Agnostic.com

60 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wheres the signup sheet??? Lol

So you admit that your god is not omnipotent, Mr. Barr?

Good come back.

Huh. Where do we go to pick up our guns? Not sure I can be so militant without a gun or two... Or should I just settle for a pair of combat boots?

@motrubl4u Nope. I personally don't own guns, but I know at least a few who do. And they are pretty armed to the teeth, and they are all very proficient. I am beginning to think that I might be the ONLY liberal atheist in the country who doesn't own guns....

@motrubl4u Another nope! 🙂

@motrubl4u trust me...your not the only one locked and loaded...

@motrubl4u
You are not the only one homie. 🔫

I understand but guns and me are not going to mingle. As an atheist, I still hold an energy or sort of all is well. It is my mindset and if I am asked to defend myself , I will , but I hope never to see guns in the streets. But you present a good debate, if they, the right wing, marches against us with weapons, it has to be on or we surrender. This is where I go to my twilight zone and relish in it.

I, for one, am NOT militant. I will talk to anyone who will listen to facts and evidence, but I do not do so with a gun to anyone's head. 🙂

The issue appears to be that their minds are already made up, and giving them facts and reasons merely confuses them.

@anglophone Yes. It is difficult to reason with people of faith, because they see reason, science, facts and evidence as evil. 😟

@anglophone That's known as the backfire effect. The more facts and reasoning you bring to the table the more they cling to their treasured beliefs. Some people do come around and that gives me hope, although it isn't happening fast enough. The Atheist Experience has shown me that it can happen. Anthony Magnabosco is a good one to watch for ideas on how to talk with people about their beliefs. He practices street epistemology, and he has a patient non-threatening way that I like to watch.

@RhondaShotwell I had forgotten about the backfire effect. Thanks for reminding me. 🙂

As usual, Barr has the facts backwards. The religionists are always trying to attack the non religious because we have truth on our side. The Theists are seeped in the phony supernatural. We are realists.

If one does not know of Barr's deep ties to the church, his blathering might surprise, but he is in deeply!

He does not hide it. None of this is hidden. There is no Deep State, except for religion. And their plans are not hidden in any kind of 'deep state". Right in front of us. It's startling when people think there is some "secret plan". Nothing secret about any of it

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what method one uses to "drive out religion" from government (short of violence), just do it and get it done.

What a fucking hypocrite he is.
Although, I can't say I'm even a little surprised.

He should keep quiet about it because he's spoiling the surprise.

This just gets crazier every day. This movie does not end well.

Some days it just seems like it will not end well. That is just some days though. I think overall it will get better.

Barr should be more concerned with the rise of the militant right.
[warontherocks.com]

“The problem today is not that religious people are trying to impose their views on nonreligious people,” Barr told Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York and his co-host, the Rev. Dave Dwyer of the Community of St. Paul. “It’s the opposite–it’s that militant secularists are trying to impose their values on religious people, and they’re not accommodating the freedom of religion of people of faith.”
“We believe in the separation of church and state,” he said, “but what permits a limited government and minimal command and control of the population, and allows people to have freedom of choice in their lives and trust in the people, is the fact that they are a people that are capable of disciplining themselves according to moral values.”

SO he says non religious people are by default immoral or less moral and that without religion Government cannot function.
AND, as MILITANT IMMORAL NONBELIEVERS we are FORCING the religious people to accept secular values.
AND we are so undisciplined as to be unable to live by a moral standard.

THAT is labeling us all as dangerous, by the Chief prosecutor in the land.

Many Christians accept proselytizing to be a sacred duty. Consequently, our refusal to succumb is interpreted by the AG as "trying to impose our values on religious people".

The Attorney General cannot properly be accused of using his brain.

WTF??? What an ignorant bastard!!! Unless he considers the JW a non-religious group... (never mind the sarcasm)

Ah! But Barr is a devout, fundamental Christian, and early Christians welcomed ostracisation and martyrdom. In fact, many actively sought it!

Barr is catholic, not fundamentalist christian.

@KKGator But much the same concept. The Catholic church, given half a chance, grabs power. Witness Spain under Franco.
What's more, Catholics date from an earlier Christian breakaway sect than fundamentalists.

@Petter Oh, the catholics are the original gangsters, no doubt.
They've got the worldwide thing happening.
In this country though, they have to "share power" with the evangelical assholes.

@KKGator How frustrating for them!

@Petter Ikr!?

Actually Barr self-identifies as Catholic.

Pitch forks and torches

One more example of evangelical influence in the government, thesist attempts to make us a secular state but their kind of secular ideas

More dumbing down comments meant for those already so dumb they are numb.

He has seen all the religious people in the news that have committed crimes? Surely he has a congregation and some of them have made mistakes in life?
Seems bizarre that with those facts in hand he would point immorality/ the need for law and government at the people that aren’t religious. It’s obviously just sensationalism/ demonisation.
We care what this man thinks why?

You have to scare the people to keep them in line.

Of course he goes so far to imply that people can't have morals without being religious. So that's how his implication that religion should be tied into government doesn't conflict with the whole you know, separation of Church and State, that's also in our Constitution. Yeah, he's so biased and full of it.

Not the brightest bulb in the lamp.

More like a bulb in a field of tulips!

...and armed with a brain.

He means groups are banding together to oust Trump in the coming Fascist Wars. Using religion as an excuse.

Even if (and that is a big if) you accept the premise that the US constitution allowed minimum govt because it took religious social control as read.? That was then and this is now. The free market of ideas gives citizens the right to choose whether or not to follow these norms. We live in a more mobile, less rigid society. Automatic adherence can no longer be taken for granted. Education and the internet leave everyone with more choices.
If secularism is a natural result of greater knowledge? Then it is a futile effort to stem the flow. You might as well try and uninvent the model-T.
The US model is built on unspoken religious control? Religious control is waning. We cannot/should not impose religion on the populace. Therefore, in the absence of this control, then govt must step in. Ergo we need to take away your guns.

@TheMiddleWay The whole premise of Barr is flawed anyway. It presupposes that the USA law is still the wide-open country of Lewis and Clark. Yes, you have lax gun laws but other than that it is incredibly litigious and authoritarian. You cannot smoke on a NY street and many public parks, cannot gamble online anywhere or irl in most states, have very strict TV censoring regarding sex/nudity/foul language, have the highest prison population in the 1st world, and the only one that sanctions capital punishment. Not exactly a population that is trusted to do the right thing with minium state control.
If religion worked as an efficient check, then the USA would have less crime than secular nations, not more.

@TheMiddleWay But it is fair to compare countries with similar incomes. Ethiopia with Malawi or The UK with the USA.

@TheMiddleWay Okay USA and Australia. Similar incomes, the population of immigrants, age of the country, plus endless miles of bugger all.
IF? Religion is a good method of social control then the USA should be far safer than Australia. Its influence would trump (pardon the pun) any other factors

@TheMiddleWay Population density (people per sq. km) in the United States was reported at 35.77 sq.
You are not going to get an exact match but taken against a broad spectrum of 1st world historically western democracies. From Ireland to N.Z., the Czech Republic to Canada, all with varying population densities and incomes some higher or lower but all with a lower religious population and crime rate. Add to that the USAs religious belief has been historically much higher, it is falling now as is, funnily enough, the crime rate.
Now if a religious belief was a significant positive force in social control? We would see some evidence, when in fact we see the opposite.

The way I see it is if you have some 17-year-old guy and you give him a set of nearly impossible rules then he is going to fail. If stealing a car and having a wank is both wrong then he has already guilty of a gateway sin and the car is just another one.
Then you have those that lose their faith. If religion was all that kept you from bad choices then without it you are morally in the wild west.
To make the case for Christianity as an effective means of social control is as I have demonstrated dubious at best and fallacious at worst.
It is also been philosophically condemned on both sides. Bertrand Russell said you can make the same case for Santa and it is also condemned as heresy by the Catholic church.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:456265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.