Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I miss that good old gospel music sung by those who have talent beyond anything commercially produced out here. That is what I miss. The music.

I miss singing in the choir and greeting people, 8 also had a friend there that I lost contact with after I left. There are things I miss for sure, even being in the holy ghost cause it felt freeing to let it all out.. I'm much freer and happier as an atheist though.

No, just the opposite.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

As a former Mormon, I miss the music. Gee, I wish the church was true-- I'd go back and sing.

I love the amazing art produced under the auspices of the christian church, Michelangelo being my favorite. I especially like Jesus throwing the money-changers out of the temple and the strong sense of forgiveness, acceptance and doing unto others in the new testament. However I didn't have to give these up just because I am not christian any more. These ideals/ideas can exist outside of a religion. Oh, and I get my ritual fix from 12-step meetings and lifting. So there ain't much I miss.

that's like asking a prisoner if he/she misses prison.

Some probably have things about it they miss, like friends they've made lol I guess they get used to being in there. But I see what you're saying lol most of it you don't miss. I don't miss most of the things from being a christian.

Stockholm syndrome

i don't miss anything.

I don't think that's really fair. Lots of people lose friends when they leave a church, or simply miss the fellowship. Not everything about religion is bad.

Don't miss it. Once you free your mind going back to chains on your mind isn't an option. With the knowledge I've gained in fact based research I will never be able to relate to or participate in any dogmatic false belief system.

Some of the ritual aspects. As a former catholic and wiccan, ritual was a big part. Its hard to define all the aspects to it, but I do miss that.

No but I miss the sense of community

I have considered starting an atheist church. A place to commune for positive reasons. I would like to have motorcycle poker runs and other fund raising projects to benefit various local charitable causes on a personal level. Not a write check to an organization thing, more like a build a wheelchair ramp at a disabled, fixed income persons house. Back to school supplies for kids that can't afford any. Meals to elderly etc. Show people that they can do good things without sticking a church label on it. Everything positive that is done in the community can and should be accomplished without the god baggage attached to it.

its not easy to be atheist in my counrty . sometimes i wish i was as stupid as religious ppl and that my life would be easier but then i look at my way of thinking and just smile bkz i know i will always choose being like this

Hang in there and hopefully find a way out. America is not perfect but we still have freedom of religion and from religion. I think of you sometimes. I hate that you are being held back from reaching your potential f peace of mind and all the opportunities available to women that are not there yet.

@CaseyGoodwin i'm glad you've found freedom from religion in america. i live in florida, i'm a senior- seems everyone where i live are "christians". it gets rather lonely and frustrating when ppl don't want to talk to me, will openly chastise me and comment "i'm a christian! don't talk like that" (i was joking about a patch i was wearing to remove a wart). in a hurricane evac last year i was refused shelter in a neighbors's sister's home cuz I said god damn- told me they were christians- i'd thought supposed christians were charitable, didn't they want the time i woulda been confined due to the storm to "save my soul"?

yes.sometimes but When you taste the cup of truth you can not be convinced of the illusions of religions

No, nothing about religion appeals to me. I suppose if I were less of an introvert I might miss the sense of community, but I don't need that either.

I miss the social part, but that's it.

nah I dunno what I'm going back to cause I've not really seen reasons that God really exist

No I was not raised in a very religious family.

Nope! As a child, was forced to attend baptist church. That'll really turn any sane person against religion. I'm quite happy with science, common sense and knowledge. The more educated one becomes, the more likely they'll reject religion.

I miss the coffee and doughnuts every Sunday morning ..lol

No... I went to church thinking I better because I was told I should. I better pray to be forgiven. I better make sure I was in the right place with god if I die. Give me a brake? Ok, I met good people and made friends. That doesn't make up for the fear I had to endure. It did control my craziness as a child.

Hell no

NoH8 Level 2 Nov 16, 2017

I don't miss the religious life but I do miss the assembly of like mindedness though I soundly reject organized religion and the traditions of men today....

sometimes yes, i wish i was fool enough to not know what i know now. couse sometimes thinking about the ending of this life make me sad actually. this is the only distraction in religion that we might call it a good thing(and the main reason why the people believe ) , but unfortunately the truth don't care about this.

The sense of community was really nice.

Ariel Level 4 Nov 16, 2017

never had it

I don't, because I have one! I'm an ATHEOPAGAN, follower of a god-free, supernatural-free Earth-honoring path. There is no reason why nonbelievers should not have rituals, observances, and principles that cohere in a religious practice, and build community with fellow folks who share the interest. More info at atheopaganism.wordpress.com

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.