Agnostic.com

52 23

Ridiculous Rumors

What’s (if any) the most ridiculous rumor you’ve heard about yourself?

An old friend called me one day asking if I was still sober because she had heard I was drinking and using LSD. Lol..
I had about 26 years sober at the time, I laughed it off.
Figured that since I stopped going to AA 6 years prior, they needed to come up with some sort of drama to attach to my name.
The fact that I was happy, successful, sober and not in the program may have threatened their foundation, I don’t know.

AMGT 8 Sep 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At my apartment, I learned from my neighbor that others liked talking behind my back that I did drugs.

Little do they know, I don’t even smoke weed- it disgusts me.

People are so disgusting to judge a book by its cover. Just because I have tattoos, I’ve always been judged like this 🙂 being an atheist adds on top of all of it.

At work I learned that a couple of people said I stunk. I had a strong odor of creamed corn, they said. OMG! How could they possibly stand that, I thought. Creamed corn cooking. At first I thought they were putting me on but I found out it was something I was taking. I still think people ought to mind their own business.

I got a phone call from someone who said he was calling about the settlement of the ( my name) estate. ????? I didn't know I had apparently died.....and left an estate! hahahahaha

I was once labelled a Lesbian when I kissed my best friend (peck on the cheek).And I have always been labelled Y'know ye do know! that strange woman!

HAHA, yea, rumors for me usually go with the beard, that I am/have:
• a communist
• converted to Judaism
• converted to Islam
• angry (i kind of like this one, ppl tend to take me more seriously when I speak now)

No real rumors that I know about. Just stupid little stuff like taking what I said out of context or tone. Or just blaming me for things I'm fairly certain I didn't do and would be out of character for me. Mostly I play it so close to the vest that no one knows enough about me to really have any good rumors.

Too bad AA has so much religious/spiritual influence

Did you know it's illegal for a judge to sentence someone to AA? It's a religious organization, so he can't.

The rumour mill started early for me. When I was 5 I was hanging around with my younger brother who was 3. We were yapping about kid stuff while leaning on the door to our parents' bedroom (no idea why). Suddenly he ran like an idiot, tripped, and bashed his head on the corner of my parents' bed's footboard. Blood was everywhere. He needed stitches above his eyebrow (he still has a scar there). No one saw what happened except the two of us, so since then the story that has gone around to all my relatives and family friends is that I pushed my brother because I was jealous of him (my older brother is first born son, my younger brother is the baby, and I'm the nothing middle female child). To this day, everyone believes I did it no matter how much I deny it. And my younger brother was too young to even remember what happened.

My sympathies, to be unjustly accused and unable to prove you are blameless is tough.

@Marionville I’m used to it. I seem to be held responsible for everything even if I’m not even there or didn’t know it happened. My younger brother had a messy room when he lived at home with my parents and my mom would call me, who lived in the next province, telling me that that is my fault because I should tell my brother to clean his room. That’s the kind of family logic I’ve had to deal with. In a lot of Asian families, boys can do no wrong.

@graceylou Saw a video of a kid , who , when asked if he'd had an accident in his pants , promptly said his little brother did it .

I just laugh and say it might be true.

Or not.

Let them guess. The people who know me know what is true and what is not.

All the time because I am atheist I can not be a good person and end up in hell when dead. Get asked were do I get my moral compass. I said not out of a book of fiction thats for sure.

Can't think of any. My biological family was one with many secrets.

I found out I had died.

That must have been interesting .

Nope, I am sure it's always spot on..... My middle name is shenanigans ??

Not about me, but my family found out recently that my stepsister told her children when they were young that my mother was a heroin addicted prostitute when she met her father, and he straightened out her life - it was her way of trying to get them to side with her against my mother and to understand her own shitty life choices. Having been there at the time they met, I recently assured my niece (now 30) that no, my mother was not a prostitute, she was a bank teller raising two kids on her own and she was home with us every night! None of us speak to my stepsister anymore, and we all think it’s a hilarious example of how crazy she is - except my mother I guess, she doesn’t find the humor in the story at all LOL... I still wonder if that’s just a lie she told her children, or a rumor she spread around her own mother’s family, too!

That I was involved in a lesbian four-way with my college roommates. Because, you know, when two of your roommates are bi and hookup and all four of you get along and hang out, you're obviously all gay and banging each other.

Always amazing the inbred perfidy they imagine for even sympathizers of gay or bi folks or even garden-variety "fornicators". My late / prior wife was president of a non-profit organization for years and when she retired a gay member ran for the office and she backed them. This prompted another member to disassociate himself from us. This was the guy who, with his wife, provided music at our wedding and gifted us with a hand-crafted bookcase as well. I half expected him to show up with a U-Haul and demand the thing back. He was willing to chuck a lifetime of friendship over that issue. It was as if my wife had grown a second head and I'm put in mind of the venomous label "gender traitor" that was used against gays and gay sympathizers in The Handmaid's Tale. I can tell you that asshat got a few choice words from me about the way he treated my wife and for that matter myself and the candidate for office.

Oh ... the lesbian won and went on to do a great job.

@mordant "inbred perfidy": my new favorite bon mot!

When we were in Kansas the school had a voice mail system that parents could leave messages for other parents and the school. So one of the moms of classmate was leaving a message for another mom, and I was the subject. I have no idea how she left it in my VM box without being deliberate about it. She was scathing and cruel. It wasn't a rumor, it was downright gossip and meaner than snake spit. I had to deal with this woman for Girl Scout Activities. I was dealing with depression, she called me stupid and depressed, and then it got worse. If she talked about me that way who knew what else she said about me. I ran into her a few years later after we moved to Omaha and I was back in Kansas for a visit, we were in the same hotel in the elevator. I caught her eye, looked her up and down, and never said a word, never changed my expression. Longest damn elevator ride ever, however from my ex I know that "'the look" shakes people to the bone. I hope she's happy in her sad little world.

You got the last laugh. Enjoy your day.

The rumors were true but I’m not telling because you’ll think I’m bragging and I like to present myself a modicum of decorum. I will say it was the 80’s, drugs were a thing and I should have locked the door.

one that said i was dead

I'm an incredibly boring person and no one ever generates rumors about me. It would require too much imagination. "Did you hear? Mordant is writing software again! Just can't stop! I hear he's getting fed work on the sly by an accountant in Schenectady ... hey ... wake up, I'm talking to you!"

My roommate is the same way. 17 years ago he stopped going to AA meetings because of all the "higher power" bullshit, flushed all the cocaine and heroine down the toilet and hasn't touched the stuff since.

My roommate is the same way. 17 years ago he stopped going to AA meetings because of all the "higher power" bullshit, flushed all the cocaine and heroine down the toilet and hasn't touched the stuff since.

Yep heard the higher power stuff they grab you and keep a hold of you. Not everyone can beat the addiction so need support from humans not imaginary beings

I always think rumors about one's self are a kind of flattery...that people actually notice and talk about you...

It's true the angry sad people don't like the happy people. So they make stuff up about them. It's better if you do it yourself.

The only rumors that I recall hearing about myself were in China schools(like small villages)...they were all true ;D

Widows are apparently free game where I work. I actually had to fear for my job, the rumors of sexual indiscretions got so bad. Mostly, guys I rejected and insecure wives were spreading them. As recently as this year, I had an angry wife complaining about my going after her husband. It's all 100% false. I dated ONE guy in the last twelve years. I decided to focus on raising my kids after he threatened them. Sigh.

Zster Level 8 Sep 3, 2018

It was always "she's a lesbian if she won't have sex with me. " It would be better to have sex with anything than you Poindexter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:170354
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.