Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I fine with it, although I prefer Antitheist.

I'm very comfortable with the word atheist... don't think twice about it...

A word is a word.

I simply say (when prompted) that I don't believe in gods, or that I am not superstitious. Both work. I don't really care for the fact that I get a label for not believing in the unbelievable. I was an atheist long before I knew there was a word for it. I don't think I heard the word used in any meaningful way until I was 10 or 11.

Due to the large population of theists I'm fine with it. If they were the minority in the world atheist would just go out of common usage. Although having a word for yourself does make what you're saying easier to dismiss on an emotional basis.

The word you're looking for is "adults." There's this great line in "The Big Bounce" (2004): "God is an imaginary friend for grownups." I don't have a problem calling myself an atheist.

Completely! It has Latin and Greek roots a-thista meaning without a doctrine or assumption of belief. Perfect description of me!

It depends upon the situation in which I find myself at the moment. I tend to use atheist, agnostic, and secular humanist interchangeably even though there are obvious differences. If the situation calls for going into any detail at all, I will define my terms more carefully. I lack a belief in the divine, therefore I am an atheist. I am open to the possibility that some kind of entity may exist that could be called God, therefore I am an agnostic. I believe in living an ethical life, therefore I am a secular humanist.

Simply not. Not unless I have to say the word for the Theist to understand. I enjoy the word Humanist or Free Thinker yet not as much Skeptic because I am not a skeptic as that denotes in a way to me anyway negativity as does Atheist denote being opposite of something when I would rather simply say I am for humanity, I am for logical discourse, factual data and I am not one to fall for mystical faith thinking which is hurtful to society so I try to come at it from that angle instead of having to say I am an Atheist which to many is a misnomer and misunderstood and leaves me open to direct attack when as they say....honey brings more flies than vinegar and to help others to me is more important than pushing something in the face of another and many 100 percent Atheist speaking people....(yes, I am an Atheist and a kind one) ....seem to be as dogmatic as the Fundamentalists and that is a turn off and just spending life fighting...well, I had rather love and speak the truth in love if I can borrow a phrase written in the Theists texts they oft do not use. Speak the truth in love is so important to me and being patient in the face of adversity and never reveal your entire position until it becomes very necessary. Peace to you all.

Very comfortable

Quite comfortable.

I tell them I'm Free Thinker now after been raised Catholic and learned what all religions are about. As an adult now, I realized that NO ONE on this earth knows what happens once we die, and even preachers and pastors and other religious leaders do not know. They BELIEVE their faith. And that's o.k. It's just not TRUTH.

I am more comfortable with the word "Atheist" than I am with with the word "Crepuscular." But, that has nothing to do with atheism.

And, because I am NOT absolutely certain if God exists or not. and I have no interest in proving others wrong for believing in a God, if I do self identify, I announce I am Agnostic. In short, I know that I don't know if "God" exists or not. That's usually enough context for most folks but it does invite curiosity.

The "crepuscular" comment cracked me up!

It was a struggle at first and then...there it was.

I don't know, I oddly find it sexy; not going by a facade and letting yourself be the judge and knowing we're all equal. Often, thinking of a higher power can be quite overwhelming so kudos to all the atheists.

I am not comfortable with it. I think it implies a certainty that all the mysteries of the universe are known by only by me. It doesn't leave any room for doubt. I'm not that certain that I know the shape of the universe, or every entity in it. I just don't worship anyone.

Being an atheist is the human default position. We're all born atheists. We have to be taught that other nonsense. I'm totally comfortable with the word "atheist".

The word "atheist" carries an awful lot of baggage in the world. I prefer "agnostic." This word seems to make room for investigation while "atheist" seems so absolute and sure..... and militant.

Nope. I'm not actually an atheist. I believe in many possibilities, but since I don't actually know what's out there, I define myself as agnostic, or more specifically, a pantheistic buddhist christian agnostic. (it comforts me to retain some belief in christ, illogical as that it.)

Well, before Trump was elected, I was comfortable with it.

I work with Bible Belt Christians. If asked what my religion is, I no longer reveal that I am an atheist. Now, most fundamentalist types cannot deal with atheists, so I tell them I'm Jewish. They love Jews; makes them feel superior because they have jesus and Jews don't.

I am comfortable with the word, and I think it is needed because it seems like the norm is to have a believe in a deity. If a majority group was trying to install Bigfoot worship in our children's school, we would need a name for Abigfootists who were rational. I wish theists would come to their senses. Maybe some day they will join us, and the world can be as one.

I have only recently "come out" as a non-believer, and have pretty firmly decided that I do not want to be labeled as an atheist. In fact, I do not want ANY labels attached to me that reference whether or not I believe in gods/supernatural beings, etc. My desire is to simply be known as a fellow human being, who like everyone else, must find their way through this life and make the best of each and every day...to do good, and to do no harm...

I like to say I am a humanist.

I'm a new member here. I just usually say I'm a non believer. I live in the USA and sometimes some people have a look like you don't believe in god? They seem bewildered. That seems strange to me.

I don't think we should call our selves atheists as much as we don't call each other non-flat earthers, non-creationists, non-astrologers, etc.

I agree with your point. I like non-theist better, if a label must be applied.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.