Agnostic.com

90 13

Do you care if you are remembered when you die?

EmeraldJewel 7 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

90 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I care to pass on my family stories. ...my daughters have clear minds without the degeneration of faiths to pass on such stories and mine. ....not a grandpa yet but my more recent lovers value "living memory" ....America is a racist melting pot so more distinct stories from my Dutch grandfather neither fit in my childhood wooden shoes nor the Dutch language he never taught me but did speak with Teddy Roosevelt in South Dakota. ....sharing memories now is how we all can be remembered into the future. ....I have Atheist forebears and I do delete faith obsessions that other believers in my family wanted me to follow. ....our science and skills define us better than preacher echoes

No. Because I won't know. I'll be dead.

Being concerned about being remembered is just poisonous ego. If you are or you aren't it won't matter to you if you are dead. You will know NOTHING.

I don't know if I'll be remembered, but I hope that some will look back on my life and smile. So, maybe a fraction of myself cares, but in all honesty, does it really matter? I'll be dead.

Yes. 100% yes. Phylis was a family friend who made carrot cake for the holidays every year and would give them to her family and included us. When she died of cancer, there were a few years without carrot cake. Now I make about 30 carrot cakes and 150 cupcakes and deliver them to friends and family between Thanksgiving and Christmas. When I do it, I think of how much work Phylis put into this and how she included us. I remember how she used to yell at my father and put him in his place when he needed it. I remember the first time my father apologized. I was 24 and being deployed and he screamed at me when I told him. Phylis yelled at him and changed my relationship with my father forever. When ever a friend loses someone, I bring them "Fuck Cancer" cupcakes and tell them about Phylis and what a difference she made in my life and how my memory of her changes me and changes the world.

I don't want to be remembered for anything but to know that I lived a life worth remembering. I want to make a difference that outlives me, by even 5 minutes, because then I will have changed the world. I won't care once I'm dead as I'll be gone, but I care now.

I'd settle for being remembered while I'm still alive.

Keeping it real... This is good !!!!

No not really.

I guess it would depend on how I am remembered and I guess that's dependent on how I live

Not in the least. I just live life. I hope to make others smile and try to do right, but remembering me isn't important. Remember how to treat others.

By my family would be nice. I’m not going to be around so it doesn’t really matter.

No, I don’t. I have asked my family to cremate me when I die. So the funeral service will be held only with the family members at home or restaurant.

No, because I assume at some point everyone I know will get dementia anyways.

This isn't a real focus for me. No, I guess I don't.

No. As a former teacher, college instructor, and staff developer for public schools, as well as simple contacts as a person, I know that I have influenced hundreds, if not thousands of people. From feedback I know that for many that influence was highly positive. I don't care if those influenced don't remember where he influence came from. But, I do take pride in the fact that the influence occurred.

Not particularly. I know there are some who will remember me. Their reasons are their own.

Not really, i'll be remembered by those whose lives i touched for a short time, then they too will be gone ?

Not sure..... lots of people remember Hitler, Sadaam and Stalin.... so......

Nobody is remembered after they die. To prove it, tell me all about your great-great-great- grandmother.

She wasn't so great after all, was she? 😛

She had kids , who had kids , who had kids , who had kids , who had kids , and here I am . I had kids , who had kids . Although , looking at the geneology stuff , can be interesting and fun .

Not at all. Not sure they remember me now?

jab60 Level 6 May 12, 2018

What? I will be dead.......

A person dies twice. Once as they go in the ground and again the last time their name is uttered.

I would like to be remembered, but only if it inspires or brings a smile.

That's quite depressing and true.

Only by my daughter. At the moment every one else can KMA.

I'm not that sure I am remembered now.

Not really. Just my having lived and interacted with people has changed the world (I think for the better). I don't feel a need to be remembered, because I know the world is better place for my having been in it whether or nothing anyone remembers me. That is enough for me.

Not at all.

I think we all want to be remembered, )but in reality we will be forgotten over time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79259
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.