Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope...

I sometimes remember the 'Brainwash-Buzz/Aura-type' of sensations from those days of unwarranted-belief, but I wouldn't want to go back to that crap at all-!

It's a nice feeling to have a sense of community with like-people but even among the like-people there was so much contention and animosity that it was usually quite uncomfortable. I used to miss a good social life but found that even if I socialize with different groups in my community it always comes around to Christian or religious discussions so now I'm happy to live alone and have my doggie companions.

No. The sense of community with likeminded individuals would be the only thing; however, like @TMCBird said-- It's also why I joined this group.

no ,because saw thurth

Not at all. I was forced into youth group, and I always fell asleep during service. You think I wanted to get up on Sunday to go to mass, when I could have slept in?

I was never religious; I grew up in a non-religious household, but had brief periods of time occassionally attending church/church camp growing up so I could be with school friends (such as Sunday morning after sleepovers). I was not down for the religious aspects of it, ever, but I was, and still am, kind of envious of the built-in community aspect. It seems much easier to find an established community based on religion than any other shared interest/activity.

Nope.

I really have nothing to miss. Religion ceased being important here a long time ago. Naturally, i seldom ever went in a church and most people here do not either.

The same one I tried to follow before: treat others with respect and compassion. It's really too much to figure out if I should treat them the way they want to be treated, the way I want them to treat me, or they way I think I would want to be treated if I were in their situation. Respect and compassion seem to cover the bases.

I miss the sex. Friday confessional with father O'Flarety. Sweet memories. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hope no one is offended.

If so I can here your confession Friday. Or my confession whatever. My grandparents were Church of God, what do I know about confession ?

I miss singing in the choir (not that I was particularly good at it). I like good quality Anglican church music (none of your Hillsong rubbish!) Prayers and sermons have always bored me to death.

In the same way I miss having a sore throat....

I don't miss it but I often wonder how things went from my parents who were very devout Catholics to me not believing at all in one generation.

No way!
And I don't miss the judgemental attitudes over what is just in people's heads.

That's like asking a woman if she misses her abusive husband. 😀 Totally don't miss having to lie about how god is blessing me, nor do I miss constantly being told I am worth nothing and only god gives me value.

IKR that is just mental and emotional abuse. I’ve actually had people tell me that we are all just sinful, wicked humans that don’t deserve God’s grace.

I do not miss the religious life. I never had a religious life although I grew up in a religious home.

Sometimes I miss cultural things such as food on specific events and also language beauty but don't want that as ritual cuz I hate ignorance.

Never! I enjoy being an atheist.

Yes, Missed to be happy and stupid at the same time

I do miss the sense of unity ,community and support that a church has to offer. I suppose that's why Unitarian universalism was the answer for me. Church Without religion if you will.

No I feel very bad how I waste my time with them

uzair Level 3 Nov 25, 2017

Yes I do miss the social connections and events. The holidays seem less bright. I still love the holiday lights. When, where and how does a single anti theist, find reason in the holiday spirit? Is love just another biochemical reaction destined to always fade over time? Mostly I miss having a community to be a part of. Here in the Bible belt it is not easy to find friends with common ground.

I miss having the support of a community. I wish there was a Sunday Assembly in my area. Is anyone else familiar with that organization?

Someone on this site recommends universal Unitarian..it looks interesting...

Hell NO!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.