Agnostic.com

55 7

What's worse?

What is worse Physical abuse, emotional abuse, or verbal abuse?

• 29 votes
  • 73 votes
  • 1 vote
Ravenwolfcasey 7 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You don't have an all are equally bad option. I choose that.

Why did you leave out mental abuse?

@sweetcharlotte so many ways to be hurt.?

@sweetcharlotte I did not put that in here because obviously that's the worse form of abuse..

I feel mental and emotional abuse are the same

@Ravenwolfcasey
I think mental and emotional abuse are two different things. I was physically, mentally, and emotional abused as a child by my stepdad.

Physical abuse is the worse, it is what all forms of abuse lead up to if not checked. Emotional abuse and verbal abuse are just preliminary.

That makes sense. When the verbal and emotional abuse fail to properly cow and control you, physical abuse is their only recourse. And you've already been conditioned to accept it. That's why I'm in therapy. I don't know if my reactions to stuff is normal, I prefer to have permission to be upset about behavior I receive. I don't want to just be crazy. My therapist assures me I'm doing well, so I can disregard when my son tells me everything is my fault.

I have to agree with the others, but to destroy one internally is damage that cannot be seen by others who may be able to help.

I voted for physical abuse.

Emotional abuse can certainly have long-term negative effects, sometimes worse than physical abuse, but it depends on the individual. Verbal abuse can be emotional abuse, also depending on the individual.

I chose physical abuse with the thought that what is worse may depend on our age, and since most of us are adults longer than we are children, as adults physical abuse is the worst. It is a violation of our political rights. As adults we have many more choices to avoid emotional abuse and what is considered abuse depends more on the receiver than the giver. Receiving verbal abuse as adults can cross the line into physical abuse, and also a violation of our rights, if our "space" is invaded or becomes threats.

I guess it depends on a case by case basis. Some people can take one or the other or both and kind of be more immune to it then others.

They r all terrible

All of the above.

Abuse is abuse. What doesn't matter is the method of delivery. Trauma will always be the result.

This is subjective. The worst is the kind you are receiving.

It doesn't matter what kind of abuse it is, whether it be physical, mental, or verbal, they all do significant damage. It's like asking which form of energy is better, coal, nuclear, or natural gas. It doesn't matter because in the end all you are doing is heating water to steam to spin a turbine. Abuse is abuse no matter the form.

This ^^

@RavenCT Thank you.

Emotional abuse. Mainly because it is the emotional abuse component that leads to victims of physical abuse to stay with their abuser. Without the emotional abuse more women and men would get the hell out upon the first occurrence of violence. By the time physical abuse happens self-worth is almost non-existent.

Yes.

All are inexcusable and wrong. They are all damaging. They say more about the abuser.

None of the 3 are cool. But physical abuse... let's say ER visits aren't cheap.

They are ALL wrong. I'm not picking one over the others.

I strongly dislike psychological abuse. I suspect my son is gaslighting me. I don't like like it.

Each recipient is going to act and react differently. Physical might be easy for someone and impossible for someone else, etc. It depends on who the recipient is, and the abuse that is given.

Every single one can screw a person up - be they adult or child. And most happen in some combination.

I've never been told any tale of abuse and thought "that's the one to have." .

No vote here.

On the other hand, it seems to me that both physical and verbal abuse lead to emotional abuse. And probably the abuser either conciously or subconciously intends their physical or verbal abuse to cause emotional harm. I can't say that I was ever physically abused (that I remember), but did suffer verbal abuse from my alcoholic father, and I'm sure his intention was to hurt me emotionally. Although I've always referred to this as psychological abuse, it amounts to the same thing.

@bingst Absolutely. You never have to lay a hand on someone to cause them unending harm. I saw way too much of this. (working with clients).

And in my book - it being done to a kid who usually has no decision making power over leaving? That is the worst.

At least an adult has some decision over staying or going.
Even when they believe they don't.

No abuse ...is acceptable ...in any shape or form .Categorizing forms of, is at best ...stupid ; and I feel that making it such is at best dehumanizing .Sorry having been subject to all forms , I feel quite strongly about this one .

They are all equally horrific.

I would contend that verbal abuse is a form of emotional abuse, so we're really left with two options, right?

Which one is worse? Emotional abuse can leave scars that last a lifetime, ruin your ability to have healthy relationships, destroy a person's self- image, and could lead to self-harm or even suicide. It's a shitty thing. You've got to pull yourself out of it as best you can, and with time and perspective the lessons learned from the pain will make you a better, stronger person, if you can make it through to the other side. What do they say, "if you're going through Hell... keep going..."?

On the other hand, someone could bash you in the head with something and kill you.

I vote physical abuse.

...I never carried the idea of physical abuse to a final conclusion as you did here! It occurred to me murder was the very worst abuse in it’s own right! Interesting!

Physical abuse, because it's almost always accompanied by the other two forms of abuse as well.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 1, 2018

Why must we rank them. Abuse is never good.

All are abhorrent, but emotional abuse is the worst. Physical and verbal abuse are just different forms of emotional abuse.

case by case; no way to generalize. physical abuse can culminate in murder, making the other two kinds moot. emotional abuse can culminate in suicide, making the other two kinds moot. verbal abuse IS emotional abuse.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:191167
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.