Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (376 - 400)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Having Catholic Schooling even on College. the first time I lied to a priest in the confessionary and I wasn't stricken by the Mighty Reach of God Almighty while still on 4th grade... the Faking and Lying On church Started. The Rest is History... Very Comfortable.

honestly, Im from the bible belt, so calling myself an atheist here is like asking to be thrown in a viper pit.. so not that comfortable.

i do anyway, sometimes to do christians a heckin concern.. sometimes in a feeble attempt to educate.. Ive met two christians with an open mind as a result. theyre genuinely good, curious, and self driven people though, so very different from the masses.

the word atheist has gotten such a negative connotation over the years bc of the radicalization of super religions.. maybe we should rebrand to "Realism" and see who gets it

When I look at all the misery caused by religion, I thank god I'm an atheist.

Although I've referred to myself as an atheist at times, I'm not totally down with the word, which originally was employed only to condemn those who doubted religion. I wouldn't categorically deny the existence of something I cannot even conceive of, but I will remain skeptical. After all, I don't believe anyone knows everything there is to know, or even much, about this universe, existence, life, reality -- whatever -- and its origins.
In fact, I don't even know why my profile picture is sideways.

I'm totally fine. I'm up in the air with the word agnostic though. People I encounter tend to use it to describe people who "haven't found Jesus", like if I only knew what they know, I am still saveable. That's just not true, though. I left religion, it wasn't that I just didn't get into it.

I am just honest about atheism and how nobody can be truly 100% certain. We can say there's no evidence, and act as though that's the same as there not being a god, but they're logically two different things. It's like saying no oranges are blue. That's awfully hard to prove. It's just as hard to prove as someone saying somewhere there exists a blue orange, but I can't tell you anything more about it.

I love the word Atheist. I have to remind myself not to be so smug about it on the inside since I'm surrounded by deluded people. Ha ha ha!

While a identify as a Huxleyan agnostic I think that leads to being a post-modern atheist: ie, one who does not believe in God(s). So I am comfortable with being identified as an atheist in that sense.

Which Huxley is that?

Oops! Should have been "While I identify" Thanks for the pass on the typo. That would be Thomas Huxley, the scientist who coined the word agnostic in 1869. He initially was encouraging young scientists to resist religious pressure and insist on evidence in order to accept something as true. He specifically said that we couldn't know about "metaphysical" statements in the absence of any evidence one way or the other (about th existence of a God, for example.

It seems to be a double edge sword . A baby is born , the sun rises the sun sets both are beautiful . Unexplained blessing , the healing of the sick , you say there is a God . Then you see the death of an infant , sickness, disease all kind of injustice in the world . You wonder is there a God , does he exist . If so why is he allowing all this to happen. Why is everyone in such turmoil and I am so blessed . The bible teaches seek and you shall find so I asked God why he said its my will , . WILL FOR WHAT PURPOSE. Its a matter of trust , trusting there is a God and everything works for the good to those that love him . To love him or her is to know him , talk to him or her through our prayers and faith in him . Watch how he works in your life . The country prayed for healing of our land and Trump became president, now everyone seems to be pissed off he is . Faith and trust .

It seems to be a double edge sword . You see a sun rise,, the birth of a child, healing of the sick, unexplained blessing , you would say there must be a God .. Then you see a child dying , war , famine , all kind of injustice and wander where is god . Does he exist , or why am I so blessed and others are not . Then we are taught not to question what god does ,its his will . The bible says seek and you shall find , so we seek an answer and God replies,"its my will ". I would still like to know why .

I believe it is just a way of grouping and dividing people. I'm not comfortable with the word "Atheist" and what it implies. I have to catch myself correcting or justifying my position. Now, I just attack Christianity... LOL

Christianity deserves to be attacked. The God of that belief system is downright hideous!

very comfortable like being called an American.

sticks and stones dude stick and stones.

I love it because, unlike Agnostic, it makes religious people extremely uncomfortable. When we use the term "agnostic" they feel like we are like them only we haven't settled on a god yet. Atheist pretty much tells them where I stand. They get pretty bothered. I enjoy that. 🙂

I use it for political reasons ,and I use it because I get tired of explaining Agnostic to people that obviously do not want to hear it.

I agree with that -- I feel like it's a bit presumptuous to declare there's no god, but I oppose the employment of god or belief in it in public policy, so I identify politically as atheist. And also the explaining thing.

Very..... it usually makes the ppl that are paying attention uncomfortable.

Vico Level 5 Nov 30, 2017

It has taken me a while. I never liked Madeline Murray O'Hair. She seemed hateful. I still don't think I would feel comfortable wearing a T-shirt extolling Atheism. It may be because I detest any form of proselyting..

hey look. When you come to a reckoning you come to a r e c think o n i n g.

I don't care for labels at all. Sexually people try to get me to label myself as omnisexual or bisexual - neither is necessarily correct. I am even more frustrated with spiritual labels.

what I'm certain of is that I've never been in contact with anyone who comes close to believing in a manner that doesn't offend me - until now. Really glad I joined here. One of my hero's was an expert in Mythology, a scholar, and an author. She passed a couple of years ago. Miss you Acharya!!!

I always reckoned that atheists take religion too seriously. A friend of mine was raised an evangelical Christian, going door too door. And today he is an evangelical atheist, constantly posting on the grievous failings of the bible.

If we're trying to be rational, we have to admit that God is non-falsifiable and a suitcase word as well. Why bother protesting God, if we're not protesting nationalism, sportsball, television, or video games as well?

Seems easier just to get on with life.

I love the word atheist! Not only does it piss off religious people, but it fits my identity of non belief

I am not at all comfortable with the word atheist. It has too many negative ideas attached to it in the minds of other people. That's why I call myself a free thinker. The only time I use it in reference to myself is when I introduce myself as, God's Favorite Atheist

what negative ideas?

No morals, devil worship, eating babies. Too many people just get a real negative gut reaction at the very mention of the word.

Do you notice how atheist is typically spelled Atheist. As with everything, it's those with closed minds who are compelled to label and compartmentalize what they don't understand, much in the same way religions are created. Some go so far as to call Atheism a religion, figuring that it is based on the "belief" that there is no God, to which I say nonsense. If someone isn't a sports fan, do you call them a "non-sports" fan? Atheism is not a belief system, it is merely a lack of belief, thus I like to call it atheism with a small a.

godef Level 7 Nov 27, 2017

If you identify as an Atheist,own it. Become comfortable with accepting that it is what and who you are. I understand the dislike or fear of labels but if that fear of admitting to yourself and other people that you are Atheist is because you fear what other people are going to say or change their opinion on you, then that's on them, not you. Accept who you are and what you believe.

I never really had to use the word atheist to describe myself in conversation. I don’t believe in what I THINK most people think when they say they believe in god, BUT, when these people are actually sat down and questioned what they think god is, you get extremely varied responses. So if there isn’t a definitive way to describe “god” then why would I put a definitive label on myself such as atheist, when no one can even agree on what god is.. that being said, just the fact that we, as humans have the capacity to even contemplate abstractly is, in a way, godly in and of itself.

I am comfortable with being an atheist. I do realize the stigma attached to the word. Some get confused and think it means worshipping satan or being morally inferior. People need to understand that it simply means we don’t believe in a higher power.

I'm quite comfortable with it, but I'm also sensitive to others' discomfort. I'm more likely to say something like, "I don't believe that."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.