business.

What I said above. What really kills me, also, is how many small business owners, who are wannabe rich types, who dream of becoming a big business, drink the Repub Kool-Aid and actually identify with all the Repub donors who are fat cats and corporations, as if the Repub Party actually cares about small businesses. They don't, and in fact, classwise, the small business owner has more in common with blue collar and middle class workers, in the class war, than they do with the top1% that the Repubs serve. But you can never get them to drop their delusions of grandeur and their worship of their betters. Suckers....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620999
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.