Agnostic.com

371 37

are you afraid of death?

being atheist or agnostic we know that chriatainality and angels and demons gods and devils and most likely an afterlife are all just wishful thinking. seeing as we know that death is indeed the end for us does that idea frightend you ? what are your thoughts on death ? personaly i gotta admitt it scares me . i know there is nothing i can do to avoid it . im so sad when a relative dies knowing ill never see them again. and this is why i think so many people wanna believe in a god and heaven. we want so badly to believe us and our loved ones will live on that many do so just to comfort themselfs. your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

371 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Terrified.

I love that I exist, if I had one wish it would be to be indestructibly forever 20-ish immortal, or at least exist as pure energy/thought.

I am certain that when I die I will cease to exist. I have accepted this, but it is still the greatest source of my anxieties because of the fear it instills in me. I try to grasp and conceptualize this void of non-existence, because through understanding I believe I can overcome the fear. In other circles I incorporate this fear into my identity to obtain some sense of owning it, nihilistic in a way but I become the void.

I actually don't think we die, the body simply rots and returns to the earth dimension. The spark, the energy that is me goes out to the universe, a dimension we on earth know nothing of. I am not fearful of death, it will happen. I don't want some lingering crap where I become a burden on everyone. I'd opt out for sure.

Actually the reason I love being an atheist is that knowing that once you die that's the end. So it really makes everyday more important. It like they say, everyday is a gift that's why they call it the present.

I don't fear death at all, ijust the process.

alon Level 6 Mar 26, 2019

No. But I'm afraid of the suffering before death. Hope I'll be able to die whenever I choose.

zesty Level 7 Feb 27, 2019

I fear pain. I fear going before I'm ready. I don't have any fear of being dead. I worry about the hassle and heartache my death might create for loved ones.

Deb57 Level 8 Jan 22, 2019

I am sacred too mostly because I won't see my friends or family again . I am also very scared on how am I going to die will be quick and painless or long and painful no one knows .

I'm not afraid of death, I don't want to die, I just never wanted to exist. I want to make the most of this life, to be with that one special person. Visit thise truly amazing places. I don't feel the need to be the best or to compete but I want to acconpolish somthing worth doing, so my fear is ill die without doing anything worth doing,

Nope, that's why i am openly an atheist.

I'm not afraid of death though I reflex on my life and think of how much of it I wasted then wish I would of had a better way to inform myself about how little we have... Wish I had 200 to 300 years to experience it fully and a natural instinct to embrace it!!

I guess you could say I'm more afraid of how I will die. How painful it will be. Some people linger on in nursing homes for years in pain. That bothers me. Being murdered also bothers me. I have recurring dreams of dying in a car accident. Even how I exactly die. I do get nervous driving in heavy traffic, but I get by. Then death itself doesn't bother me. My hope is that death is an awakening into nothingness. A void of what ever the universe is. My being is no more. My sadness from my death would be that of leaving some friends. They'll get by. They have to. Such is life. Dealing with others dying.

I'm not afraid of death, just of the dying progress, though I don't want to die just yet, but when I die I can have no regrets.

First of all, what is death? Then we can think about being afraid of it or not.

Death is not being allive. A fire only comes alive when it is lit, untill then it is dead. When the fire goes out it is back to being dead.

Watch a chicken running about. That is life. Chop off its head. Whatch for a while. That is death.

Yes

When we die-Done, No Pain, Just over. Yes scary for most.
Do I KNOW this, No. Those who say they absolutely KNOW, I ask how do you know?

We know the dead have no good comunication skills.

Life is part of a cycle,i choose to be present
to the possibilities that living in the moment
afford.Without the fear(can we know how
we are to go?) falseness of focusing on
afterlife.

I'm not afraid if death at all; I am a bit nervous about dying. I've seen people die almost instantly, and I've seen people die slow horrible deaths (pancreatic cancer). I do not want to die slowly & painfully. ?

After I'm dead it won't matter - I have no recollection of anything before I was born, so I have no fear of what it's like after I'm dead.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car..." (Will Rogers) ??

I'm currently caring for a couple who have beautiful kind hearts but are now physically and mentally beaten and want to go. It's hard to see

As I've transitioned out of my religion, it's been so horrific that I've wished many times that I could end it all. If I really thought that there was nothing after death, I would have. Unfortunately, though I accept the fact that I really don't know either way, I am not willing to take the chance that there is and that I'll only have made my situation worse. I'm past the suicide thoughts now but only by deciding that the only way I would find out if life has any real value was to keep on living it. I still struggle every day, though, with depression, anxiety, etc, as I try to find value after everything I valued before is gone.

I do understand I have had depression my whole life and it's taken me to the edge many times. It makes a mockery of the relationships I hold dear and makes me constantly question everything and it's worth.. chin up you are not the only one

...thank you for your courage
if you need a sounding board I'm
here...

@BBJong Aw, thanks!

I am not afraid and that is the end of your existence.

No I dont

No. I am 83 years of age and have lived a long and productive life with all its joys and sorrows. I am grateful that I had this chance on life in this universe. I do hope for a peaceful and pain free death. I am relative good health for my age and have excellent medical care. Modern science is amazing and I hope to live to be one hundred but would not want to live forever. Unless I was able to travel to a distant planet which would take many thousands of years. Assuming Iscience could also get me spruced up a bit.

I look at death as the ultimate investigation into the unknown and I look forward to finding out what is in store for us, I hope it is a quiet nothingness. Dying scares the crap out of me, medical science in it's special wisdom doesn't believe in you getting the drugs you might need to go quietly into the darkness because they fear you might become addicted.

I am not afraid for it is a natural situation and we are sure about it no meaning in frightened

I find funerals creepy. I think allot of people are scared of death by how they talk about it as if it isn't real. I don't look forward to it, but it's inevitable with age, and for me probably painful getting there. I hope I don't have many regrets by the time I cease to exist. "It is finished"

I don't necessarily think funerals are creepy but I really resent the whole long process we put into laying dead bodies to rest and the fact that I'm going to be the one making that effort when my parents go. I've told people to cremate me or donate my body to science, whatever is easiest to them. I find it silly that we feel the need to go to so much trouble and expense to take care of dead bodies.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.