Agnostic.com

371 37

are you afraid of death?

being atheist or agnostic we know that chriatainality and angels and demons gods and devils and most likely an afterlife are all just wishful thinking. seeing as we know that death is indeed the end for us does that idea frightend you ? what are your thoughts on death ? personaly i gotta admitt it scares me . i know there is nothing i can do to avoid it . im so sad when a relative dies knowing ill never see them again. and this is why i think so many people wanna believe in a god and heaven. we want so badly to believe us and our loved ones will live on that many do so just to comfort themselfs. your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

371 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not at all. I don't see the point in fearing the inevitable. I'm not ready to check out anytime soon, but when my number is up, it's up. Fearing what I cannot stop from happening just detracts from enjoying whatever time I've got left.

Ask me after it happens...

Mark Twain wrote, "I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Who am I to argue?

You just cease to exist. No more pain no more struggling nothing why be afraid?

I'm afraid of a painful death.

No, knowing that life will eventually end is a comfort and a motivator not to waste the time I have.

Not afraid of death. Afraid of dying.

If, as we suspect, death is simply the end of it all, what's to fear? You won't be in pain, have any regrets, burn in hell, or whatever....we'll simply cease to exist. What's to fear about that?

Hell yeah I'm afraid of death. It's the thing I fear the most, at least at this point in my life. Especially death by being killed. Seems like a fairly normal thing to fear, to me.

I also am certain that many people who claim to not be afraid of it... aren't being honest with themselves. It sounds good, though.

Many people hold onto their religious beliefs because they can't bear the thought that they will never see their dead loved ones again. On this site we have moved on from there to accept that our state after our death will be the same as our state before we were born. Many of us fear the dying process, because of our fear of pain, loss of dignity, etc. But I imagine few of us fear actual death.

I don't fear death, it is a natural part of life. I welcome death, but I won't do anything to hasten it. I do what I can to prolong my life, but when it happens it happens.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 7, 2018

I fear not death itself but the cease of ability to do what I haven't done yet. I have a long list of things that I want to do, and a few of them take time, most of them take money. Death means I can't do those things I want to and that's what I fear. I want to experience what this life I have has to offer and where my mind will take me. I welcome death with open arms when my journey end. I just hope it's not for a long time from now.

I am not afraid of death, but I hope it comes to me in my sleep or some other painless way. I fear a prolonged agonising death and hope that if I need it, euthanasia will be available to me. I saw my mother die very slowly in a nursing home over a prolonged period of time, she also had Parkinson's. In the end she died in her sleep, peacefully, but it took so long. It must have been torture.

I am only because I don't think I've led a complete life yet. There are things I still want to do. Knowing that life is finite is a decent motivator, but the not knowing when it will happen causes some fear if I think about it too much. Best I can do is live well day to day and accomplish what I can.

I do not fear death. Currently, I do not welcome it either, although I believe in human euthanasia. I hope I do not have a painful dying process.

Well put and succinct.

No, I'm not afraid of death. But I am afraid of pain. So the sooner the UK agrees to euthanasia the better I'll feel.

At the age of 80, my answer is no.

The idea of death doesn't bother me in the least. The idea of living too long frightens me a lot more. I intend to go when I have had enough of life, and since I think there is nothing after death, there is nothing to fear.

Terrified.

I rather be alive . But won't go the extra mile to ensure " long life ".. as a nurse , I have learned one thing: vitamins and remedies and all that jazz , useless : most likely after 70 u ll pee on your pants or will need pills to not pee in your pants ! If is not your bladder will be the liver , the pancreas , this that and the other . Eyes go out , hearing is questionable , and majority , joints and rest are not great either . U can only hope as we age , that brain remains intact . Then again , I sure hope if brain not intact and if hands not coordinating to wipe MY OWN BEHIND , pls pls pls , let me go graciously and w dignity . Preferebably w eye brows on , some lipstick and deodorant ? Death doesn't scare me at all . Not looking Frwd to be dead any time soon, but when it happens , game over guys . A bad life scares me more . Stay alive and find reasons to smile . Certain days , " u have to find " reasons to smile . And that's the key ? Be good to others , hopefully will remeber us w smiles when we r gone . In reality , 4 generations later and nobody remembers nobody , and that's a fact . One more reason to enjoy and pass the knowledge while alive .

Great thoughts! That's the basic inspiration for why, as a single woman who lives alone with her dog, I plan to take the time to always apply a little makeup and perform those moderate grooming rituals well into my who-knows-how-many-decades-I'll-get!

...thanks~totally agree/hope that
Alzheimer's has a cure then

I don't think anyone knows until faced with the moment. I don't believe I will fear at all. I will be sad for the ones I'm leaving behind, but not for myself.

I reached 80 just the other day and can say that this life is filled with tears.
Losing loved ones is very painful and we've all suffered through those hard times.
But there are bright Moments too.
I don't fear death at all, in fact, I welcome it.
I've lived an interesting life and I don't want to be here to see any of my four grown children pass.
As far as pain I've had more than my share.
Loving is the counter balance to pain and I've loved often
L

Death, no. Most specific forms of dying, yes. The state of non-existence scares the part of my conscious mind which is terribly attached to its own existence, but the rest of me welcomes the quiet. It's the process that worries/frightens me.

I find that I'm much more at ease with the idea of mortality as an atheist than I ever was as a catholic. You put in your work and live your life to the fullest, and when it's over, you're done with everything and don't have to dwell on it. Sounds pretty liberating to me.

Never thought of it like that. Actually doesn’t sound to bad the way u ,ale it sound 🙂

Death is just a transition to a previous state of energy. Energy does not die. Rather, for all living things, it transforms by returning to a previous state of being – air, earth, ethers, cosmos. We are all made from energy. Energy is in active and inert objects, air, rocks, water. Energy is not always visible, but always present. I think this may be the basis for the idea of everlasting life.

Another way to look at it is through your DNA. DNA is what you leave as you pass anywhere on this earth. Think of all the skin cells that shed from your body as you move. You don’t realize that you are leaving a little of yourself wherever you go. Even as your breath, you put your DNA in the air. When you die and are buried, your DNA remains stuck in the clothes in which you are buried, the bones which remain after decomposition, or the ash from bones incinerated.

I’m sure you have had many photos taken of you. This will keep you in the minds and sentiment of those who knew you - for good or ill – and will sustain memory of your being for many years to come. Be sure to place a little handwritten note on those photos to help others recall the date, time, place of the photo or event. This helps put you in context. This will help generations later recognize you as a member of the family, group, event. In this way, memory of you will live on.

Yes that’s very true. Our energy does live on and hopefully memories as well

I fear death for two reasons.

#1 I have a 3 year old little boy. I can't stand the thought of leaving him and putting him through that pain.

#2 It's an unknown. I used to think that I wasn't affraid of death until one day back in 2010 I was in a bad accident. It was really touch and go for a while. I didn't want to die. And they realization that I may not make it was not pleasant.

I too had a near death experience .... scared the shot outta me . I fought like hell to remain alive . Does make u appreciate this life more thou . Glad u made it buddy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.