Agnostic.com

56 6

Did popularity ever matter to you throughout High School Years?

I guess I was just a weird teen lol cause I just never really cared. Even now as an adult, I still don’t really care.

EmeraldJewel 7 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was not despised, but I was not popular. Most kids in my class didn't really know me. Due to family crap, HS was endured.

Fuck no

Para Level 3 Oct 29, 2018

I never cared about being popular, but I was weirdly popular. I was well known by my class, teachers and younger/older students.
Apparently I developed a reputation of being weird, kind and that kid who literally rides his bicycle to school every day.
I think my “polularity” began when I started standing up to bullys at school my freshman year. Having been bullied in middle school, over time I lost patience with people abusing others, so I would confont them.
Over the years a developed a large group of “outcast” friends. Anybody was welcome to our table, they just had to accept the weirdos sitting there.

A “small” group of my friends during my senior year. They range from freshmen to a guy who was two classes ahead of me. Three years later and I’m still in contact with most of them.
Damn, that means the freshman is a senior now.

Nah. I had my friends to laugh and goof off with and that was more than good enough for me.

No, i was too stoned to care.

Didn't seek it but for a while I got some attention for being a decent soccer goalie and saving my school some ass. It felt nice. Grew up in Europe so soccer was a great deal.

I don't remember. I was stoned.

I was outcast by the outcasts. There were only two other students who even tried to be civil to me, let alone friendly. I was just that withdrawn and awkward and unattractive.

I didn’t care then. 20 years later, I still don’t. I prefer to have my small group of close friends rather than having to be fake to impress the masses. Not that I’m unfriendly or antisocial, I just don’t play to the crowd.

Yes, through h.s. and into 20's, a seeker of peer approval. Into mid-late 30's, finally became comfortable with who I am. Thenceforth, have never much cared about popular opinions of self.

Not at all. We didn’t have a “high school” but we had “secondary school” grades 8-12. For all those years I attended mostly honours classes so the students in my classes were always the same kids. We all knew each other. We were all math, science, and literature geeks. Competition for top scores was more important than popularity.

My school was the school other schools bow to in my city. In PR you do 3 years of High School after 3 years of Jr High... I attended 3 different schools in those 3 years. I was... I was a supplier so... I was a connection. I hang out in my school while attending a different school so I was who I was... I did a lot of transfering. As a transfer, again... I had the largest afro in the school as a senior... Period! That was important to me... Ignorant, stupid, silly me. I broke the school uniform code every day. I reckon I made that secret list of those that will graduate despite their bad deeds. And I had good grades. I had my spot under the tree... I had friends in all circles and cliches... I am sure I had a Hate cliche... I didn't cared... But I realized once it was Over... it was Over. I can't say I didn't cared... but I had it while I had it during my Senior year. You don't buy it, you are not born into it... you grow into it if you had it... not important... Not Needed. Bound to be Over... That's the key. To learn to move on.

Never thought about it too much. I wasn’t popular but not a geek either. I was athletic and was also in advanced studies so I was somewhere in the middle and had friends in both groups.

Nope.

I didn't care then, and still don't. If anything, people tended to be afraid of me because it was rumored I worshipped Satan. 😛

Not really, I sat with other outcasts and geeks throughout my high-school years, people would come to me for their problems in math or science lol. I wasn't invited to parties so I really didn't care anyway.

I had my little circle of friends, and that's all I needed.

Me too.

I was never in danger of being among the most popular, but did not want to be among the most disliked.

General popularity wasn't as important as acceptance by someone, and of course insofar as popularity equaled exposure and opportunity with girls.

Hell yes, it mattered because my ego wasn't healthy. Back then I cared a lot more than is healthy. I hid who I was and did things I didn't want to do. That comes off creepy but I'm talking about hiding the fact that I liked classical music more than rock. I went to concerts I didn't want to go to that sort of thing. Now, who cares. If you don't like me move on.

Never gave a damn then and still don't now. Realized even back then that what mattered was the quality of friendships and having at least enough of them to give me the support and companionship that was lacking in my family. As an adult, it seems like what I really need is about a half dozen good friends offline and local to meet my needs and cope with life's knocks, not hundreds of FB friends or followers.

Can't remember it mattering to me.

Of course. I mean it is an important stage of development and regardless of whether you were or not we all wanted to be at times I would imagine

I didn't care about being popular or "cool." Was actually very counter. But, since Facebook became a thing and I've reconnected with old friends/acquaintances I've learned that I was cool and popular, anyway. Or at least in retrospect.

Nope, because I wasn't, and I was okay with that. As long as Evelyn Robson wasn't trying to beat my ass, or embarrass me in front of others, I was fine with
being anonymous to most. She was definitely one of those "mean girls", and a real bully. I was so glad when high school was over.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:211023
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.