Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Use it only as an adjective and avoid the budding orthodoxies. 🙂

Not too comfortable simply because it elicits a negative reaction from people.. That's why I call myself an agnostic because it is more socially acceptable. Also, I figure if there really is a God and I end up having a judgment day, then I can always say to him/her "Well, I never said I didn't believe in you." So saying I'm an agnostic instead of an atheist is a way of hedging my bet. LOL

It's just a descriptor, though it does have certain negative connotations in certain circles. I just don't care; I'm very comfortable being known as an atheist. If anyone takes it the wrong way, I know it's only because they're ignorant, and it doesn't really bother me. Maybe if I had personal acquaintances who would take offense, I'd care more.

Very

It's the best description that everyone understands clearly - I love it. I really don't care if it is stigmatized. Besides, you can stigmatize anything, so it's not about the atheist, but the persons perception of it. I am a very proud, life long atheist and really no longer care what others think of that.

It must be a wonderful think to have absolute truth, so much so that no discussion is necessary anymore. But is this not dogmatic just as much as some/most religions are dogmatic???

@Gripster31 No, not dogmatic. It just stops people from proselytizing and let's others know that without faith, I love hearing facts, which are subject to change, while faith is more fixed and based on fantasies in the absence of facts. I find the word 'Atheist' a practical description - unless a better catch word comes along.

@Gripster31 I am lot's of other things - some are life long and some things come and go. I can be a bitch or I can be a hero....get what I mean?

@BrigittaCuadros facts are objective. What is often changing is our understanding of their meaningk

Completely

To me "atheist" is like a warm soft 800 thread count pillow filled with downy rationality.

I am pretty comfortable calling myself an Athiest, it is what I am!

Fine.

It's because we put a lot of weight, culturally, into religion. As well, most people are to some degree religious, so we're the minority.

In the same way, most people have sex, so we have a word for virgins.

Atheist is the accurate term for what I am, but I hate it when people confuse atheists with antitheists. I respect all beliefs and wish that in turn, my own will be respected. I'm always willing to admit I could be wrong (though my beliefs are strong).

Just tell folks you're a realist and smile.....that's what I do.

Very

I dislike it, because it only indicates what I'm not. It says nothing about what I am. Same applies to agnostic.

Proud atheist practicing tolerance and kindness!

Words are but words, each of us has a different image of each word in our mind, so who cares what label people wish to play with ?

I am fine with it. What I'm not fine is with is when people call it a religion or belief system. I also enjoy explaining to people what it means if they ask, and the occasional look of horror when they realize I'm a godless sodomite.

I try not limit myself to the binary ....I like to call myself a person with an imagination. My main problem with the religion/theology realm is the following: I just find it all too limiting. When I was younger and had feelings of awe, it was to a tree. (So I could build a whole religion/theology around worshiping a tree.....but then my tree religion would have to ban the bird religion. Getting carried away here).....I will stick with imagination. Especially as we have the Huble telescope sending back images of the multi-universe....mind blowing!!! So what ever is going on just doesn't fit into any religion I know of!

I fond it is teh word that shuts people up who are on my case they back off when I say I am atheist so I use it when I need to - otherwise I am quite happy without a label and knowing that I don't have a god.

Haha, I "came out" about 3 years ago to my family. We were raised strict Catholic. I now have no problem telling anyone how I feel. I am at the age where I am comfortable in my own skin. I don't owe anyone an explanation.

I've changed my mind since previously commenting.
By definition, atheist merely is someone who lacks a belief in any god or gods.
that's me.
I find labels limiting and give people room to box us into their narrow thinking-
however, there's a greater good reason to affirm myself as atheist...
in this political climate where it's being espoused that not being christian is the root of all our evils, it's vital that those who lack a belief in a god or gods unite and refer to ourselves as atheists.
atheists who are good because we choose to be, not because we have to be...
we do, we don't pray.
and on and on...

I am a through and through non - believer, zero fairy tales or magical thinking here,
but
a proudly affirm I am also atheist.

r'amen

I don't mind people knowing I am a athiest I am proud of the fact I am a athiest free from invisible friends

I like your entire premise....it is just that "they"( believers) were here first.

As far as I am concerned it does the job most people i know know what it means and I am not one for tinkering about with language - as long as I am understood to a certain level -fine! I hate reading posts about hte nitty gritty of a word Atheist is a pretty well known word it works for me. end of.

Good point. The word "atheist" is a tribute to the power and influence of the powers that be. I've studied etymology as a hobby since high school. Throughout much of history if you didn't believe the standard orthodoxy you could have been burned at the stake during the Inquisition for being a "heretic." The derivation of the word? Heretic comes from the Latin word for "other." Just not believing in the standard catechism could doom you to a horrible death by torture and fire. What deplorable arrogance!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.