Agnostic.com

314 12

Incest: Immoral or Moral?

I was asked this question today by a theist. If there is no God why is safe sex between brother and sister immoral to an atheist? This guy was smart to add safe sex because it closed off my avenue to argue the health issue. So, I was thinking why is it immoral if it is consensual? I understand we find it gross but is that because of Christian influence?

• 140 votes
  • 79 votes
paul1967 8 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

314 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Incestuous relationships are more.common in certain areas of the world. We can't simply say "ew gross" because of our adversion to it. Genetically speaking everyone has offered why it's not a good idea as recrssive genes. However socially speakjbg there is no good reason why it is Immoral

When playing around with sex, one may become pair bonded. As a teenager, I did with my steady girlfriend. She moved far away with her family. It was devastating for us.

Now think about the issues when one sibling pair bonds and the other does not. You are living with the tension of unrequited romantic love, with someone you will have a familial relationship with for life. This kind of mismatch will really test your patience or your relationship. So sex play with sibling without having a solid bond is hazardous, if not immoral.

On the other hand, consider a couple that falls in love and plans to delay pregnancy. Or siblings / cousins that fall in love and will have (frequent) "safe" sex. Of course, a single contraceptive is around 80% effective annually. (Always using two might be 96%. That means your odds of pregnancy are about 50% in nine years.)

If the children have 25% odds of having one (or more) active recessive diseases, the relationship is far less important than the suffering non-health of their progeny. So I conditionally call this reproduction immoral.

You don't want the tragedy of a cemented pair bond with someone who is likely to produce a diseased child.

So my advice to young people is to get your genetic testing as soon as you can afford to. Compare your test results before getting all hot and heavy. This is essential for siblings and cousins.

It's so clear it's wrong, can't think of anything decent about it. We cannot do just anything we want. Sad if anyone thinks it's okay.

Why is it wrong if it's two consenting adults that take responsible measures to not get pregnant?

Are you saying that other cultures which allow it are indecent?

Morality is societal relative. Morality exists before religion, and religion justifies it. Not the other way around. As the social mores changes as does morality and religious reason behind it.

I agree completely and you explained it so well

Yes, well said.

As long as they're two consenting adults it shouldn't be a problem.

Agree somewhat. Prevent pregnancy, otherwise, best to get DNA scans first.

Any time close relatives have sex and a pregnancy results, the couple is playing sexual Russian roulette. Recessive genes that can produce disorders exist in almost every person, having accumulated over thousands of years. When close relatives interbreed, the risk of those recessive genes being in both parents and making a disordered child skyrockets. A disordered child is wasted reproductive potential. It is always better for people to find mates outside the family.

"23 and me", and other genetic testing labs, can provide one with information about potential recessive gene issues.

It is funny how technology both creates new ethical issues, yet resolves others.

WTF??

WTF? What? I don't understand?

@paul1967 I think she is saying she is against it LOL. I would ask her but her profile says if you are not a level four she will block you. WTF? That doesn't sound like anyone I'm interested in communicating with.

If you want to lower the bar to just propagation of the species.... Inbreeding is not good for the long-term viability of the species. There are a host of issues that can result.

Sex is never safe, when brounderies are not respected! Hearing stories from my peers as an older person...it does not bode well in old age! It appears to eat away at their mental health!

Because as long as it's consensual and safe, no harm is being done.

Ok, so we're assuming consensual sex, obviously. Between adults. Like, all parties involved are adults, not most of them.

Even if the potential for reproduction is involved, the potential for irreperable damage to the species is negligable, right? With such a diverse gene pool, regardless of how screwed up some subsection of the population gets through inbreeding (see Blue People living in West Virginia mountains...), there is a larger genetic base to mitigate whatever irregularities arise from the inbreeding of various small groups. As long as everybody isn't doing it, right? Although perhaps that's where the whole biblical provision came from in the first place. Too many villages full of people with hip-displasia and the cognitive inability to do much of anything other than fuck their siblings.

I mean, they inbred the hell out of dogs. You like your dog, right!? It might be a fantastic idea to selectively inbreed people. Just remove the ones with non-desreable traits from the gene pool. Although I'm pretty sure any sort of selective breed in humans is considered Eugenics, and that's generally frowned upon these days... Nazis fucked it up for everybody.

So, if you remove procreation from the picture completely (as the OP did)... then sure, why not? What about this consideration: what will children who grow up in an environment where Mommy and Daddy are Brother & Sister going to develop as their paradigm for romantic relationships? Since its obviously acceptable to fuck your brother or sister in this environment ("Mom and Dad are such hypocrites! Grandma says they've been hooking up since they were OUR age, but they won't let us do it yet..." ) what's to stop the kids from banging?

Assuming they are of the same age & maturity level, is this any more immoral than the parents banging? They would probably think its normal... enough... Keep in mind that aforementioned kids are probably not genetically related (unless adopted from same parents) as they cannot have come from original Brother & Sister, since we have already ruled out the potential for procreation in this example.

Synopsis: A moral acceptance of incest would lead to incest to become socially acceptable and potentially integrated into mainstream culture... but as long as there is no potential for children to arise from the union, it is no more or less morally acceptable than banging someone who isn't related to you.

In other words, if we ever find out the world is going to end in less time than it takes to gestate full-term, it becomes perfectly acceptable to fuck your sister.

P.S.- I am an only child.

Medically speaking I first ask; How actually safe is "safe sex" considering that almost EVERY form of contraception is, at the very best, only about 80-90% effective, except, of course, for total abstinence or surgical techniques such as; 1) a irreversible Vasectomy for males and a total hysterectomy for females, or, 2) castration of males.
Genetically speaking, incest is a very hazardous activity in any human relationship between brother and sister, father and daughter, mother and son or first cousin to first cousin with a direct genetic link.
That is why, in the wild , most mammals and many other species will drive out their young once they are old enough to survive on their own to limit the chances of the genetic pool becoming tainted by incestuous in-breeding thus causing deformities ranging from very minor ones right through to the most horrific.
DNA strands, which every living thing are made from, are very delicate and very easily 'damaged' ergo Incest is NOT a religious Morality Issue but an Ethical and Genetic Issue for a living things and, on a personal point of opinion here, I think that with all the advancements in Invitro Fertilisation and random donations of sperm, etc, human kind is slow but inexorably heading down the road to a destination where in-breeding and the genetic disasters will become the norm unfortunately.

Ok, so habitual inbreeding sucks for the species. I'm with you there.

What about selective inbreeding for desired traits? Un-natural selection at it's finest! I'm pretty sure the genetic errors could be identified and sterilized before being introduced to the larger gene pool.

At which point does this strategy become morally unconscionable? Who ever thought non-reproductive sister-fucking would become the safe argument? 😀

@xylophonix Are you talking about Eugenics by any chance?
Mankind has tried that over 100 years with canines in particular and now the sickening results, sickening when viewed in the various forms of defects, etc, that are common-place in various dog breeds btw,.
It is not religion that first said NO to in-breeding, it was nature itself, religion only, as it has done with everything else, grabbed the idea and ran with it for its own ' benefit.'

@Triphid I was totally talking about Eugenics. Mind you, not advocating it. Well, Devil's Advocating, I suppose.

I would contend that man has been selectively breeding dogs for a lot longer than 100 years. More like 10,000. I've heard it theorized that the first "dogs" were wolves that followed hunter-gatherer humans and lived off their scraps much like urban raccoons. The more docile of these wolves were tolerated by said humans, and they became "successful" in an evolutionary context by ultimately forming a symbiotic relationship (you give them food, they tell you if a threat is near). Over time, these animals would grow more and more docile as all of the aggressive ones would have been killed or driven off, and these non-desireable traits would not become part of the "dog" gene pool. The results are hard to dispute. We've got a whole race of subservient creatures.

Now, targeted inbreeding for physical traits tends to yield undesirable results due to the fact that our genetic markers do not serve a single purpose... they express themselves in various disparate ways. It could be that within a limited gene pool a double-recessive target trait is only expressed when coupled with other non-desireable traits, but when introduced into a larger gene pool, some of these undesirable traits can be bred out while leaving the desirable one.

I feel like I sound like a Nazi. All of this is just trying to justify sister-fucking. FYI- I have no sisters, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. I do have an agressive, non-domesticated wolf in it, though. 😀

@xylophonix Yes, I agree that humans have been selectively breeding dogs, in particular, for over 10,000 years however it has been since the arrival of the Pedigreed " Show" Dogs and breeding of such in the last hundred+ years that the genetic damage has become far more obvious, e.g. the British Bulldog which now has such a shortened nose that it finds it almost impossible to breathe and thus cannot cool its blood and lower its body temperature normally as do other dog breeds, it cannot mate without human intervention now since its hind quarters are far to weakened by specific breeding that the male cannot mount the female and the female cannot support the weight of the male anyway during mating.
That is just 2 example of the damage wrought by humans on the various ' breeds' of dogs, there are innumerable more examples that I could list but I'll leave those examples for others who may be concerned enough to research them for themselves.
If this is what we have done and are still doing to ' man's best friend,' then what are doing to man himself with, for example, the massive upward rise of things such as Invitro -fertilization using virtually anonymous Sperm Donors and laws supposedly protecting their identities from the children they produce?
How, I ask, can for example male child A ( born by such intervention or adoption know that female child A is NOT a blood and genetic close relative when they decide to wed and start a family?
The American idea of ' blood tests' before marriage appears to be a ' good' one BUT that only goes just so far and, in my opinion, smacks a bit of the Eugenics Ideology as well.
Are we not simply 'paving the road' to the eventual 'dumbing down' of our own species by so rapidly embracing things such as Invitro-fertilization without pausing to consider the future outcomes?

The goats I raise were feral for a couple hundred years, so essentially wild animals, until the 1980s & I assure you, they have absolutely NO qualms about incest. The dominant male goat will drive out only his male kids & happily mate with his daughters & the daughters he has by them.

@Carin Yes that does happen in numerous species but eventually the genetic pool becomes so polluted that all kinds of deformities, etc, begin to show up.

you forgot "neither". not every action in the world is one or the other, some are not a question of morality.

is it moral or immoral to tie your left shoe first?

I do not view it as an issue of morality. As at least one comment pointed out, it's an evolved trait that makes us feel that way about it. it is not an issue of "morality", it's an issue of internal mechanisms that make us feel squeamish about it. and the reason that evolved should be plain to see in any heavily inbred community.

Well, when I first started school back in 1959 there was still that archaic ' push' ( religion based of course) that left-handed people MUST be FORCED at all costs to become Right-Handed.
I've lost count of the numbers of knuckles that I had from Teachers wielding wooden rulers fitted with thin metal strips in the edges of them that they repeatedly lashed my knuckles because I refused and was unable to learn to write with my right hand.
I still have, somewhere stored away, a letter sent home by one particular Teacher, a True Dragon-Lady in every way, shape and almost form btw, to my Dad stating that " Your child is little more than a terrible, sinful, sinister Imp of the Devil himself because he resists our kindly(????) efforts to help him mend his defective ways."
Later I found that the word ' sinister' was derived from the Latin - sinistera/sinisterii meaning anything LEFT of the normal ( recto - RIGHT, socially acceptable, etc, etc,) and that Catholicism had altered the meanings to imply that ' sinister' should mean ' sinful,' evil,' or ' in league with the forces of Evil.'
Guess what, I'm still left-handed when writing and using various tools, etc.
So, YES, tying your left shoe first was once classed as being an Immoral person and should religion ever get its way as it once had, we may, very sadly, see the old attitudes rear their ugly, disgusting heads once more.

@Triphid I'm left handed too and I was never subjected to that kind of abuse (I went to grade school in the 1970s and 80s). I have never read anything in the Bible condemning left-handed people either.

@DaleHusband_HS But you went to ' Grade School in America I presume whereas I went to Primary School ( Grade School) in Australia in the late 50s and early 70s.
In the ORIGINAL transcription of the Goat-Herders Guide to the Galaxy, aka the bible, you will a passage in Exodus ( Chpt. 2, verse 11 if memory serves me correct) that states, " Thou shalt smite off the hands and heads of those whom with their sinister ( left) hands cannot change to the ways that are those the Lord, thy God and be of the Recto ( right) handed ones."

We find it gross because we have evolved that sentiment to prevent chromosome damage. Same reason we feel sick when we smell rotten meat. Our instincts are telling us it's not good for us.

I don't think it's a moral issue and I don't care if cousins or siblings do it as long as they are safe. Same reason I don't care whether people drink or do drugs, unless they are pregnant. What you do with your life is nobody's business but yours; as long as you don't hurt people, kids included.

It's Nature's Way of keeping us from having two headed 12 toed babies

And yet there are still Siamese twins!

Here's a better question; why do Xians have a problem with incest when the bible advocates it prominently? If you believe the bible is the literal word of god then incest is the ONLY explanation for the continued presence of Man after the flood. Since nothing in the bible claims that god repopulated the world with, y'know, magic, then the only other means available would've been an ongoing exchange of genetic material within Noah's family.

Also, who did Adam & Eve's kids marry?

i don't see it as a moral issue. it was presented (eons ago) as a moral issue because god was obviously punishing people who slept with close relations (genetically punishing them, right?) but safe sex, and we're talking adults... it makes people cringe. it makes ME cringe. but on a moral level, i can't see anything wrong with it, as long as reproduction is not involved. well, maybe one thing: if it becomes the norm, reproduction is LIKELY to become involved in most cases. people do have unsafe sex, no matter what you tell them to do. that is why some states require a blood test before issuing a marriage license.

g

p.s. i do wonder what you mean by christian influence. the taboo dates back WELL before christianity!

@genessa Exactly, it goes back to the earliest times even before the evolution of mankind.

@Triphid earliest times, definitely. before the evolution of mankind... no such thing as "before" because evolution is a continuous process. perhaps you mean prehistorical times?

g

@genessa Hominids/Humans eventually evolved from a very early mammalian species that was around during the final decades or so of the Age of the Dinosaurs, that in turn slowly evolved into numerous other forms, one of which was the earliest primate type species and over more ages of time it too evolved and various "off-shoot" species evolved from there, one being the earliest hominids such Australopithecus and onwards until man ( Homo Sapiens) arrived upon the scene. Ergo, " before the Evolution of Mankind" is NOT incorrect.
Prehistoric is simply a broad terminology used to describe events etc, that occurred BEFORE written Historical Records were kept.
Yes, evolution is a continual process but it has a starting point for every living thing and for some it also has a finishing point whether by natural terrestrial, extra-terrestrial or, in the case of human actions and interventions, slow extinction events such as humans are bringing upon the life of animals etc, ( including our own future generations) on this planet.
Why then, since Incestuous mating, according to your comment only seems to have occurred in humans, out the thousands and thousands of fossils of earlier animal species, etc, have there not been the malformations/deformities found that are directly attributable to incestuous behavior amongst them?

@Triphid i didn't say incest started only with human beings, or that it is unique to human beings! gosh, why would i say that? my cat tries to hump his daughters all the time (good thing he's fixed). i didn't, and i wouldn't, say that. and i know what prehistoric means, thanks. i said incest taboos in humans predates written history. i don't know why or how, but think you thought i said the opposite of what i said! i might also note that there is no clear date when suddenly homo sapiens popped into being. it was a slow process like so much else, and mankind as we know it involves a little cross-breeding with neanderthals, who, i suspect, may have had the same taboos against incest. i believe there are other animals (not my kitties) that have such taboos, but they don't write them down lol

g

Moral and immoral seem to be judgements handed down by the church. Sex between 2 consenting adults is no one elses business.

If that be your opinion then I feel sorry for both you and any future generations that hold to your principles for most surely there will be some possibly horrific malformations/deformities occurring in your genetic lines of the future.

@Triphid who said anything about procreation?

@Ktruin Well, unless precautions such as a Vasectomy for the males and a total Hysterectomy for the female are undertaken prior to any sexual relations taking place, somewhere sometime and somehow Nature will have its own way and suddenly procreation has become a reality.

I'm astonished there is any question here?!?!?! yikes

Not going by any religious beliefs it does not seem natural!

God populated the world through incest, ok with him. Makes me feel nauseated, inner moral code says no to incest.

god (fictional character of course) was just fine with lot's daughters getting him drunk and raping him in order to repopulate the world, as they saw it. then, this god was a funny character all around.

g

@genessa "God a funny character all round, " I'd say this Imaginary, Invisible Sky Daddy was more of a cross between a Narcissist, Psychopath, Socio-path, Ego-maniacal Egotistical Misogynist with attributes that the likes of Nero, Caligula, Hitler and the Nazis and even Pol-Pot lacked and would be jealous of.
Is it any wonder that Atheists are the most caring and humane of the human race with such a role model as this Judeo- Xtian-Islamic Supreme Being.

@Triphid again, i gently disagree only in part, because there are different gods even in the same bibles. they're all supposed to be the same guy but they can't be. some of them are dreadful and some are not. it doesn't matter because they're ALL fictional.

g

@genessa Earlier mankind literally INVENTED Gods/Goddesses, etc, in attempts to explain how things happened etc, and then these " supreme beings" developed the traits, both good and bad, of the purveyors of those beliefs.
As a Philosopher once said, " When creating a Deity, first one MUST it Invisible, Intangible, Unimpeachable then add the best and worst traits of those who both invent it and will worship it."
Hence, the Abrahamic God was invented as per the Old Testament one filled with Ire, Dictatorial behaviour and actions, Blood-lust, etc, etc, then altered somewhat to suit the times as the New Testament was created and written, i.e. a few new P.R. writers and voila, we have the deity that is worshipped these days, same deity, slightly mellowed down to suit the tastes, etc, of the more enlightened worshippers, nothing more, nothing less, just the same wolf, the same sheep's clothing just a small change of overall colour.

Inbreeding magnifies genetic defects.

safe sex means no breeding, in or otherwise.

g

I'm pretty sure that in some cultures it's not only moral, it's standard practice. As with any inbreeding, offspring are more likely to have genetic defects than when sire and dame are from different lineage, so the only issue I CAN see would be if children result from the sex. But morality is very subjective, and often stems from religious beliefs (whether we are aware they've been beaten into us or not)...

To me it's immoral, because all sex must include complete consent, and I don't think people who are related can give true consent, because of power dynamics, etc.

Cousins

Start out with the fact that I am assuming that we are dealing with adults and not minors. Next consider that incest is a secular taboo that religious people hold, not the other way around. In two separate instances in the bible incest would be needed to repopulate. (Adam/Eve and Noah/Wife/Sons) As for immorality:

1. There is no 100% safe sex, and any child conceived could suffer defects as a result.
  2. Sex complicates things, you can lose a good friend you have had sex with, siblings are more so.
  3. The Westermarck effect plays a role, sex in this setting would be prone to power differences.
  4. The social taboo would be unavoidable, a long term relationship would be either built on lies or ridiculed be most people you would meet.

This does get interesting with step siblings, I know of a case where two teens were dating and then became step siblings later on. They tried to keep dating after but it failed. There are some cases where siblings have found out they were related after they had already had sex, I assume they were in need of therapy.

In the end, the morality would be highly situational, but I would say the taboo serves us well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.