Agnostic.com

45 6

Nudists?

I think that people today are more likely to admit to being atheists than they are to being nudists...which is kinda sad since Nudism (just like Atheism) is so liberating. In most of Europe, people don't give a damn about going nude and just accept it as natural, but here in America it is unfortunately still considered a bit of a taboo. How many of you would admit to being nudists and recommend the Naturalist lifestyle to your friends?

• 27 votes
  • 15 votes
  • 21 votes
mjcharles 5 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are ALL born completely NAKED and then social 'norms' are imposed upon us BEFORE we are even aware of them and, voila, we are draped in clothing.
The Human body didn't EVOLVE simply to be walking advertisements for Tailors, Dressmakers, Cloth Manufacturers and the like, it evolved to be naked so that it could cool itself faster and more efficiently unhampered by excessive coverings such as hair ( fur) or clothing.
Did our earliest ancestors become sexually aroused every time they saw a naked pair of breasts 'bouncing' freely around them? No, I don't think so, they were most likely more concerned with watching out for predators or searching for their next meal, beliefs such as religions have imposed upon humans the ideology that being naked is a 'SIN' and , in reality, what is SIN, Sin is nothing more than an Imaginary Crime invented by Religions to stop people from actually being what they evolved to be.

I can't even give the dog a bath in short shorts and a bikini top without setting the neighborhood aflutter. I don't want to imagine what it would be like for me if I went about nude.

I wish things were different. I like sun and wind on my skin.

Well... you can always bring your dog to a nudist community to give him a bath 😉

LOL @Stevil

id imagine any photos the neighbour took of you naked would be very blurry lol @stinkeye_a

@Stevil My cats were both Atheists and Nudists. kuassssssssss

@Stevil, you can't live in australia - too many flies 😀

I have never tried it, and I doubt that I ever would... too different for me I guess. I am fine with other people enjoying it though 🙂

I have been to nudist camps and enjoyed the experience. I have no issues with my body as it is who I am on the surface.

Not a nudist, but enjoy being naked. Unfortunately, don't have much opportunity to do that as much as I'd like.
Not sure I'd be comfortable enough to do it among others, even in the confines of a nudist resort, or colony, or whatever.

@Stevil, my observations are exactly the opposite: people drop their false shame in the company of other naked people, relax & start to behave more natural.

L 🙂 L @Stevil, i almost suspected as much (but lacked the evidence).

Only when I'm alone, no one wants to see that. Lol

That's me. Shower only.

Many people feel that other people would not want to see them but when they get to the nudist areas they find that very few people have great bodies.

@GIJoeRetired I've been to biker bashes.I know all to well most nudes look like. Most were in their 60s and 70s lol

I spend a lot of time at a nudist resort called Paradise Valley...Enlightened place.

Nice 🙂

A Georgia peach... for sure! 😉

Paradise Valley is one of the few nudist places I've been to. I enjoyed my time there but I'm unhappy with them because they are like almost every clothing optional places, they charge single males much more for admission and/or membership. Sometimes I wonder if I could successfully sue them for discrimination. There is no place close to me so I spend most of my time nude in my house or back yard. My friends and family always call me before coming over because they know I may be nude.

@GIJoeRetired The " higher fee" is based in two reasons (so I was told) 1) To discourage pedophiles and 2) to attract more ladies....since the ratio is 4 to 1 (more men)

@DUCHESSA I've heard this before but I still don't agree with it. Many pedophiles have much more money than I do. Charging men more will not attract more ladies it will just keep respectable men like myself away. I live off retirement income so I can't afford the higher prices and wouldn't pay them anyway just in spite of the fact that I'm being charged more. I still say if this discrimination were against other groups such as race it would be a bigger issue.

@GIJoeRetired The truth is you will always have more men than women in all nudist resorts....I guess is an attempt to level the ratio.

@GIJoeRetired And quite frankly, as a single female, it is overwhelming to be surrounded by quadruple the amount of single men who feel just fine grabbing at me. It's not discriminatory. It's already a sausage party.

@bmchizzle I sorry to hear that you are treated like that. Those kind of people should be kicked out. But charging me extra ain't keeping them undesirables out. If the roles were reversed you probably wouldn't like it. Are white people charged more than blacks because of the number difference?

@GIJoeRetired apples to oranges, sir.

@bmchizzle While I respect your views I don't think we will change each other's opinions. So I recon it's time to agree to disagree and move on. I look forward to more communication with you and hopefully we will share the same view sometimes. Good luck on what you hope to find here.

I have no quarrel with nudists, but I'm way too repressed to partake in such activities myself.

i admire your self-assessment, honestly.

I'm very overweight so I'm uncomfortable being naked in front of strangers. However, if my son isn't here I usually naked around the house (he's uncomfortable seeing his mother naked which I can understand).

My home is fairly private in summer, mostly thanks to vegetation, so I'll lounge around out on the deck in the buff if it's warm enough. I love it, although I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with others (i.e. beach or colony). That said, clothes are useful and practical for sweat absorption and hygiene, so I wear them as needed. (That's why nudists carry around a towel to sit on - it's protocol.)

And - remember that North America was settled by puritans, so our history has something to do with why nudity is more taboo here than Europe.

Not necessarily a big fan... There are some things that cannot be unseen, which is why I make sure to wear extra clothes. 😉

I enjoy being naked, but don't like looking at other people who are naked... Obviously with one significant exception of course.

yes! i'm certainly into nudism - but it's easy for me to be & admit that, coming from north europe & all that. harder though to deal with the australian prudery.

I have high fences, so it is a bit like when I had a large property, no-one can see in.
We have a lot of get togethers here, which usually end with people swimming, mostly nude or in their underwear or they will go down to the beach at night for a quick skinny dip.
Nothing at all sexual in it, 2 of them are my kids and I am the only one over 35. The only thing that comes to mind is that many of these people went to school together, I bet they never imagined 20 years ago they would be so uninhibited around each other. We have a couple of nude beaches in the area, but from what I see in the press lately it is not as wholesome as it once was.

I have a high fence around my back yard. When my family say what if someone can see me I tell them that someone would have to trespass on my land and put their face next to the fence to see me. I don't hide myself behind the fence for my benefit because I'm not ashamed of nudity, I do it because someone might call the law. Like I said if they see me they are trying to.

I wish I didn't see a need to keep my front blinds closed. And it would also be nice to have a place to go to nearby.

I don’t like how I look nude myself,so I sure as hell wouldn’t want strangers looking at me

Why worry about what others think? If they worry about how you look then they must have very tiny minds and even tinier, insignificant lives. You are who you are, your as life made you, you look as should be not concerned with what Society Dictates you should look like because they are ONLY interested in MARKETTING their ideas to as many people as possible and making as big a profits as they can at YOUR Expense. Be yourself, be Proud to be Yourself It is who your are after all.

Whenever a nudist -man or woman- breaks the rules in a Nudist resort he / she is kicked out of the place and his/her name is added to the AANR computer. I used to be a member of Solair...the oldest Nudist resort on the east coast...I never had a problem there.

I've got a pajama fetish going on right now.

I have been a member of a Nudist Club in California for 26 years. You can say it is my Religion ! In my experience, nudists are generally happier people, less judgmental, friendlier, and very respectful. I do most of my socializing there including Dancing to live Bands, Karaoke, tennis, hiking, and of course sunbathing. It's my safe-place. I am more comfortable around nudists just as I am with ' non-believers ' . 🙂

I just don't think genitals are that pretty under the wrong circumstances like leaning over the meat counter in Tescos. I like to leave something to the imagination too. I'm perfectly unbias about others being naked and not shy or anything. its just my thoughts is all.

lol, @Tiffanee yes there's a time and a place for everything I think. getting an old grey pubic hair in your food can't be too nice really. I'm all for naked in the right place and am happy to prove it, my love, haha x

When I lived in California, I first got to enjoy the nudist experience at the reserved beaches in Big Sur. Since then, for several years I have had a vacation place in a nudist community outside Annapolis and am also a member of a nudist resort in the Pocono Mountains.
To those of you who never have had a nudist experience either on a clothing optional beach or at a nudist resort/community, I would simply say, "It's not that big a deal. It's very liberating. Give it a try." After about the first fifteen minutes, you'll forget that you are naked because everyone else is.
You will also learn a couple of things:
(1) that humans come in all shapes and sizes and should be accepted and appreciated for who they are, and not for what they wear or pretend to be,
and,
(2) After swimming and walking around naked with the sun and warm air caressing your skin, you will never want to wear a bathing suit or other confining clothes again.
And besides that... it's natural.
Wearing clothes on a hot day isn't.
Being hot and sweaty is never good for one's disposition which is why nudists tend to be friendlier people.
My suggestion would be to first give it a try before you decide whether or not you like it. You might be surprised. If you want info on places nearby, just Google "nudist resorts" along with your zip code to find ones near you.

I also get the impression it's a great "equalizer," so to dpeak, in that you've got nowhere to hide.

I've done it. I lived for about 5 months in an old frat house that was changed into a nudist community house. It was 20 years ago and so I can't remeber ever being self concious or finding it odd. I moved out when winter was coming.

As long as I can remember I never liked the feeling of being nude ,not even by myself in the privacy of my own home.

I would admit it if I were but I am not. My father, however, joined a nudist group when he retired. He socialized with them foir several years.

I want nudity to be no big thing, but I don't feel motivated enough about it to put any effort into that.

We in the U.S. remain very much a Puritan nation culturally. People are quicker to declare something perverse and evil than they are natural and liberating. I have even heard of parents being reported for "child abuse" just for being naked around their own children.

Indeed. It's one of the things that makes me insane about US culture. We're quite willing to expose our children to the most horrific violence, but show a bare butt? Rated R.

Oh yeah! Maddening! The whole movie rating thing is insane. A tender, sensitive love scene that doesn't make sure to hide a hard penis? Instant NC-17 rating, sure to kill box office sales.
But Arnold Schwarzenegger can grab an innocent bystander, use him as a bodyshield against a barrage of machine gun fire, killing the innocent person, and THAT draws a PG-13! Utterly sick.

Life long nudist, basicly HATE wet, sandy swim trunks...........YUCK.......

In this long thread about Nudism nobody has commented / asked about the participation of kids in Nudist resorts. Yes, many parents bring thiur babies, toddlers, young kids to the resorts.....specially those resorts that are family oriented.

So where is the problem with that? It IS the choice of the parents/carers after all YET, as I perceive it, you seem intent, though I may be getting the wrong impression, upon imposing your 'norms' upon everyone else just as does religion. And, to put it rather succinctly imo, Religions like to tell us that we are FREE to choose BUT only IF we choose what they decide is correct for us.

@Triphid I suggest, strongly, you re-read my comment....since I never said I wasn't in agreement with kids being in nudist resorts. In fact, I completely agree with them in the Naturist world. I was 3 months old when I was taken to a nudist resort for the first time. So, my friend, indeed you got the wrong impression.
For your info, my friend, I come from an Atheist and Naturist family (four generations). Need any info.?

I'm with Robert A. Heinlein on many things..including nudism.
I grew up in Haiti in the 1950-60s, where kids don't wear pants until puberty, and most rural people typically had one set of clothes, so on wash days, while their clothes were drying on rocks by the river, adults strolled around naked, without even noticing it.

Near our mission, most people wore some sort of clothing, but even a few hundred yards off the main road, where I often rode my horse, on wash days, I'd have to stop and exchange endless greeting rituals with naked adults:

Haitian: What are you doing?
Me: I'm riding my horse (Since I was sitting on my horse at the time, this was obvious, but still the custom to ask)
Haitian: Oooooh! (as though this news was a revelation) How's your mom?
Me: fine
Haitian: Your dad?
Me: Fine.
So it went..Your brothers? Your sisters? Your horse? etc. Then I had to do it with them as well, politely inquiring about their relatives, pigs, chickens, etc..
Naturally, making it past Haitians with any kind of timeliness was tricky.

My ex and I always ran around naked at home and I also let my kids do the same until they got old enough to start jumping into the closet when we walked in on them dressing.
Then, out of solidarity, we started dressing in their presence, reverted to naked when they were absent.

I taught my strict ex how to skinny dip in remote ponds and rivers, and we did that every day during the summer, as did the kids. I consider clothes a means to protect my skin when climbing trees and cliffs, or horseback riding.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22193
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.