Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is an interesting and consequential question as, I firmly believe that many who would not claim to be agnostic or atheist, are resistant because of the fear of losing the rituals and community that religion provides. So, they go through the motions and avoid the self-reflection that one must go through to reach this epiphany.I still sang in the church choir, long after I stopped attending mass, and no one seemed to mind much.

No even as young child child i was ask for various forms of proof for the claims religion made...often it was just plattitueds at other ties it was veil threats that how i dre ask the mind of god..Well if nt mine who;s job is it question it...no i don't miss close minded ppl at all

No. I find religion to be like doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. It just does not happen!

"Never"- one word! I do not want to be cloistered in a web of stupidity. Although truth will very often take one out of their comfort zone- that is a better choice than being in La-la-land.

Sometimes I think safety in belief might be nice.

Jake Level 1 Oct 15, 2017

Sometimes my mind reflects back on what it felt like to be completely indoctrinated and feeling I had God's protection or holy spirit and my mind misses that feeling of security. However, I know that's not real. I also miss my parents, younger brother and sister and grandparents. I lost them all when I chose to leave. I don't miss the fake friendships or feeling judged.

Yes! I was brought up a Catholic .Went to confession and holy communion,even became an altar boy.I miss what I thought of as a child as certainties.The packaged stability that the church offered....around sex ,marriage,illness,guilt etc.Then as an adult you realise the dangers of feeling there are absolute guides to what is right and wrong.It is what is right or wrong for you as an individual that is important.My feeling of missing something is a price worth paying for value of finding things out for myself.

Mark Level 1 Oct 14, 2017

No. Honestly, I'm a bit ashamed out how religious I was.

Never felt religious. Even as a kid, Catholic mass felt like a charade. I understood the moral lessons but didn't take anything literally. I put all the teaching in the same category as other great fiction I loved like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, a valuable experience in my life, but I feel it has no direct bearing on my perception of my life.

No, because it makes no logical sense. The community feeling seems nice to tell you to realize most of those people act nice to tell you are no longer are in the area and they usually are a bunch of vipers.

I want to say that I miss the feeling of belonging, and of camaraderie, but honestly, that had been missing for YEARS before I finally gave up. I've found a very robust atheist community that I'm rather fond of. 🙂

Lanie Level 2 Oct 14, 2017

Yes, I do. I wish i could have the same feeling towards it but i knew i don't.

Never, Never
without religion, i am happy as a crow.

I really don't. I only really remember how depressed and self-hating I was because of religious belief. I just can't think of anything positive in my childhood that involved religion, or was caused by it in any way.

Sometimes. I listened to nothing but christian music for 15 years and was a christian for 28. I haven't been away from religion long. I still find myself starting to pray or thanking 'God' for something. Or wishing I had someone to talk to the way I did God. Now I just feel foolish for all I did talk to 'him'.

I miss it in the same way I miss childhood

Nope.

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

I was last “religious” in high school and even then, only to be in a “group”. It didn’t last long. I couldn’t bear it, actually. Do I miss it? Noooo.

Not at all my Sundays are now all mine.

yeah, especially when you lose your friends and family members because of your religious thought.

No, not at all. I did, however, enjoy the singing. I always liked to sing and that was the only part that I liked.

The only time I miss it is when I loose someone close to me. I would like to believe they are up in the sky hanging out together living a peaceful life but I just don't. Other then that I don't miss it at all. Once I stopped believing I feel a weight lifted off my shoulders and my eyes really open up!

Nothing to miss. My life is actually better not worrying about if I'm offending my imaginary friend.

It's a little shallow of me to say this but when I was religiously affiliated I had no problems on the dating scene; while not a pariah, my non-belief has made it more difficult to date in my area.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.