Agnostic.com

58 114

10 of my favorite Neil deGrasse Tyson quotes:
because he's just so quotable

1. The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.

2. We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.

3. The more I learn about the universe, the less convinced I am that there's any sort of benevolent force that has anything to do with it, at all.

4. The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.

5. Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.

6. When scientifically investigating the natural world, the only thing worse than a blind believer is a seeing denier.

7. Ignorance is a virus. Once it starts spreading, it can only be cured by reason. For the sake of humanity, we must be that cure.

8. Down there between our legs, it's like an entertainment complex in the middle of a sewage system. Who designed that?

9. I love the smell of the universe in the morning.

10. God is an ever-receding pocket of? scientific ignorance.

silvereyes 8 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Perhaps we've never been visited by aliens because they have looked upon Earth and decided there's no sign of intelligent life."

gearl Level 8 Dec 12, 2017

My mind has never been complex enough to be scientific, I just really enjoy listening to smart people. Humor, wit, intelligence, what could be more fun? Well......yeah....there is that.

I think a lot of people shortchange themselves. At its core, science is a method if observation, hypothesis, and testing. We all do these things as children, yet we get bogged down by the equations and vocabulary and memorization of science classes and we forget to remain curious about the world. But we all have the capacity to be scientific, even if we aren't professional scientists. If you still have interest in what the smart people are saying, you still have the heart of the scientist you were as a little kid. 🙂

NdT took over where Carl Sagan left off. I still like Sagan's "I would rather know than believe."

The man is brilliant! Those statements display more wisdom than most men generate in their entire lifetimes.

The quotes are AMAZING.

Dr. Tyson for President!

Can you imagine Dr Tyson as president?! Who would make an appropriate running mate?

@rsmith61616 Dr Phil

I've heard a few before, number eight about the entertainment complex is great.

So what would Tyson's design be? Putting his dick on his forehead?

Tyson isn't competent to do even very straightforward calculations like spin grav of a space station or pressure of a football. I wouldn't trust him to design a ceiling fan.

@HopDavid how is the 'spin grav of a space station' straight forward? As far as the comment referring to intelligent design I would submit that this is the point: there is no intelligent design. There is no optimal solution, and why would a 'dick on his forehead' be any worse then the current state of affairs (apart from the obvious boost in hat sales)?

@HopDavid He seems to be more than competent enough to make a simple, straightforward joke that doesn't require overthinking to "get it."

@RavenMunnin Spin grav is ω^2 r. A freshman physics student should have that down. But Tyson doesn't.

@RavenMunnin, @Paul628 Apparently my joke zoomed over your head.

@HopDavid I guess it did.

@HopDavid so you think that is all it takes to get micro gravity on a space station? I bet you also just think they throw the luggage on a plane and take off. (also I have never heard of that referred to as 'spin grav' it looks like centripetal acceleration to me).

@RavenMunnin
Item 15 of this list is where Tyson botches a very straightforward calculation that should be simple for a freshman physics student:
[hopsblog-hop.blogspot.com]

Inertia in a rotating frame is known as centrifugal force. Not truly a force but can be treated as such when you're on board a spinning space station or any sort of centrifuge. Here's an XKCD cartoon for you:

I love that guy! Hadn't heard #8 before....lmao 😀

@astrochuck, hahaha! 😉

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that he is (in my opinion) the intelligent woman's SEX SYMBOL!

He is constantly botching basic math and physics and mangling history.

He may seem like a super smart astrophysicist. If you're the typical Katie Perry or Kim Kardashian fan.

@HopDavid No, actually....I'm NOT a Kardashian fan. I'm referring to the Neil I see on his talk show, responding rationally, enjoying humor and NOT being the super-judgmental person you seem to be.

@LucyLoohoo In the above quotes I see Neil suggesting that he and his fans are the cure to ignorance spreading like a virus.

It seems to me it's Neil and his fans passing judgement here. Take a look in a mirror. Ignorance afflicts you as well as the neighbors you're looking down on.

@HopDavid ...humility can be cultivated in a human-if he represents
a haughty field of study,, don't blame him ; blame the way science is
Represented in a society ;...he is a
soldier in a war against ignorence
just like Mr. Robert Rodale was in agriculture---messengers with a message that is very needed in my humble opinion ?

@BBJong Looks to me as if SOMEONE has an agenda....(not you...not me.....)

He is the best. He is like the Obama of science. He is Intelligent, witty, informative, and does it with class.

He misinforms. He botches high school math and physics. And his histories are invented fictions.

@HopDavid A bit of a TROLL here, aren't you?

This is proof of intelligent life in the universe.

Tyson and his fans demonstrate dumber than a bag of rocks life in the universe.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. This is true with things that are not tangible as well.

I say numbers 9 a lot. I love the smell of the universe in the morning.

MoniB Level 6 Dec 11, 2017

Neil is the closes thing I could eccept as a god!

Every time I read about some god fraud bible thumper being upset because some freethinking agnostic explains why things are the way they are because of something Tyson said about evolution, or the thousands of flaws in the bible. I realize that they are not worried about some poor persons soul, they are worried about one less sucker adding their hard earned money to the collection plate.
TV Evangelists are the worst. I would love to see those sons of bitches get taxed right out of business.

...total agreement-take away
the platform/megaphone

My favorite quote "The more I know, the more I know I don't know. "Roland Walker Stockton MO.

Words to live by.

Many of these are repackaged Carl Sagan quotes.

and 8 I think was pointed out by a comedian, just don't remember which. Carlin maybe? Still love Tyson but yeah these arent all original thoughts for sure. Just great ones nonetheless.

@Wurlitzer If he's taking credit for other people's material he's a plagiarist.

@HopDavid HO HUM!

Definitely one of my favorite people

I like 7 and 9.
7 because I believe ignorance is contagious.
9 because they asked the astronauts what the moon rocks smelled like when they came back inside the their ship. They said spent shotgun shells. I can beleive that.

I think he’s awesome. He is coming to Phoenix in later this year, October I think. The topic is Live in the Universe. I want to get tickets to see him.

I think I would like to hear and see more from you.

Neil, Henry Rollins and Hunter S Thompson are my heros! So stoked were getting another season of Cosmos!

I imagine it's very difficult to be in the public eye in america, and come out as an atheist.

More difficult than some places at least rarely is it life-threatening. Don't know of any well known politicians but some in other fields. Probably more common in the UK

I'd only heard of #1 before. LMAO at #8.

CS60 Level 7 Dec 11, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.