Agnostic.com

24 36

LINK Opinion | One nation ‘under God’? More and more Americans don’t think so. - The Washington Post

In the United States, one of the most consequential cultural changes of our time may be the swift and seemingly accelerating decline of religious commitment.

Historically, Americans have recorded relatively high levels of worship-service attendance and belief in God, as compared with their peers in advanced industrial societies such as Europe or Japan. The U.S. example seemed to show that faith could survive in an environment dominated by science and technology.

A forthcoming book by University of Michigan political scientist Ronald F. Inglehart, however, suggests that the United States is now rapidly catching up with the trend toward secularization elsewhere.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is all McCarthyism. It started with the red scare and blacklists of the 50s. Godless Communism. They added "Under God" to show that America is a God country while Communist USSR was Godless State! To me In God We Trust and Under God are unconstitutional.

It is to the rest of us also.

Don't forget the huge financial contribution from the Knights of Columbus, the catholic faternal order.

@glennlab What does that have to do with "Under God" being added to the pledge? Knights of Columbus? They have Italians down in Texas? Is that like a Spaghetti Western?

@barjoe The knights are the men's organization of the Roman catholic church, in the 1950s they were very active. They are in commemoratrion of the "Saint" that "discovered" America, they have nothing to do with Italians. They were the catholic answer to the fraternal orders that banned catholics. google it.

@glennlab Here in Philly, they're all Paisans. I'm not a fan either, they're all pro-life Catholic stuff. And Columbus was a murderer and a slave trader. I'm not a fan of religious organizations in general. I'm okay with St Jude's but that the only faith based I'd donate to unless a neighbor kid was selling some candy. Catholics were never discriminated up here in my lifetime but I'm sure those Bible belts hate them as much as they do the Jews.

@glennlab Nah, it was Eisenhower, to distinguish us from the "Godless" USSR.

God needs to be removed from the pledge of allegence, money, and swearing on the bible in court.

Swearing to tell the truth with one's hand on a Big Book of Lies strikes me as absurd.

I haven't seen a bible used in court except on TV.

@anglophone that seldom happens anywhere anymore & you are free to ask for the Quaran,or any such book, or simply state to swear to "tell the truth", period.

@AnneWimsey Thank you for updating me. 🙂

At least in Minnesota you no longer have to swear on the bible or any other "holy" book.

For people that do think, I would think that Trump's immorality and Jerry Falwell Jr.'s indiscretion don't help the "god" cause.

gearl Level 8 Aug 25, 2020

Don't forget the child molestation scandal of the Catholic church!

When I say the Pledge of Allegiance, I leave out the words "under god." I end up finishing the pledge a couple of words before everyone else, but that's Okay. 🙂

Me too. If I was a millennial young kid, I would take a knee. Just to be a nonconformist.

It was inserted when i was in 4th (+/-?) grade...I remember the unhappy vibe of many of the teachers, (people back then took seriously Separation of church & state!)and having to learn a different cadence when reciting it.

Indeed! I've got a rather resonating voice, and once at a town hall meeting, as we were pledging allegiance, I omitted those words and it was loudly apparent. There must have been half a dozen or more men (specifically) who turned and gave me the evil eye. I just smiled as my wife did her best to become invisible.

@BestWithoutGod

Me, too. Singing hymns at the Unitarian Church, I skip the word, "God."

@LiterateHiker If there were a U.U. church nearby, I would attend regularly. I just don't want to drive 50 miles for it. 🙂

I refuse to stand for the pledge because of the god thing. Rude I know.

When was the last time you said the pledge??

@JeffMurray For me, it's been a few years. I was at some kind of event with family and friends. I don't recall exactly what it was. A niece's graduation, maybe.

@JeffMurray for me a few years after I became an atheists. So a long time ago.

@BestWithoutGods I literally cannot remember the last time I said it. I honestly think it was in grade school well over 25 years ago. By junior high, they made you stand but it was policy that you weren't required to put your hand in your heart or say anything. I just don't understand the point of that nationalistic bullshit.

Pres. Eisenhower threw that in in order to more clearly separate us from the unbelieving USSR, and it's been a pain in the ass ever since.

I think I was in fourth grade when it was inserted, maybe '54.

I stopped saying those things in Jr. High during the war in Vietnam. Still not saying them.

It time to say goodbye to 1954 !

Dougy Level 7 Aug 25, 2020

It totally is, and to the older generation Christians it feels like America's moral decline. But we know secularization is better for humanity in the long run.

GOD I hope so. I'm stuck in fundie hell here!

June 14th 1954 another day that will live in infamy that's when they added under god, the bastards 🤬 they killed Kenny. 🤔😁

Most time I do not even say it but when I do I replace "under god" with "under the constitution".

You know the conservatives consider our lack of belief to be a conspiracy of some kind right?
I mean you could cut the stupid with a knife.

If that were true I'd take a riding mower to it ! >:^>

@Dougy Where do I get one?

That lack of belief is thought of as a conspiracy is stupidity to a stupendous degree. Again, I invoke George Carlin, What are you? FXXXin stupid

Wonderful news! Thanks for posting this article.

What God are you talking about? Didn't the First Nations have a God before the invasion of the Europeans? However, the trend does seem to be leaning towards secularization (social democracy).

Having just, yesterday, finished reading "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee," I can tell you that the Native American tribes, hundreds of them had their gods, and spirits, many of them , but no such thing a A god.

@BirdMan1 What a good book. However the indigenous peoples of NA did have a concept of the Great Spirit or an all powerful force that governed the natural events of their world.

Isn't Islam growing faster than Christianity in the U.S. such that it will surpass Christians in 50 years?

So people might be pushing for One nation under Allah. And In Allah we Trust on the currency.

Oooohhhhh, I'm scared....you too, I see!

"Allah" means god in Arabic so......

@Mooolah And it's the same Abrahamic god, just with a new prophet, essentially.

Yep. I think we have may to thank the internet social media for this. Youtube, facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr are now in the hands of young people in very small town and they get an early education of the reality of life that contradicts pretty much anything the church throws at them. Heck, I see this very forum helping create and support the atheist and agnostic community world wide.

There must be so many examples of this, that the true numbers must unexpectedly huge. Think of the rise of atheists videos on youtube in the early 2010s. Goodness for a while there it was cute cat and atheist videos. And there are so many "deconversion" or "I no longer believe" videos. People citing natures videos, science classes, and prominent atheist debates. No direct arguments with anyone.

But apparently Twitter arguments can help someone deconvert: In a Joe Rogan podcast, the daugther of the founder of the westboro baptist church, says she became a nonbeliever (and found her husband!) through arguments from defending her faith on Twitter.

But all this happened in the 2010s. Sadly I think the pandemic may create more converts. Desperation and fear breeds more religious people praying for safety and oppourtunity.

I think you are wrong in the assumption that the pandemic will create more converts. In fact, I think it may well accelerate the move towards secularism.
This comes down to the alt-right Christian fundamentalists. Ordinary Americans will look at them refusing to wear masks, insisting on large non-social distancing church gatherings and generally being a pain in the ass when it comes to getting rid of this. Plus there is their full-on support of 45 which will not go down well when he is out of office and ALL the dirty dealings come out.
I do appreciate that not all Christians are evangelicals but they do makeup 26% of the US and are by far the most vocal. So it will be they who are judged when people look back on this not the science-based secularists

Sadly, what may be happening is that the pandemic, and the anxiety it is creating is fueling the QAnon fools.

I hope the trend continues with secularization, one nation under freethought, more appropriately

You're talking about a nation of people who voted against their own interest in great enough numbers to elect Donald Trump. We will likely never again be a nation under freedom or thought.

@K9Kohle789 But, 60 some million did vote for the asshole!
I'm hoping along with mI58n2.

@K9Kohle789 @Birdman1 is right. 63 million people voted for that pile of shit. And even though some of them were for greedy reasons, it was still against their own interests if his presidency results in the destruction of our democracy (which it already has).

@JeffMurray he is destroying the ecosystem that keeps all mammals and other creatures alive. So this is a life and death election. A vote for donnie boy is a vote to accelerate your own death. Remember Trump digs coal. WE should make him eat coal dust .

@Healthydoc70 Absolutely. By no means was I suggesting that democracy was the only thing that he has irreparably harmed. He is the worst pile of shit that has ever held that office.

@JeffMurray I got you Jeff. I understood what you meant. We are of the same mind.

Eisenhower passed in 1953 the law adding "under god" to the pledge of allegiance which had been recited during flag day for decades sans that attachment. [historynet.com]

hopeful...

"Under God ," was not originally in the Pledge of Alligence , but was added , I believe , during the 50's . Since freedom of religion is a part of your Constitution , than freedom from religion should like wise be accepted , and in my opinion that phrase should not have been added to the Pledge .

It seems to be a natural progression with the number of gods as the society grows and learns. First there was so many gods, basically everything had its own god. Then the gods seem to combine powers so there were fewer gods, I am sure there was problems back then going from thousands of gods down to just hundreds...lol Right now we are at the time that were most of the different religions just have one god and they are even losing it (just not fast enough for me but at least it is going in the right direction). But something to think about, on a global scale, would be the few current religions with multiple gods. Are they going to drop their beliefs also or are they going to wean off religion by going to a single god religion first?...lol

"Glob is on our side."

Maybe if everybody had the same god.

and a god that actually existed.

I have gotten more reactions & comments from that Washington Post article about the DNC leaving out the under god clause in the pledge , than anything else I've never posted . One post has well over 300 likes & responses , even though it was later found to be not true ! I told them people post Onions all the time , so I'm leaving it up lol !

Dougy Level 7 Aug 25, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527910
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.