Agnostic.com

28 1

Do you make the distinction between being skeptical vs. cynical?

Which are you most? Or, are you generally a trusting person?

TheAstroChuck 8 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In things of science I need proof I'm a skeptic.
Dealing with people I very cynical.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out the right way to say that.
You nailed it.

@KKGator yeah but I left out the word am by the way thank you

Well said. Agreed.

@Akfishlady, @KKGator I think cynicism has a lot to do with questioning a person's motives or nature.

@bingst Which I do ALL the time.

Absolutely. Skepticism is positive and healthy. You can be skeptical but still accepting of any new found facts. Cynicism is negative and constant. If your cynical you look to prove the negativity in everything.

I see cynicism as unattractive. And some wear their cynicism like a badge of honor.

I am extremely skeptical and not at all cynical.

Yes! Being skeptical means holding out for more evidence before accepting (or rejecting) a proposition. Being cynical means harboring negative a bias, seeing only the darker side of human motivations or natural tendencies.

Skeptical - yes sometimes, and I try not to be cynical but it is harder in these times then it use to be.

Skepticism means you need convincing evidence. Cynicism means you think most things aren't what they seem because you distrust human nature. That's how I look at it.

I for one do make a distinction, skepticism is based on evidence. Cynicism is not evidence based, it's a personal assumption. Being a skeptic does not stop me from being a cynic at times.

Skeptical means questioning in nature. Cynical can mean so jaded that one believes in nothing, and/or knowing and not caring. I am a skeptic, bit not a cynic.

I suppose in simple terms my skepticism comes out with an enquiring mind my cynicism comes out with sarcasm 🙂

While I make the distinction, I find that there are times... especially in this political climate... when I can be more cynical than I am skeptical.

I'm pretty cynical right now. I'm also a skeptic. But my life experiences have me quite cynical.
People suck for the most part..

I have hope in children. That's why I volunteer and teach them.

@TheAstroChuck I don't see the reply ?

@TheAstroChuck agreed!

I take my scepticism very seriously, so I try to do a mental check that I still know the difference between the two.

People that say they don't believe man landed on the moon because they're sceptics kind of piss me off for instance. They're not sceptics. They're cynics of the worst order imo.

I am skeptical by education, cynical by experience. I'm not so much "untrusting" as I am aware that many people are not telling the truth about their desires, their motivations, or their intentions. Often, I don't think even they are aware they aren't telling the truth.

A cynic is made as a result of the initial failure to exercise the judicious amount of skepticism in the first place.

They are not the same thing at all.

Yes and I am both. Which am I most?..... thats a tough one to answer. I think that I am cynical by nature but I try to be skeptical instead?

I'm skeptical. I wised up to the evil in the world very, very slowly and now I think it would cost me too much to become cynical.

i am skeptical of some things and cynical about others. neither term describes my attitude toward the existence or nonexistence of a god. regarding that, i am an atheist.

g

I'm neither skeptical nor cynical, I'm right.

I am skeptical of almost all claims until evidence is provided the only thing that I am very cynical of is religion it's so bogus and incredulous that I don't know how those people who follow these things can be literally that dense.. no offense meant. I am also extremely cautious around people who say they follow christianity as I have had very negative experiences with these people one resulting in my being unable speak for three months.
Barring those things I have always been of the opinion treat every individual the same way you would wish them treat you until such time that they may give you reason do otherwise.
So far this works well.

I am skeptical when it comes to claims that, without supporting evidence, seem too good to be true. For example, You can't melt an ice cube with a microwave [you can't] I am cynical of long debunked claims or outrageous claims like a Young Earth, talking snakes, magical gardens and human women giving birth without the benefit of human male spermatoza.

An ice cube will melt in a microwave if the temperature in the room is above freezing..

@Stephanie99 OK, I modified my original message to delete (in) and insert (with). I trust this will make your joy complete.

Good question. I don't see a problem with either word. We should be skeptical of claims not based on proof, and we should be cynical about people who make such and similar claims and whose motivations we should distrust.

I'm both, but that isn't the same thing. Skeptical is questioning, while cynical is doubting. I think there is a good amount of times that they are separate.

Depends on the topic... and who is making statements...

I have been much too trusting of people in the past, concerning "friendships" and relationships. I want to think that people are better than they really are. I want to think that more people are logical, when the truth is that most are not. I want to hope that more people will choose freedom over fascism, but I'm continuously disappointed. I desperately want people to choose empathy and concern for each other, the planet, other forms of life, but then the reality sets in, that we are only a few. My hope is that throughout history, it has only been a few that have made a difference.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:169664
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.