Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great post. It’s never bothred me, really.

I'm fine with it. When some states their faith, then I become uncomfortable.

dokala Level 7 July 20, 2018

I'd be more comfortable with it if there weren't so many people defining it incorrectly. Nearly every Christian I speak to thinks it means "a person who believes there is no god", and they can't grasp the difference of "lacking belief in a god", no matter how clearly it's explained to them.

So I just avoid the confusion by saying I'm "non-theist" or "secular humanist". It's easy to agree on the definition of those.

I just simply say i'm not into their trusting, believing and hoping and praying world, just pure and simple. they can call me what they please or put whatever label they want, it does not botheer or have any effect on me, i just smilingly go along my way !!!!

My inclination is to call my self an Atheist because I think that on balance there is no god.
But logic tells me that although there is no proof for the existence of a god, there is no proof of non-existence either.
So I am comfortable with "Atheist or Agnostic", preferring the latter.

I say I don't believe in the supernatural

I prefer to call myself non theist rather than atheist, as I espouse Humanist beliefs and quite often Atheism is used as a derogatory term by religions who like to portray us as believing in nothing.

I absolutely fine with the term and I am greek; meaning I understand the word in its original form.

the first ones are for children by living parents who want to bring a little light relief into a celebration of a cold winter children know bu=yt the time they are five or six that their parents are responsible they just join in the game for fun -but religion is as unlike these harmless treats as it possibly could be .

jacpod Level 8 June 26, 2018

Extremely comfortable. Also Comfortable with the title ExJew.

It's about as completely descriptive of me as "white" or "tall" are. That, and it tends to keep the religious away from trying to pull me into their meetings.

I'm okay with the term, but then I'm compelled to point out that I'm afootballist and abaseballist, as well.

I don't get invited to many parties.

LOL! Have a party by yourself. Make it a life long habit. I do.

It’s accurate.

sasekg Level 3 June 19, 2018

VERY!

I like "non-believer". The label "atheist" does seem to come with baggage and people view it as it being "stronger" than what it actually means. Non-believer simply states that my position is contrary to theirs. It's not such a dogmatic label, I feel, more "here is my position".

People at work hold up their crosses (on their necklaces)-and back away..???

@J-MaisOui haha!

Only if you accept the baggage. I don't. It belongs to the believer...LOL

@BrigittaCuadros if we are talking about general people that don't already have a relationship to me, then yes I use the term atheist without caring about the baggage. But with people I have known all my life and are still religious or at least believe in a God, then it can be confronting to come right out and say "I'm an atheist" and the baggage of that term can lead to misunderstandings. I like to take the softly softly approach with those i love and still want in my life 🙂

Belief is a tricky thing. Most us would believe that we are who we are told we were. We all came without labels nor were batteries included. All beings are born without religion, nationality, language nor name. Yet after intense conditioning we react to our name being called out, Some people jump to their feet when they hear the melody of "their" anthem.
The seeds of believing before knowing are implanted in the tender infant brains and later become harder to eradicate.
I don't stand up for an anthem unless someone threatens my physical integrity with a nasty instrument. Even hardened atheists think they have to stand.

"The seeds of believing before knowing are implanted in the tender infant brains and later become harder to eradicate." Indeed and that helps the infants early chances of survival. It is later nurtured to keep the individual manageable with nefarious intention to exploit.

This year I annouced that I am atheist. First time I said it to my Christian's parents I felt like vomitting but at the same time liberating. Now I am breathing. I think I need to say more often that I am an atheist, so it becomes natural .

Atheism does need to be taught. At some point, people will have questions. Certainly, you can turn down the "answers" given by religion, but that still leaves you with questions. Since most questions are about the nature of the natural world, Science has the answers to those questions. When the questions turn to the more philosophical, perhaps there should be a dedicated source for answers. The religious certainly mine those doubts to their cause.

I prefer godless heathen.

I boldly answer that I am an Atheist with Buddhist philosophy and Wiccan holidays 🙂
I was a Wiccan from ages 15 to about 40....really involved in rituals and coven membership/leadership. I did a lot of activism that resulted in the DoD recognizing paganism as a religion and allowing the Pentagram to be on military headstones. This resulted in a LOT of new recognitions by the DoD and bases being opened to all religions and religious meetings.
I had always "dabbled" in Buddhism since I earned a BA in Comparative Religions and attended seminary graduating in 1993. I even ran a marriage chapel/reception hall at a huge touristy spot for a while. I've performed over 3000 weddings and I also do funerals for pagans, atheists, and other non-traditional paths.
I now attend a Buddhist group for meetings, meditation, and chanting...but I still also hang out with the local pagans on their holidays because it's enjoyable and they are good people.
🙂 yes...that's me in the photo from my Wiccan days

I try to avoid labels for myself. I've never thought about representing myself as atheist or non-theist. I do, however, cringe when I find myself calling myself a vegetarian. It means I have slipped into a defining concept for myself. I don't eat meat but this doesn't warrant a descriptor. Vegetarian, atheist, public servant, all these labels detract from who or what we are away from the glare of presenting a social face.

I agree. We don't nd to explain. We are what we are.

Unindoctrinated ? Wise ? Intelligent ? Untainted ? Was being admitted to a hospital for surgery , and was answering questions before they got started - Do you smoke ? Drink ? Use drugs ? Believe in God ? Have someone to rely on , in case of emergency ? To all of which , I answered no . She then looked at me and asked , well , what do you do when you need help ? What is your crutch ? Told her , I just stand on my own two feet .

I use godless.

It's still a label, but I refer to myself as a non-theist, not an atheist. Purely a personal preference because I never try to convince anyone that there's no god ─ let people believe what they believe ─ though I will explain why I'm a non-believer if asked.

I feel comfortable with non-theist, agnostic, secular, humanist, skeptic. Words don't matter that much. I simply identify as non-religious. I often refer to myself as a Thinker. I try to think ... I give it a good try, lol.

The term doesn't bother me in the slightest because to me it's no different from any of the other labels I use to describe myself (white, straight). If I want to soften it at all 'll say "they're all godless heathens like me." Somehow this seems to make it more palatable to religious co-workers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.