Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

it probably should not be for fat ppl. if i were religious i would say fat naked ppl exposing their vast expanses are an abomination under god's eyes.
i spent 3 1/2 yrs in europe & can remember some of these gross individuals on the french riviera ( st tropez) that looked like beached whales. these were just public beaches but it was not against the law then to be nude.

What is or isn't attractive is learned and has changed over time. In the middle ages plumpness was considered ideal. In Samoa, to this day, fat is considered to be attractive. ideals of beauty are cultural and learned. They can be unlearned too, where peopel just accept each other for who they are instead of an unrealistic ideal driven by advertising.

To me not feeling ashamed of one's own body is an ideal worth fighting for. It goes a logn way towards good self esteem to accept oneself as is.

@snytiger6 , ppl accepting their bodies the way they are is destroying your health care system.
the # of obese, & morbidly obese ppl in the US is astonishing. a high % of ppl with C19 are obese & die. they end up on ventilators & the hospitals charge obsene amounts of money to keep them alive but many don't make it.

@callmedubious Ironically, it is often the lack of self acceptance that leads people to eat to the point of obesity. Because they don't accept themselves, they eat to get some emotional satisfaction.

If you look at a country like Germany, were nudity is a lto mroe accepted, peopel there dont' over eat so mcuh.

Also, a good part of obasity in America is the lack of nutrition in the goods they eat. When a food is poor in nutrients but high in calories, a person eats more of it because the body doesn't stop being constantly hungry until its nutritional needs are met, and you can't get nutrition form junk food.

@snytiger6 , i was stationed in germany for 3/12 yrs & while there were many hefty deutchers at that time (early 1980s) i didn't really notice many that would be considered obese.
i think a lot of that has to do with the German's love of the outdoors. they have trails everywhere & love to get out & "wander" as they refer to it.
you're right about the poor nutrition.

Yes public nudity should be 100% legalized. If you agree it would be greatly appreciated if you sign this petition.

[change.org]

Absolutely. We've let religions make us ashamed of ourselves, see our bodies as 'obscene' for much too long. Freedom from the requirement of clothing would be a good step in reversing this ridiculous trend.

Although the thought of seeing topless and nude women walking the streets is a nice one it wouldn't fly here because there will always be that one who messes things up for everyone else.

I've seen video of topless women walking around New York (being topless is legal there), and although the videos seem to indicate that mos tpeople just ignore it, I am sure there is always those few people who do mess it up often enough to keep others from feeling safe and comfortable doing it themselves.

I know in Portland (OR), where I have been on several naked bike rides, the peopel generally just shrug and go on with their lives.

Nope! Purely on a hygiene basis. The pelvic area, including genitals and anus should be covered. I do not want to, and would not, sit on public transport or public area seating that I knew had just been vacated by a nude person. Did they clean themselves after their last piss/shit? Do they have a communicable disease?

I have no objection to nude bodies, and certainly Ihave spent many, many hours on beaches largely populated by nude or semi nude people. No problem. But there is a line, and sharing areas of communal physical contact, even in absentia, is over my line.

Hygenic concerns seems to be pretty universal. However puttign that aside, I think peopel shoudl have the choice of whether or not to wear clothing, rather than have clothing be required by law (for other than hygienic reasons).

You're hygiene argument is ridiculous. People wipe their ass, hold their penis after urinating - all with their hands. Yet we shake hands with people without being disgusted, we open door that people have touched, we handle money that has been circulating in the community daily. Hell, I bet most of use have even participated in a work or social pot luck, with no concern about the cleanliness of the person's home that brought the food. Hygiene issues are more mental than actually founded.

[slate.com]
[besafemeds.com]

@jondspen There’s a difference between what you don’t know, and what you do know. If I did know that someone hadn’t washed their hands, or other necessary bits, after going to the loo, I wouldn’t touch them. If I knew someone’s kitchen was a cess pit, I wouldn’t eat or drink anything they’d touched, let alone cooked.

We do worry overmuch about hygiene, but there are limits. If you’d be happy to sit where someone else’s shitty arse had been, good luck to you. But I’m wouldn’t be. And I’m allowed.

@KevinTwining Again, most people I know use toilette paper, and don't have an inch of shit smeared across their ass, so your argument isn't really based on reality. Plus, even when I sit in a chair to get dressed, my A hole isn't all up on the cushion. Maybe people with extreme flat asses have this problem, but most people I know have their anus in a crack that doesn't directly touch the chair. And the only difference between knowing there is microscopic shit on a bathroom doorknob and not knowing when you touch it - is that you don't know. Same microbs still get on your hand. But thank you for replying without any data or references, just your opinion. That make so much better an argument than my two links.

@jondspen Give it up mate. You’re becoming tiresome.

@jondspen in the "today" of diseases that cannot be cured, spread by bodily fluids, you are an IDIOT!!!!!

Should be 100% legal just like MJ or alcohol... It's your choice.

Of course.

zesty Level 7 Feb 27, 2019

Considering how contagious some STDs are, I'm going to say that everyone should have at least one layer of protection between their genitals and things I might touch.

[slate.com]
[besafemeds.com]

Unfounded fear

@jondspen yeah, okay,I took care of my brother in law as he died of AIDS, 6'3" , 83lbs at the end. You can bet your ass after cleaning up fountains of bodily fluids as he wasted away over 6 months, I got tested! Clothing is a sanitary barrier, just look at how operating room personnel are dressed, for the protection of Everyone in there.

I think that if men are allowed to go shirtless, women should too. The prohibition against female nipples is just absurd. That said, most of us are probably better off keeping our shirts on.

The covering of genitals for both sexes seems sensible though, more to limit the the behavior of men, for whom a display full nudity could be an act of aggression and harassment or even abuse.

I do believe it should be legal but i am also honest enough to say that i would be afraid of embarrassing myself due to arousal. I would feel that i was being discourteous, even though it was an involuntary action lol. The hope would be i suppose that familiarity would breed contempt. But in the initial stages it would be hard (cheap pun i couldn't resist ?).

For persons who have nto experienced social nudity, but have only been naked either for sex or bathing, a first time social nudity experience may cause a man to inadvertantly get hard, because the body has been conditioned to think "naked equals sex". I myself spent the first few minutes at a nude beach laying on my stomach until the problem went away. Then I got used to being naked, and never had such an issue again.

So yeah, it hapens. Generally nudist etiquette says that you just ignore it and do nothign to draw attention to it and let it go away on its own.

personally I prefer nudist clubs to nude beachees. Much different atmosphere.

You can always take care of yourself beforehand.

It might happen at first, but like most things, you become numb to it. After a while it's just another set of tits. Honestly, you can see almost everything at most beaches today anyway with some bikinis. Do you keep a raging boner at the beach all day when and if you go?

The question was should it be legal not should it be compulsory lol ???

Well, yes. Being able to choose is the whole point.

This is how the law near my hometown in Colorado looks at going topless anyway. "Female toplessness is allowed in the cities of Denver, Fort Collins and Boulder, since these cities do not make any distinction between female toplessness and male bare chested". Drives the bible thumpers nuts. They keep taking it to court...and the court rulings keep slapping them down. Quite a few legal social nudity places in the US and World: [en.wikipedia.org]

Nice to know that Colorado is pregressive i some places. I knew Boulder ws progressive, but had the impression that the rest of th state was mired in conservatism.

I do like to hear about the bible thumpers being beaten back, and human rights trumping religious dogmas.

I love to go skinny-dipping. My body moving through the water feels wonderful but not sexual in any way. When it comes to dry land my feet need protection and arch supports. I can't imagine riding a bicycle naked. Surely naked bike riders have a special seat because the bicycle seats I've seen would be dangerous. In other words, I like the protection of clothing When I visit most places.

I've done the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride a few times, which attracts over 10,000 riders each year. Some peopel may use soem kind of set cover, but I've never seen a special seat used.

Hell, no. Since age 15 when I developed breasts, I have been catcalled, grabbed, molested, nearly raped, forcibly kissed, sexually assaulted, stalked, raped in 2008, and sexually harassed by men. Nudity would make it much worse.

I want the protection of clothing.

In Hawaii, my date took me to a nude beach without telling me in advance. I wore a bikini. Three-quarters of the people were men trolling for naked women. Ugh.

Disagree, peoples ass and genitals should be covered in public places.

I think the human body is beautiful and we shouldn’t hide it. Hiding something creates a “taboo” about that thing, in this case the human body, such that it can cause shame. I’m for ppl going nude...I just won’t do it because I’m full of that body shame. Lol

Yes. As long as it hurts no one, people should legally be allowed to do whatever they want. If you prefer to wear clothes, fine. If you think you look better or feel better with or without, go for it. The nudity taboo and laws, like many things in this country, are expressions of the deeply-rooted patriarchical authoritarian church. It's so deeply rooted that many of us can't distinguish what we really feel from what has been beaten into us by the oppressors.

ErikK Level 6 Jan 17, 2019

Yup!

It would be the end of Burningman lol

Legal, yes. Practiced, yes but with discretion.

In Oregon many years ago, an Oregon State Supreme Court ruling ruled that nudity was a right under the state's constitution. People won't get arrested for indecent exposure, but can get arrested for creating a public disturbance. However, if being nude is a part of a protest, such as the Portland World Naked Bike Ride (which attracts over 10,000 participants each year), then it takes more than just nudity to be arrested.

Anyway, my point is that although it is technically legal to be nude, peopel use discretion about using that freedom.

It's distracting especially if you're driving. On the other hand it would get people off their phones. I think people forget that acceptance of public nudity is democratic so in addition to shapely females and buff males you also have to be willing to put up with grandma and grandpa and all kinds of two tons of fun.

Only in certain areas (nudist resorts, nudist beaches, etc.) It should not be allowed everywhere. Clothing protects us from the elements.

If public nhudity were legal, and seeign nude persons were nto so uncommon, then it wodl no longer be distracting for drivers.

It is true that not everyone woudl be fitowever, I think it is more of a question of beign free to choose whether or nto to wear clothing, and not for the entertainment of other people when one chooses not to.

To say you can't do that because of MY discomfort, means you want to limit the freedoms of others based on your own hang ups. I am nto tryign to make any acusions here, but just trying to turn things a bit so you might see things from a different perspective.

We are taught to feel guilt fear and shame associated with nudity, and most of that teaching originally was based in religious dogma. Few peopel have actually questioned if there is any actual reasoning behind the cultural norm of always being clothed in public at all times. As everyone knows what everyoen else has under their clothes, why do we go to such great lengths to hideit from each other?

I agree with you. Not only do clothes protect the wearer from the elements, clothing on others can protect us from them. What if they didnt wipe well and sit in public. So the next person sits in feces. Or you have a bladder leak? And clothing also helps conceal smells. Keep your clothes on??

Not everywhere. But every region/country should give options for nudists/naturalists as well as a human right. So people could decide if they want to go to pure nudist or mixed outdoor places. Who don‘t want to see nakedness could stay away from these places. Live and let live.

Yucel Level 3 Dec 10, 2018

Good post and good question.

I, too, am a nudist (naturalist), but seldom am I naked. I live with roommates who would not be comfortable with me walking around without clothes on. My last roommate didn't care as much and had seen me naked (at a nude establishment twice) previously to us deciding to be roommates. So he's seen my stuff and I've seen his. Who cares? He did care sometimes and sometimes he didn't. I've never lived with a fellow naturalist.
So I keep my clothes on. Keeps people comfortable.

Public nudity, I believe, is a very healthy thing. The statistics you shared have been backed up multiple times by numerous studies. But are Americans ready to accept public nudity? Without question, the answer is a definitive no. Not even close to being ready. And I blame religion and insecurities inflicted by society (fueled partially advertising) for this.

The Bible teaches people to be shameful of their bodies. The "flesh" is a temptation that leads to evil. And to many, whether religious or not, a naked body is a sexual object. Not a healthy viewpoint, but it is a popular one.

I think many are afraid of the fine lines that might be crossed if public nudity became legal. If I may speak for men specifically for a moment. Let's suppose public nudity is written into law. If a man adjusts himself, is it a crime? If a man gets an accidental hard on in public, is he breaking the law? Is it harmful for children to see naked adults? Only if they are taught it is wrong. And they are taught that it is wrong. In a society that requires everyone to be clothed in public, it is the naked man who is a potential threat. That belief wouldn't go away in a generation if laws did change.

And what about one's own insecurities? People can't seem to get passed the fact that some people are slimmer than others, endowments vary from person to person, and everyone isn't beautiful under those layers of clothing. As naturalists, we know that isn't the point. Changing laws would actually, as you stated, would lessen insecurities. But not for this generation, I suspect. Positive self-esteem results wouldn't be seen until the first generation children born into a society where nothing is optional became adults. Americans are far from being that patient for results for anything. That, and for religious reasons, is why public nudity will never become permissible by law. But should it be law? Yes, I believe so. But, with current widely held beliefs, the belief that public nudity could create dangerous situations could result in self- fulfilling prophecy. Too many in our society believe nudity is a sexual thing. Since this brief is so widely accepted, it means it is also accepted by those who would cause harm. Unethical Exhibitionists and predators would halt any chance for public nudity to continue as permissible by law, even if it initially passed in the first place.

Numerous initial horror stories would force the law to be repealed. There just isn't enough time for public opinion and deep-seated beliefs to change. A law allowing public nudity would most likely produce the biggest outcry in American history. The unhealthy beliefs of the past thousands of years is deeply rooted in the minds of too many for there to even be a chance such a proposed bill would make it off the desk of a politician thinking of suggesting it to fellow Congress or Senate members. Such a rebel would undoubtedly be voted out of office when the time came or soon be removed from office.

So we, as a society, are stuck with our unhealthy body images and the Biblical teaching that man (people) should be ashamed of their nakedness. These perceptions aren't going away any time soon. And the very real fear of abuse is too prevalent for many to differentiate between potential danger and freedom of being without clothes.

Maybe it would work in some of the more atheistic countries in the world. Maybe. But, in the United States? It will never happen. Which is unfortunate. The results would show an increase in improved body image and be a freer way to live for many. But the positive results would be many years coming. And Americans and the citizens of other repressive countries with religious belief are way too impatient to wait around for over a generation to see a change in public opinion. If a change doesn't show immediate positive results, it will never happen.

Good post

Jeff ?

You make a lot of good points. As a person who studied Xociology in college, I know that if you try to change to omuch too quickly in any society it causes more problems than it solves Societies have to change gradually over time.

I have talked about ridign in the Portland ((OR) World Naked Bike Ride many times. The ride attracts over 10,000 participants every year. I've never heard of any misconeduct among participants,and I have lived in the area for 8 years now. If there is misconduct, it is from those who aren't riding, but just watching. Because of this the route of the ride is different each year and ketp secret, so only the organizers and local police know the route until the actual ride begins.

I am aware that at the local nudist clubs, which are clothing optional, that in the "wet areas", meaning pool jacuzzi, steam rooms and saunas, nudity 9si required. The reasoning beign that when you mix clothed and nude people in those areas, if anyone misbehaves, it is almost always the clothed persons.

It woule seem that those who feel too insucre to be nude themselves, are the ones who strike out at those who are secure with themselves and are comfortable in their own skin. A behavior which religion reinforces.

In any case, there is a Naturist and Nudists group on this site int he groups section. [agnostic.com]

I admit I did have hope society was changing to better accetp public nudity whenh Young Naturists of Amerca was formed, but the people runnign the organization burne dout as many who run nonprofits do, and the organization sadly folded. However that it did so well while it was going does sugest a change in attitudes of younger generations.

We are all nude under our clothes, so once the sexualisation is removed, where is the real harm?
Sticky bum prints on plastic seats? Slightly damp farts? Personal cleanliness and dribbly bits? Unexpected arousal? Knocking things over with bits of body? Unwanted contact? Shedding of hairs? Freezer/chilled compartments (ladies).... Sorry I keep finding problems

I enjoy being nude, and do so as often as is practical, but I don't do it outside. Scotlands climate seldom allows conditions conducive for the activity. Midges would just kill you too.

At nudist clubs those dont' seem to be problems, as nudists are generally bery courteous and considerate of each other.

In society at large it could be a problem as not everyone would be considerate enough huygeniocally for there not to be some laws, such as carrying placing a towel on a seat tht is for general public use. before sitting if one is nude and wish to make use of public seating. For every problem there are multiple solutions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.