Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Extremely, I have no qualms with what I am.

I have no problem being called an atheist but I don’t talk about my lack of religous beliefs around my religous friends.

I agree for the reasons you stated. Stating what you believe is enough without having to state what you don't believe in.

I like it. It’s clear and concise. Used correctly, it can save a lot of time having useless conversations, or open the door to some really interesting ones.

Anyone who tries to argue that calling yourself an atheist implies any belief system or world view and that atheist are just another "religion" explain the denotative latin roots -a-(without/absence)-theo- (god/diety) and because dogma and ritual can only find refuge in minds surrendered to "revield wisdom." Our title is a negation of cultural norms, the breaking those mind-forged manacles. We are individuals drawn together by that individuality, we are not compelled into action by fear or lies or threats, we act as our hearts and minds guide us.

Thats the best I got... Maybe a bit much in hindsight,
Oh well

Certainly atheism is not a religion. But, absolutely it is a world view. It is a world view in which we live in a natural world, a world driven by cause and effect. It is a world view that is unimpeded by the falsities of religions. An atheist well knows that life ends with the last beat of the heart and the last exhalation of breath. Life is the ultimate gift, treasure it as long as you have it. Honor thy mother and thy father, for they gave you life.

A friend and I were just talking about this. A new neighbor mentioned she was Episcopalian. I did not respond with "I am Agnostic" why the fear of admitting that was something I thought about. I guess I feel judged, like "oh she must be a BAD person" Or even being shunned by my neighbors. It should not be this way, they are not ashamed to tell me they believe in a fairy tale.

I do not call myself Atheist, I do not call myself believer, it is hard to believe what I cannot see, yet I HOPE some day to see people that have gone before me

You're right, should just be a normal thing.

I've been an American Atheist for 42 years.

Not entirely sure

I wish it were illegal to teach religion until after a person receives a good education in the fundamentals of science and philosophy, and has sufficiently studied the history of his or her civilization and society. Of course, such a mandate would render the idea of deities, and therefore religions, utterly ridiculous, relegating them to the realm of pure fantasy.

I don't really like call myself atheist but it's the closest word we can describe ourselves.

I prefer "strong atheist". I believe there can't possibly be a God that created such a screwy world. Intelligent design, my ass. I'm a retired biology teacher. Would you create a world with over 30% of all life parasites?

We don't have a word for the non-belief in Santa Claus because the Santa believers never burnt us at the stake.

Atheos was coined by believers in Greece.

I am happy to carry the word, in the way Colonists became proud to be Yankees. I am without gods. I am without a belief in god. The word is perfectly what I am.

I have etymology as a hobby. How about "heretic" as in used in the Inquisition. It stems from the Latin word for "other". They're burn you at the stake just for believing something other than their crazy ideology.

I'm comfortable with it. I only really use it when the topic of religion comes up.
That's one of the big differences between theist and atheist; no real impact on your life.

Privately, I consider myself a natural person. I don't care what arguments the apologists resort to; believing in cherry-picked, self-serving supernatural forces without evidence is not healthy.

I sm very happy with athiest

My mom (of all people) told me that I come off as "harsh" when telling people that I am an Atheist. She suggested that I tell people that I am "spiritual" instead. That bothers me as the religious right loves to waive religion everywhere.

I don't go out advertising that I am Atheist... And there might be certain settings where I avoid this conversation entirely. (I work in sales so I need to be careful.)

But I admit to a deep satisfaction at times watching people's reaction to my response that I am an Atheist... Or that I am not a Christian.

Never thought in a million years I would ever be an atheist... Once I realized I no longer believed I was in shock and it took me 3 months before I could get the words "I'm an atheist" to come out of my mouth... Now I am a proud atheist and never happier.

The word "atheist" fits me like a favorite pair of jeans that are washed and broken in and feel soft and comfy against my skin and make my ass look great.

My granny used ot say I odnt care what they call me as long as it s "not too late for my dinner" she was funny I am pretty sure she never ahd a god as she never mentioned one - I never had one either as no one introduced me to one.

I'm very comfortable with the word, but tend to use the entire phrase "I'm not really religious" when meeting new people.

That is the point, believe is a basic human characteristic, we believe in promises, , laws , some science that we do not complete understand. Of course all those stuff we have degrees of certainty and they don't need faith.
But basically any abstract construct needs a belief for it to work and have a function in society.
The word could be skeptic, agnostic.
Atheist is a position of believe anyway, a lot more probable than the theism, but fundamentally a belief.
A neutral position would be agnostic, or to refuse to answer a question that can be only answered with belief.
But if you want a word that is not a negative and that is a concept and not a negative, the word would be skeptic, humanist, naturalist, scientificist, gnosticist (the one that look to know and not to believe).

my granny always used to say you can call me anyhting you like "as long as its not, too late for my dinner!

OK. The way I hear it "a" means without. I am aclausist. I am also afairyist. OK, let's go the whole step. I'm also aeasterbunnnyist.
I have no problem with the atheist word except for the eating children part. I like mine with mustard. 🙂

My usual response if someone is that i prefer be called "Tim." If they keep pushing a label on me I'll start spouting off about the difference between atheism and LaVeyan Satanism and luciferianism until they run away.

TimD Level 3 Sep 2, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.