Agnostic.com

213 30

QUESTION What would you say to God if when you died you were faced with him?

This question was asked to Stephen Fry and I love his answer. So I ask you what would you say?

• Click description above to see Stephen Fry's answer*

To answer my own question I suppose I would be more logical and tell God it was his fault I did not believe in him because if he created me then he knows I would not blindly follow anything that reads like a fairytale or where there was no proof of existence.

DiablitaRoja 4 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

213 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Which one?

And why are you using a male pronoun?

Let me guess.

You also see him as "White" and "Gentile"

On edit - Fry's answer was excellent. I have answered very similar to that when some evangelic type keeps pushing the issue because they think they are going to cause me to have a "come to Jesus moment."

That type of answer will generally shut them down. .

C'moooooonnnnnnnn people..............focus. Okay -- say it's an Asian female god. 🙂

You die. What do you say to her?

I am Latina and an Atheist so my God would be Frida Kahlo if I could chose. But honestly when written I was not thinking about the pronoun it was more about the question itself. So the God of your choosing , race and gender of your choosing.

It depends... which god?

Any God 🙂

"You suck at this"

I agree

your replacement has arrived.

Well played

I would say "so your that bastard that's responsibile for all the crap that is going in this world"?

RonB Level 5 Apr 24, 2018

You got some s'plaining to do.

Well I'll be damned.

This one made me laugh. 🙂

I would ask him why he allows so much needless suffering to be focused on people that don't deserve it and allows so many horrible people to experience success and have influence.

I was listening to some youngsters at a "Meeting" once. They were going on and on about the same topic. And how that's why they don't believe. came my turn to "share". You gotta know I will share some shit! I said; "Imagine for a moment you are GOD. You would be supremely intelligent and have ALL information for your decisions. It would follow that you would always know the right thing to do, and be too smart not to do that. Perhaps He(She, It, whatever) so loves us that he gave us the one thing that even He doesn't have; Free Will.
Further, consider eternity. You have a child, you love them more than anything. They mash their finger in the chain on a swingset. You know how terrible the pain is, and you hate that your beloved child is going through that. However, it's a passing thing and not that big of a deal. Imagine one who was born into the worst painful and degrading life ever. And they lived it for A HUNDRED YEARS! Given the postulate of life eternal, you'd have to think GOD hates all of the strife and injustice, but it's really not that big of a deal in the long run". As I watched their faces dealing with new concepts, (My favorite hobby, by the way), I said, "And I don't even buy that supernatural shit!". But your logic is flawed. If you don't believe in "Magic" do it for sound reasons, don't just "Whistle in the dark" hoping you are right because you think you have fucked up and are hoping for a loophole.

Can't beat Stephen Fry's response. Some good additions here already, though.

Me? I'd ask him why, when a man rapes his 12 year old daughter, he sometimes pushes that big old 'make a baby' button of his. If he has the power over conception, and every new life is his will and blessing, why does he burden any 12 year old with that? Especially one that's been a victim of their own parent.

Indeed, why does he press that button for people who can't afford to raise their children or won't care for them, and staunchly refuse to press it for well off couples who would dote on their child?

Anyone would think that he just stabbed at that button at random. Or that he and the button didn't exist in the first place.

“What the fuck!? You’re fired!”

"Beg humanity for forgiveness."

In my defense, I was skeptical and really high and severely unloved. Also, what's up with my being transgender? Did you like, make a mistake or something? It's ok, I forgive you I guess.

I don't think being skeptical is a bad thing at all.

@alxa it's not in general, but in the hypothetical situation prompted here, would prevent one from blindly believing in such a deity.

I would ask "Why did you allow SO much suffering, especially to innocent children who were abused or starved to death?"

"I've always done my best to be kind to other people within my limited means; what's your excuse you egotistical, all powerful bastard?"

Kimba Level 7 Apr 24, 2018

I would ask, why is everyone I know more moral than you.
Everyone I know would stop murder, rape, assault, famine, why won't you?

If I had only one question?
Why must there be suffering? How does it serve anyone or anything? Why do you allow it to continue.
And if he gives me the freewill dodge I would punch him in the face.

I would say"Oops...my bad... you've done a pretty horrific job at this... would you like some help? And some wine?

Damn! This acid is GOOD!

Pretty lousy job you're doing.

Him???? I plan to be dead when I have died. None o this magical thinking . I reserve my magical thinking for elves, fairies and dragons. This gives me a chance to post my favorite quote:
“Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”

Gang rape? Why'd ya think that was a good idea? The bystander effect? Children with cancer? Anybody with cancer for that matter? The elections of 2000 and 2016. Dead 6 million Jews. Why? People spending their entire lives in prison for crimes they did not do. Shame on you.

Depends which god I suppose.

i don't think it depends in which god, just think of it all of them promise a paradise the wonder place, is this a game?

Pick one and give it a shot. Let's say, for shits and giggles, you meet the late J.C. -- or his dad. What do you say?

Where the hell have you been?

Id tell him he should be on his knees apologizing to everyone he killed with a natural disaster or by terminal illnesses or something like starvation.

Or her?

KenG Level 6 Apr 24, 2018

I wouldn't say much of anything. I don't interact with terrorists.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.