Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm comfortable with it and it's meaning. Against Theism, aka Atheism.

Actually, atheist is without belief. Anti-theist is against theism. I'm both, but tho an anti-theist is most likely an atheist, the obverse is not necessarily the case.

It simply means not theist so I am fine with that

Of course. I mean, the only thing that Atheist means is that I reject the claims made by theists. I think the best thing I've read is " I'm good, without God. I'm good without God." That comma makes all the difference but the meaning ultimately remains the same. We simply reject the claims of theists, that's all. There are other names for what we "are" but Atheist seems to fit.

I get pride when people call me an Atheist... I mean yes I am!

I myself am very comfortable with the term Atheist. My family and my wife are not so comfortable with my position regarding Religions. I see the reasoning of the past to develop Religion for the control and comfort of the masses. The need to have an explanation for things unknown has always been a necessity for the young and ignorant. I remember asking my mother why the sky is blue and being told because God willed it so. Didn’t buy it then so I studied the science behind it and realized that I would have to find my own answers. I digress because while I saw the reasons for religion I also saw it’s ugly side, the hatred of others who do not believe as they do the wars, the slavery, the subservient conditions of women ingrained into the very fabric of society that is nurtured by all religions. Seems to me that oceans of blood have been spelt in the name of religions. I myself can certainly walk through this life as an agnostic or an atheist knowing I have no hate or blood on my hands in the name of a god/deity who divides humanity.

Always seemed weird to me to define yourself by something you're not. Whatevs though. I'm ignostic myself, so am safely left out of this particular debate.

Not that comfortable - conjures up images of that dreadful Dawkins fellow and his followers' ironically dogmatic approach generally.

Obviously, you are not an atheist, so I can see why you wouldn't be comfortable. & Dawkins doesn't have "followers". He's a science writer, primarily on evolution, (& a damn good one!) that also happens to speak on subjects regarding religion, atheism & belief in general, & is damn good at that, too! Nothing he states is "dogma", & I disagree with him on occaision, just as I have my differences with Dennett, Harris, Hitchens, Krauss, et al. Atheism has no dogma, it is a simple statement on non-belief, usually on the grounds of lack of proof. Just out of curiosity, are you here just to troll? Fine with me if you can bring actual evidence or arguments with you.

Began your screed with a strawman then got less interesting. Q, where do mansplainers get their water? A, from a well actually

It's the perfect, unambiguous description of me. Why pander to someone's insecurity.

I'm pretty comfortable with it, and can see how people arrive to that conclusion with me. My only gripe is that I'm not actually atheist.

Atheism has such a negative connotation. Growing up Catholic, I thought that atheists were really scary people. In the US, Muslims are more highly regarded than atheists. I think religious people fear atheism because it undermines the whole religious foundation. Even in the US, where we supposedly have separation of church and state. I think religion, like economics, cannot be separated from politics and power. For me personally, I accept the term atheist because it is unambiguous. I do not believe in any higher power, ie. God, period.

The problem, & why I think it is important to embrace the term "atheist" is the "supposed" separation of church & state in this country. Support the FFRF!

Martin Amis, Christopher Hitchens' best friend said that he is agnostic because of the things we still don't know about the universe. I agree with that. I choose the term Anti-Theist because when you live in a world where Buddhists are committing genocide...thats sort of cancels out all of the above.

my contention has always been that no one knows. No one can know. I admit that anything could be the truth, from Druids to Scientologists. Religion is for people who have to know, thats why it exists.

Comfortable, it translates to - 'without a god'

I will not identify as anything but as an atheist. Pagan, agnostic, non believers etc.. all of these terms aren’t quite descriptive enough as to the fact that I do not believe in a god and or gods. The term atheist makes me feel confident, which is important when dealing with the believers and is also a simple explanation. People hear “atheist” and feel as if we have these crazy beliefs, when we have the most simple explanation for them.

I will add qualifiers if needed. I'm an agnostic atheist. A Humanist. A skeptic. A freethinker. & the beat goes on, depending on the context & need for explanation.

I will not identify as anything but as an atheist. Pagan, agnostic, non believers etc.. all of these terms aren’t quite descriptive enough as to the fact that I do not believe in a god and or gods. The term atheist makes me feel confident, which is important when dealing with the believers and is also a simple explanation. People hear “atheist” and feel as if we have these crazy beliefs, when we have the most simple explanation for them.

I have no response because that's a real thinker and can only compliment saying that that was very well put and I must agree on this point of view 100% ???? and must say there's just an awful amount of stigmata that come along with that word such as frowns, anger and and then there's the Christian thing to do HATE...

I have no response because that's a real thinker and can only compliment saying that that was very well put and I must agree on this point of view 100% and must say there's just an awful amount of stigmata that comes along with that word such as frowns, anger and then there's the Christian thing to do, HATE...

I think that every act we make every word we speak defines us and that is possible that it is no shock to anyone to admit to being an atheist. I am with you totally about the state of non believing -
I think it might be quite uninteresting because it doesn't really register as a 'doing' verb just passive and uninteresting except if someone is up for a fight to reclaim your soul for you. I suppose I would take issue with 'insanity' - I think people who genuinely believe and are comfortable with that belief and don't proseletyse have found a good way to ensure that they have positive mental health albeit one I wouldn't choose.

I consider myself a Secular Humanist but I will say that I am an Atheist without hesitation.

This word has negative connotations and for things to really change the language has to come along and help change it. The "Brights" movement is one such program. It is international and has some important advocates.

It is said no one is born with a religion; one acquires it. Getting religion out of the public sphere is paramount to changing the impact of religion. FFRF is the main warrior to this ends. It is also supported by this site.

Non religious is best for me personally although the term can be very subjective. As a musician. I'm very 'religious' about my music and the performance thereof.

I agree Atheism is the default position, but I wear it proudly if for no other reason that believers in Santa Claus don't try to dictate political & social issues as theists do. FFR is an important issue & I'll stand behind it any way I can!

I'm happy with Atheist. Prefer Anti-theist though

I just say I’m a humanist. It’s all I know.

I would prefer being called "atheist" rather than a non-believer or any such wishy washy term. The term atheist is more in your face.

I believe most believers know well that a lot of what they usually say they believe(possibly because their community believes it) is non sense and the very presence of "people who are aware of your nakedness" makes them insecure. I would like my very presence to be felt as something that discourages belief in ridiculous things, something the term "atheist" ensures.

yes its real and it stops most people from answering I do only use it as a last resort though

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.