Agnostic.com

36 15

How do you answer "Have a blessed day"?

This makes me feel like I've been sprayed with God cologne against my will. "Get it off me!" I always want to scream. "Before I start wearing long skirts and collared shirts."

As a airline traveler, you'll likely be met at your destination by someone who asks, "So, how was your flight?"

As if there are interesting variations and you might answer, "The live orchestra was a nice touch," or "The first half was great, but then they let a baby take over the controls and it got all bumpy."

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am always polite, I respond have a good day thank you

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 11, 2021

I’m with you. I say “have a good one”. I don’t consider it a big deal.

@Stephen1364 Yes most are well meaning

Words and phrases aren't really important, but the thought behind them!
ppl and Animals show their kindness with their own language, it doesn't matter what they say; Hello, Hola, Shalom, سلام or Licking your hands and face... it simply means their regards and kindness, so respond it politely and be happy.
don't forget, we accuse religions of the lack of Tolerance and 2-side understanding!

Diaco Level 7 Nov 11, 2021

Totally true!! Just like I have friends and family who are Republicans. There’s no problem with moderates on both sides…….it’s the extremists that are the real problem.

I do the "you too" answer. One older woman who works at the grocery says this every time but, I start the conversation by saying hi first to her every time when I see her. I really have no problem what others want to think unless they go out of their way to try and "recruit" me and I have never had that happen.

"You too ! "

While I hear what you're saying about the God Cologne, the correct answer to give might be : "What do you mean by blessed? Could you explain the word blessed for me?"

And who wants to get that ball rolling?

twill Level 7 Nov 11, 2021

There are words and there are intentions, sometimes you just need to sort through the wheat and the chaff

My thoughts. If it is just that person's in passing way of saying "have a good day," I say "thanks, and you have a good day as well." If they are trying to sell me my religious crap, I say no thanks.

@Beowulfsfriend exactly

If you're an atheist or an ignostic, they're just meaningless social ritual words. If meant politely, answer in any polite fashion you please. "You too!" works well.

'Reason and logic be in your mind.'
'Live long and prosper.'
'Yes, blessed with the freedom from non-existent gods and myths'.
These are a few I use.

I say, "Thanks, you have a good day too."
Ha! Nailed it.
You're being polite and gracious, while rebuffing their religio-speak at the same time.

I say "thanks, you too". It is only words, no big deal.

Thanks, fucker?

Nah, I will just be polite and tell them to have a nice day.

I just say, thank you, you too.

"Back atchya, have a good day."
No harm no foul. 😉

Fortunately we don't have that problem over here. All you will hear is "have a nice day"

I get something like this many times a day, I work customer service for a large financial organization. I usually answer with "Thanks, stay safe out there." And then I d/c the call because I'm trying to keep my call time down and hoping for a nice breather between calls.

“You, too.”

If someone says “god bless you”, I usually ask which one? And if they say “have a blessed day” I just smile and move on as it’s usually someone at a business who thinks it’s a nice thing to say.

Thank you ... have a great day.

Usually w a smile and a nod +/- a "you too!". I've learned to respod to the kind intent, rather than the literal phrase.

Zster Level 8 Nov 11, 2021

I'm a "You too" sort of guy.

"Under his eye"......and then laugh hysterically. 😉

Most of the time with a have a great day. Other times I smile and nod.

Mostly I just nod and move on. One time I remember because I am a smart ass, I said, 'what kind of day do you think I'm having?!?! There's 2 bags of potato chips in my cart instead of one!' I laughed and left.
Thing is that phrase never use to grate at me and for the most part it still does not until the times it does feel like your description - god cologne splashed at me.

It depends on what I want/need from them.

If I expect something from them I just acknowledge that I heard it and go on -- sort of 'you too' or something.

If all else is the same to me, I say 'No. I'll pass. Thanks.' Maybe they'll think a little without getting defensive. I'll explain if they ask.

That saying irks me to death. Whether it is said as a "blessed" day or a "bless-sed" day it still gets me. My thoughts are "who are you to tell me what kind of day to have." My upset is because it is used as a religious phrase of course. I don't want anything to do with your religion. If I tell you that I am considered hostile. My answer is usually just a "you too." I don't mean this but I do not want to wish them ill or anything. Now, going back in time on this, I had the same problems when others started wishing me a "good day." Yes, "have a good day." WTF are you to tell me that?

Like Moravian, I am fortunate in that, I have never heard it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:633259
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.