Agnostic.com

371 37

are you afraid of death?

being atheist or agnostic we know that chriatainality and angels and demons gods and devils and most likely an afterlife are all just wishful thinking. seeing as we know that death is indeed the end for us does that idea frightend you ? what are your thoughts on death ? personaly i gotta admitt it scares me . i know there is nothing i can do to avoid it . im so sad when a relative dies knowing ill never see them again. and this is why i think so many people wanna believe in a god and heaven. we want so badly to believe us and our loved ones will live on that many do so just to comfort themselfs. your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

371 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah but I was more terrified of death when I was a Christian. The fear that no matter what I did, God was going to judge me and send me to hell was terrifying to me. My only disappointment now is that we are here for such a short time. Its over so fast.

Death itself doesn't scare me, but dying does.

No, it seems like its a natural process I fear more the idea of losing my mind .

I think that nongodders think about and talk about demons, angels, gods, and all of that than godders do. It is like, "Hey, what are you thinking?"

I'm not worried about death. I'm just concerned how I am going to accomplish the burial I want. I want a Green Burial. That is a natural burial. It is not allowed in every state. I have to find people who will do it for me . How I set it up. Because there is no embalming the burial has to be done in a few days after death. Being an atheist what kind of a service do I have ? I have been doing research on this for awhile. I am avoiding talking to anyone at a funeral parlor. I do not want to be creamented or buried in a casket. Anyone have any suggestions ?

I agree with everything you stated, and this has become a dull nag in the back of my mind the older I get. Yes, place me in the ground, simply shroud or naked, is what I want, why is this so difficult for so many to comprehend? I believe we are stardust, and want to return to soil as simply as possible.

I’m not afraid of death. Since my son experienced it, I’m not afraid of anything. I haven’t triggered with fear about anything in almost 3 years.

After Life. This implies a state that is post life, Not life or living. I have no fear of being a rock or a pool of water or any other concantonation of non-living material.
As for my wishes or yours, We all have to come to grips with those things, processes, behaviors that we would not have and most certainly do not like.
Just as there are persons, species, milleu of existance that I would prefer to never leave. They have left and are gone or will go none the less. I will leave those things at the very least. I do not fear the state called death, no more than my birth seemed an awakening from some horrid state of fear or suffering. Dying, loss and suffering of all sorts give me concern. These things are just as unavoidable and being born or being dead. Like the universe as a whole they must be taken as givens. Take more concern with the probabilities of what is, rather than suffer at the thoughts of what may be.

I used to be afraid of dying. Maybe I'm a little sketchy about it now. It comes and goes. I'm pretty sure after death there is nothing and I don't fear it because I'm not going to know it anyway.
I was with a client holding her hand when she died she went smooth as silk it was so natural. There was nothing scary about it.
I want to say that years ago I did past life regression and it was pretty amazing for a lot of reasons I sure remembered things and some of the things I remembered I realized they had an effect on my life now.
The other was a very amazing experience that happened shortly after my sister passed. It was just incredible and since then I sometimes wonder if there is some sort of life after death.!I don't know and I will never know.
Like everyone else I just want to go out with no pain.

I think of death as being the same as before I was born, and I can't remember a single thing. I think it's similar to the curtain goes down and the show is over. It's not the idea that we fear death itself so much, but HOW we die and will we be in pain. Also we think we'll miss our loved ones, only we won't because we won't be anymore.

Death is not something I fear, but I do find myself wrought with anger over the fact that death is inevitable. Here I am, doing my best to live life only to have it end out of my control. I find it especially angering when I consider that there is likely nothing beyond this temporary existence. I do try to make the best of said existence and find my own meaning within in it, but at the end of the day, that's how it is, and likely always will be.

I will say, however, that life itself is a blessing. We get to know not only what it is like to be alive, as any species does, but we also get to understand the ins and outs of the reality with which we live in. Life is perhaps ultimately meaningless, but it is also a gift which should not be taken for granted. I intend to live as long as possible to understand our reality as much as possible.

As a follow up to my first blog concerning, "The Big
Tease ", known as Life, I do not fear death.
I don't fear pain as I've lived for 79 years and have known both physical and mental pain that accompanies all of us through this journey.
We are here for a very little time.
Before anyone knows it we're gone . Enjoy life, it's the ultimate gift.

As much as I would to see my friends, family and especially pets greet me in some kind of afterlife,. I have reason to believe that death is more like having one's plug pulled. Lights out. That's it. And that comes from seeeing several people, including my mother die.

No not at all. It is the greatest event in a life time

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 4, 2018

I am not afraid of death. I have some fear of the PROCESS of dying.

I have lost four immediate family members to "untimely" death plus the ones who went when they were "supposed" to and so death is something of an old friend to me. It is de-mystified. Also I am in my 60s now and the number of people around me who are going to die is only going to go up. Either these things consume you or you learn to accept them.

Right now? No. If I start experiencing chest pains? Damn right, I am.

I watched this in my mum's death. She'd spent all of the previous Christmas vocally wishing she was dead before the next one, in front of my (then 10 year old) son. She'd been doing that for years. She said she'd had enough of life. But in the moment when it happened (I couldn't be there - I was 4 hours away when I got the call, and I didn't make it in time) I am told that she was afraid. And that's someone who had supposedly regained her faith.

I'm more afraid of living in pain and torment than I am of dying. I look at my father, a shadow of who he was after a stroke left him paranoid delusional, truly believing that he is an evil individual who is responsible for everything wrong in the world, and that the germs that he carries are actually killing people around him. There's no reasoning with him, and anti-psychotics barely take the edge off. If anything approaches the Christian understanding of hell, he's living it on planet Earth. I'll take going to sleep tonight and not waking up tomorrow over that, any time.

I don't think death scares me. The prospect of being aware that I'm dying, and clinging to my last few minutes of consciousness, does. I think I'm someone who'd go out with a bang in the event of a terminal cancer diagnosis, rather than trying to drag things out with debilitating chemotherapy. Still, you don't know for sure until you're put in that position.

I'm afraid of the act of dying. Will I suffer terribly? I hope not! Mostly it makes me sad to think I'll never see my loved ones again, so I hope to die before any of my children or grandchildren.

Terrified - Am I the only one being honest on this string?

No, not of death. But I do think about kinds of things leading to death. I hope to go quickly and to be able to go quietly if I am terminally ill.

I am not and actually look forward to it as long as its not long and painful. I'm tired of this planet.

Are you afraind of 1750?
When you did not exist?
Are you afraind of 2150, when you won't exist?

"Death is nothing to us
When we exist, death is not;
and when death exists, we are not.
Why fear death?"--Epicurus

No death does not frighten me, it never has actually.

The short answer is no, I am not afraid of death. I am afraid of the pain associated with dying.

No... and for those asking next month... NOPE.

I'm not afraid of death. Death is a form of entropy. All we are is dust in the wind.

I agree that there is nothing to fear. If you imagine what it was like before you were born, that's what it will be like when you die. Alas, I am still terrified of death. Sometimes I fixate on my mortality and it fucks up my whole day. I'm not afraid I'll go to Hell or any other bad place. It's more about missing people and worrying about them. I guess there is no escaping the inevitable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.