Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm unfortunately very uncomfortable with the word atheist even though it is the most common term that would describe me. Though I suppose I'm technically anti-thiest. I'm an introverted person and I don't like conflict so I don't like using a word out loud to someone who doesn't know me. There's such a stigma against atheists that's mostly why I hesitate to use the word in conversation. Luckily it doesn't come up in conversation very often.

I don't like the baggage that comes with the word - but then again, it doesn't really apply to me. I am more comfortable with the term "non-theist".

I am neither comfortable or uncomfortable with the word "atheist" because it doesn't apply to me. Compared to the history of what we know of the current universe, humans created all their gods- and it was such a short time ago. It just doesn't interest me.

I don't think we should justify what we do or don't believe atheist have been around a lot longer than any religion.

Meh.

I am very comfortable with the word "Atheist." However, you have to understand what the word means and how to use it in a sentence.

First of all, the word atheist is derived from the Greek language, the letter "a" meaning "non" or "not" and "theist" meaning someone who believes in theology or the study of religion. A person who is atheist does not conform to theology just like asymmetrical is not symmetrical, atypical is not typical, etc.

When someone asks if you believe in religion or god, your answer would be; "No I am atheist." Notice that I did not use the word "an" in front of atheist. That is because the word "an" would indicate that you are part of an organized group. Unless you belong to the First Atheist Church in Dallas, I would guess that you do not belong to a group that teaches atheism.

I see this as rather simple- and concise. All man-made gods are foolish nonsense. If Nature is 'cognitive'- and not the smartest person on earth, or any person that has ever been on earth, knows this- that would make Nature a god/creator- or whatever you want to call 'it'.
And the lesson in composition: "an" is the article that replaces "a" when the following word starts with a vowel. Ain't difficult.

It is not mandatory to use an article such as "an" in the case of the statement "I am atheist." Just as the article "an" is not necessary for the following statements, "That shape is asymmetrical" or The patient's symptom is atypical.

In fact, when you break down the meaning of the words, placing "an" in front does not make sense. I am an non-theist. The patient's symptom is an non-typical. That shape is an non-symmetrical.

Yes, Mr. Allen, you figured it out- apparently by accident. Yes you do not put "an" in front of a word beginning with a consonant such as "non-typical". I think that must be pre-kindergarten grammar.

@Allamanda I took a teaching course about three decades ago- and I've forgotten most of it. Ah, poor me! LOL, but I am not presenting my thesis in the Agnostic room, anyway.

My cardinal point: I am NOT going to argue with anyone about man-made gods (Nooooo, I did not put a capital on "gods"; that word deserves no capital) I am a "believer"- in reality! Persons that will argue with a theist obviously have too much time on their hands. I am not an atheist.

I am an agnostic. The smartest people in the world can only speculate about how many "Big Bangs" there have been- and a plethora of other, currently-unknowable subjects.

To use it in some circumstances it seems harsh, especially here in the south USA. Sometimes I politely just say I am not a believer, or I might say I have found no compelling proof that it really helps anyone or is true. I have done many things for my community and have heard that people have said they didn't think an atheist would be as giving or helpful. I simply say we are all humans and are in this struggle called life together.

I am comfortable with the word, but so many people misunderstand what atheism is. I'm agnostic, but people think I'm atheist when I talk about my agnosticism because it does entail components of atheism. Also, theists think that atheists hate god(s) and so take offense, when the truth is that one cannot hate something that one feel does not exist.

I don't mind the term at all. However, I cannot say with 100% accuracy that I know there is no God. But everything I have seen and believe makes me think with great certainty that there isn't one. However, like science, if someone ever gives me definitive proof, I'll take it. So I'm agnostic.

I used to feel that way, too, but then I realized that most atheists would gladly change their minds if given irrefutable proof of the existence of god(s), so I stopped splitting hairs and started referring to myself as atheist. I mean, there are atheists out there who would refuse to accept proof if it existed, but I think the majority of us are rational human beings who put our faith in science and are willing to change our minds when presented with new information.

That having been said, you won't find me holding my breath.

@Allamanda Hence, my decision to describe myself as atheist. ?

I am a devout atheist, and believe atheism makes pecfect, logical sense. Follow along: amoebas who were brainless, virtually shapeless forms of early life, supposedly somehow multiplied and developed into a higher form of life???? What about dinosaurs, again, brainless forms of life who basically scavenged for food when the only food was tree bark and greenery. Did God then say " OOPS, made a mistake, don't quite like this life form", and so instead of vaporizing these poor creatures, he covered the earth with a thick black cloud and suffocated these poor animals to death. Can you even imagine gasping for air where there is no air left to sustain these life.
I have lived in my own personal hell for over half a century, and for 35 of those hellish years prayed to a God that never once answered my prayers. There is no loving, kind merciful God that would create a thing to suffer from birth to death. There are dinosaur bones, proof of both Cro-magnum and Neanderthal man, the skeleton Lucy, but nothing showing a compassionate loving entity watching over His Supposed creations.

Frankly, I really don't like the term. "A-theist" simply declares 'what you're not'.

It's like someone asking you on the phone, "What color is your hair?",
and you answer with, "I'm not a blonde."

On the other end of the line you hear...
"Ummmm... okay... Well, I wasn't asking what you're 'not'... I was asking what you 'are'.
Okay, you're just too weird. Good bye." (-click-)

I think that not discussing it with religious people is easier. I'm really not into arguing and for the most part I don't care what they believe as long as they don't impose on me.

I am comfortable with Atheist, but maybe we should call ourselves "non-delusional" versus the "delusionals".

applauds vigorously

Brilliant!

It will fly with me, and anyone else that gives it wings.

I am going to use it the next chance I get, and I'll tell you what happens. 🙂

That would be a great T-Shirt!

Probably only the non-delusional would agree 🙂.

@josh_is_exciting Not idiots. Delusional. Big difference.

Love it! @AtheistInNC you earned Level 9 in my eyes with this one! I have not heard this one before, it's exquisite! On labeling oneself "non-delusional" it defines and exposes how abnormal their belief system is.

@SACatWalker "Realist": That was my thought, too.

@SACatWalker @Paul628 I have referred to myself as a "Realist" on many occasions as well. The setting and area of discussion determines what I may call myself, be it "non-believer", atheist, Realist, Secularist, Humanist, or "denier of the legend!" LOL

Assuming we are in fact non delusional. There are more ways to delude oneself besides religion. Be aware of my-side bias

@josh_is_exciting A very good point and well taken.

I don't think that many of the religious minded actually enter reasonable discourse ... and if I should find myself in that situation, I certainly wouldn't ruin it by calling them delusional. However, is it an ad hominem attack if it is true? If you accuse someone of having brown eyes - and they do - is that an ad hominem attack if they think of themselves as a blue-eyed Aryan?

Delusional:
a : something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated: delusions of grandeur
b psychology : a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; also: the abnormal state marked by such beliefs

Religious folks, by definition, are delusional.

I am fat. Very fat - morbidly obese as the doctor's say. Telling me I'm fat or calling me fat is the same to me as telling me I have brown hair. Meh. Some may consider it an attack, but if it is true - then it isn't an "ad hominem attack", you are just stating the obvious, and doesn't hurt my feelings a bit. If the religious don't like being called delusional, do something about the delusion - prove I'm wrong, or stop believing what isn't true.

I don't have a problem with the term. It's just a word, and although many of the labels we ascribe to people can be too narrow and limited, I don't think "atheist" is.
Where it is a problem is when religious people think of it as another belief system.

JimG Level 8 Nov 5, 2017

Hi JimG, I am curious to know why you feel it is a problem if religious people think of atheism as another belief system?

@mrdunn the only thing we have in common is that we don't believe in gods. Theirs no atheist hierarchy or common ideology. Religious sects have a lot more in common and are more unified in their belief systems than we atheists.

Very comfortable

No problem.

Waltz Level 4 Nov 4, 2017

very

flora Level 3 Nov 4, 2017

I guess I prefer the term "non-theist". To me atheist implies I am anti-religion. I really don't care what anyone believes as long as their beliefs are not forced on me. Non-theist (to me) implies that I have no interest in theism.

"A" to me is anti. I prefer not to be a militant atheist.

I don't think I full understand it. I understand theist is belief in the existence of a god or gods. So why slap an a on the start and have that meaning be the opposite? Is this an English word? Who made it...We need to make a better one.

The "a" is from the Greek word "non" and it means that you are a nontheist.

I understand your point about the idea of labeling us as atheist. However, considering the way in which the English language is structured, we need an adjective to identify ourselves as non-believers. Since atheist has become the official term in the English language, I have no problem being labeled as atheist.

The word is a real word, with the meaning it has. There is no need to deny it describes you, But take ownership and include the context that atheist is a word that theists need, not atheists, and explain how there is commonly some inaccurate/inappropriate/irrational associations with the word among some theists.

Very comfortable; and indifferent to what others may think.

I think Atheist is just a word made up by people who want other people to believe what they believe.

argo Level 4 Nov 3, 2017

Extremely comfortable.

I think that image of G#d pushed at us by most organized religion is not only a grave insult to common sense but if G#d actually existed he/she/it would be supremely pissed at the triviality with which believers tend to describe "G#d" - a petty humourless, vindictive, narrowminded bureaucrat.
As for the term "atheist" - it has a ring of "believing" that there is no G#d (in the absence of possibility of proof). The best I can say - and stay intellectually honest is that existence G#d is highly unlikely taking into accounts facts known to me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.