Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A good English word. Whats wrong with it?

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

Doubt is normal in humans; we can have doubts about a relationship with another person. So, it is normal, healthy behavior to doubt that there is some being/entity behind the creation of our universe. Perhaps, the issue is a need for those who "believe" to condemn those who don't because those who say they believe are "whistling in the dark."

Agnostic, Athiest, Abortion... all ring with a similar sound. Seems many/most people, society find the word, the idea aberrant... (intended)... other than that, I’m wearing a pin on my collar.
Abortion was sold by most religions, politicos as the worst possible choice a person (couple) could make... murder, etc.
Atheism, denying the existence of the creator of life.. you’re “murdering” an innocent child/baby. Agnostic, thought of as the same... word association is there... “religion/politics” tell you how evil of all three choices are... (the guilt) haunt you the rest of your life.
... but, of course all these religions and their god love you...

Tomas Level 7 Dec 18, 2017

... I should add, I’m taking old school thinking, the judgemental, the guilt... tough to get past the tag of “atheist”...

Secular, agnostic, atheist, non-religious. What do these words really mean? Are we not simply describing the default position that everyone is born into? Why can't we just be who we are? Labels are just burdens and groups are just walls that divide us. Embrace our similarities, but celebrate our differences and the world will be a better place.

More than I am with xtians where as atheist question things rather than throw a shut up or goto hell fit. They are much better company and honestly I prefer quality over quantity.

I like nontheist.

I'm comfortable with the word while wishing there were a term that was not anti-something. It would make more sense for the religious to be called anti-reason.

Not very. It feels negative. I am a humanist.

Joyce Level 2 Dec 18, 2017

I am "sweatpants"-comfortable with the word "atheist". 🙂

Very comfortable. It is accurate.

Atheism is a word. If 'you' are hung up on a word then where is the conviction of 'your' beliefs? Thinking 'you' need a 'badge' to identify 'yourself' as Atheist is no different than Jesus Jumpers walking around with crosses.

Ruadh Level 3 Dec 17, 2017

Not the point... many of us are coming from an era when a community would shun anyone claiming to be an atheist, was worse than being a “dirty commie”... noticed a post where it was asked if you are “out of the closet”, so the fear, concern is there. Imagine any politician coming out as atheist... stick a fork in him/her.

Well given that theism is belief in a god, and I don't believe in a god, and atheist, is belief in no gods, I guess I am an atheist. I do love the "non delusionist" comment though, most apt.

I look at the word "atheist" the same way I look at the words "Christian," "Muslim," "Jewish," etc. The two sides claim certainty in an area where it is impossible to produce empirical evidence to prove one way or the other given our current understanding of nature, and our current level of technology. You can accept, or reject, the existence of some deity, but it is impossible to say with any degree of certainty whether there are deities, or no.

I am pretty fine with it, even though I agree that it should be the natural state of thinking compared to being actively religious. Living in a pretty conservative place, I usually keep it to myself unless asked directly.

What can anybody actually do to me for being an atheist? Fire me? The answer unfortunately is yes. They can and do. In this internet driven environment be careful where you post. This site and other revealing sites are pits of information the religious fundies mine for 'miscreants'. That said, I'm retired and now safe from them. So, take your god and shove it fundies. You ain't welcome here at all.

My opinion is pretty close to what's written in the post. I have no real problems with the word atheist itself but the connotation it often has.

It don't bother me none. I personallydon't think or take in a derogatory way

Agender, asexual, atheist, a- just means 'lacking' or 'without'. Atheists just don't have a religious view on the world. Just because it can be considered the basic state of thinking, doesn't mean it should not have a label. Otherwise you are talking about 'theists' and 'people who are not theists', which doesn't sound as good.

Besides, there are a lot of people who 'believe' in something even without religion. So I'm not sure we can say not-believing is the most common state.

Also we do have words for people who believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy, and those who don't: Kids and Adults 😛

Exceptionally comfortable. I post nonstop, it seems, anything atheistic on Facebook; if my family hasn't figured it out yet, oh well.

I have been an Atheist for 58 years. Actually, back then, I called myself an Anti-Theist. On face book I have put my self out there as the American Anti-Theist. I remember the first time I actually used the term Anti-Theist, It was back in the mid 70's . I was working at a FDA research center and someone ask me what my religion was. When I told them I was an Anti-Theist they gave me a strange look. A couple of minutes later they looked at me and said " for a minute there I thought you were telling me you were an atheist!" When I explained what an Anti-Theist was they looked at me and said that's worse than being an atheist! To this day I still don't quite know how or what they meant.

i prefer to think of my self as non religous, but its not something i have to preach. iam far more concerned with the more important parts of my life

Personally, I’m not uncomfortable with it anymore, but other people are, so I usually say I’m agnostic. Hopefully, the religious folk won’t think I’m a devil worshipper ????

I prefer to describe myself as a Humanist. Call me chicken 🙂

ags2 Level 5 Dec 12, 2017

I have worn out the topic of "atheist". I refuse to comment on gods that do not exist, or have never existed- I am NOT an atheist. If I am going to waste time---- it's going to be on something that is pleasant- not profound foolishness.

I don't care if Donald Duck wears rubber boots when he is swimming, so that his feet will not get wet. And I feel that the discussion about gods is even more absurd than the foregone premise.

I like it!

I prefer non-theist. You have stated how I feel also.

Prefer it to christian.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.