Agnostic.com

17 36

These 10 "non-commandments" seem reasonable to me. How about you?

Does anyone know what CZA is? A FB friend reposted this meme without any explanation for its origins. I asked her, but she didn't reply, so I'm guessing she doesn't know who made this list either.

Julie808 8 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I wonder what something stands for, like CZA, I type a search "What is CZA"

There are evidently several answers.

I tried to copy and past a link with several answers, but sometimes this sit won't accept the paste into the answer field.

I did search in various ways to try to learn what the CZA might mean in the corner of the meme. Nothing I turned up made sense to me. So many people share memes and the origin gets lost. I did see variations of this list on a link posted by another commenter, below. It looks to be a work in progress, with no one person wanting or needing to be credited (or blamed as some would have it.)

There are many, Many, MANY attempts to do this kind thing in various guises . Each one is an author attempting to be a king, King, KING. What is wrong with it this the title. Commands do not fit in with Human nature and should only be used in exceptional case e.g the military.
Otherwise what humans want is INFORMATION and a reason to act upon it. Most pieces of information require no action. Generate an emotion though, and you also get action not necessarily beneficial.

I agree "command" is a bit strong. So, how does "non" change it for you?

Good list. Though I would add the word "Try" to the start of ten, and possibly eight as well.
Number five is a bit specific to someone living in a theist culture, and not therefore a general principle as such.

Yep, "try" would be a good addition to those guideline points.

Cat Zip Alliance?

Doesn't number nine kind of contradict the list?

Tejas Level 8 Apr 28, 2022

I think the site lost part of your comment. The number. It is best to spell numbers out on this site, it has that annoying quirk.

Finally figured out you must mean number "nine" as yes, that could be seen as a contradiction, but these are not commandments, but someone's suggestions for what it might take to live a good life.

@Fernapple yeah it's been doing that lately

I approve this message. I don't know who wrote it but it gets two thumbs up from me. 😎👍👍

Love the list but I feel powerless over X.

You see some trash on the hiking trail, you pick it up. You see how you can reduce your carbon footprint a little (or a lot), you effect the change. Little things add up. 🙂

@Flyingsaucesir I know. I try. Just feels futile. But thanks for the little kick in the butt😃

@KevinMR It may very well be futile, but I would rather go down swinging. And who knows, maybe the human race gets its act together before it's too late, and you and I had a little part in making it happen.

Possibly “Central Zionist Archives”?! 🤨

After reading some of the other guesses, I sure the hell hope I’m right…..😎

Circumcised Zebra Association

Yes, thanks, I did search for various acronyms but didn't seen any that made sense to me. I just like to know what organization might have come up with this list of suggested behavior. I'm still puzzled by CZA.

That's a nice list.
It'll probably receive as much credence as those silly commandments.

I'm really not a fan of other people making to-do lists for everyone else.

I don't know anything about this list. It could just be someone's personal list for behavior guidelines.

@Julie808 That's cool. Didn't think you'd made it. I meant no criticism toward you.

My point is that I think it's effed up that we (humans) need lists to tell us not to be assholes. You know, because so many people are assholes.

@KKGator Yeah, but I think lots of us contemplate what it means to be a good person, if not to remind ourselves, but also to convey to others who might judge us sideways just on the fact we don't believe in a God. I remember making a list of principles when my kids were young - not so much for them or for me - but to share with a neighbor who was giving us grief because we didn't go to church.

Looks like it was a crowdsourcing competition:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Ah! Thanks!

Collective of Za Appreciation
Community of Zebra Adorers
Culture of Zany Acrobats

The right way to live is what works for you. It needs to be said that treating everyone the way you would like to be treated helps with this. I do not hate anyone. Well, maybe. I think I hate that junk man who stole an item from my yard that was not junk. It just happened today.

CZA takes me to a rap page.

I like #5 the best.

Too many think they need a god to be a good person. I don't worry about being a good person.

@DenoPenno You don't think being a good person is important?

@LovinLarge I did not say that. The :good person: argument is a known religious argument.

@DenoPenno I was merely trying to clarify. I thought you may have meant that being a good person comes naturally to you so you don't have to worry about it.

Being a good person doesn't necessarily have anything to do with God, just like #5 says.

@DenoPenno I do care about being a good person, but I don't need religion or the approval of the majority to do it. I base my standards on honesty, ethics and morals, not on religious requirements or what they ordain...

Sounds like a great set of principles to me..

who lives up to this?

You can only try to live up to it and work on improving yourself each and every day that you can. We are human and we are going to fall short time and time again. It is the effort to follow it. Rather than rules I like the idea of ideals.

I think they are suggestions to strive for. So those who agree with them can try to live up to them. I think we all TRY to live up to our own ideals for living a good life and treating others well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:663098
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.