Agnostic.com

371 37

are you afraid of death?

being atheist or agnostic we know that chriatainality and angels and demons gods and devils and most likely an afterlife are all just wishful thinking. seeing as we know that death is indeed the end for us does that idea frightend you ? what are your thoughts on death ? personaly i gotta admitt it scares me . i know there is nothing i can do to avoid it . im so sad when a relative dies knowing ill never see them again. and this is why i think so many people wanna believe in a god and heaven. we want so badly to believe us and our loved ones will live on that many do so just to comfort themselfs. your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

371 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I fear nonexistence.. Fear of the unknown,
I guess.. and the pain that comes before death because I'm a big baby when it comes to physical pain.

Nope, kinda looking forward to it. My life sucks.

I am more affraid of not living to the fullest than dying

I'm not thrilled about it, I'll tell ya that much. It doesn't frighten me as much now because of the things I've achieved and the happiness I've found.

When I was younger, the thought of dying was scarier, simply because I had so many unfulfilled dreams.

I have a friend who is a hospice nurse. She always told me that of all of her patients, the religious ones were always the ones that fought dying the hardest, and as a result, their deaths were always the hardest. (Hey, if ya got a good place to go to, why hold on to the misery of this life?) At the time, it didn’t make much sense to me. As I thought about it, though...Christianity is always going on about how humans are flawed, evil, etc, etc, etc. And then, too, it always seemed that Christians had a carrot-and-stick approach to life, instead of being true “believers,” so when it came time to exit this life, they weren’t really too sure about their beliefs. Between their guilt, self-loathing, and their transactional, reward/punishment take on their religion, I can see why they might fight it, as opposed to the secular folks who just feel that their atoms are going back where they came from.

Never have been afraid of death. I am afraid of pain~ mine, physical; and people who love me, psychological.

I'm not afraid at all. Rather, very curious to know if there an 'other side'.

Not at all. Even in your own statement you say we know it’s coming. It’s inevitable. No matter what you do, it’s going to happen. Why fear it? If anything, I welcome it. This ride called life has been filled, FILLED with downs and I've has a few ups. But honestly, I’m just tired. I’m tired of having to break my back to earn money to eat and have a roof over my head. Honestly, the only time I didn’t want death to happen was when I was in a loving relationship. That was the only time I was happy enough to want to keep going forward.

Going back to your question, no. I don’t fear death. I live my life helping others and trying to be a decent person.

I’m sorry man .. but remember there r others out there . Love is wonderful you’ll find it again

Yes, I fear it. People are claiming the method/mode of death is what they fear, not death itself. To me, these two things are inseparable and the lack of control is the primary issue. I want to decide how I go, and when I go.

Livia Level 6 July 9, 2018

I do too 😟

@DavidDeLa89 David - to want to control the manner and timing of death is not the same as not wishing to live. I enjoy my life, but I don’t enjoy aging. When life becomes too physically painful and difficult from age or sickness, I want to have choice and control, but I don’t wish I was dead or anything like that.

I think there is something after this life, kind of like a butterfly. Does the caterpillar know it will come out of the cocoon? I don’t know, but either way, I won’t know until I die. So honestly I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it, instead I think about how I can make this life great. I also learned a lot about facing death watching my mother die. It helped me put death in perspective. It’s just another part of life.

Make the most outta yer life while yer here . Don’t waste it 😉

Death poses no fear because we will not know, think, or feel anything!

Not since I was about 18 or whenever I truly embraced the idea that live each day the best you can and you regret nothing

I have never been afraid of death. Once I let go of life after death, I became less afraid of this life.

I've been in the hospital for three months, and could have died; though, I was never close to death. It was an epiphany.

No, I don't fear death. It will come. In the mean time, I will live as fully as possible, in the moment.

EdEarl Level 8 June 21, 2018

Not in the least! With what's going on in the world today, I almost welcome it......though I prefer it come to Trump and his cronies first.

I do not long for it but I would not resist it either.

Were you afraid of being born? Fear is the great motivator that religions and governments use to pacify their herds (flocks). Don't let the fear you think you have govern your actions. Accept that you will die, I will die. No one gets out of here alive.

Well Said

Afraid of dying, but not of death.

People ask me what I think it will be like after death. I tell them, "remember what it was like before you were born? - it will be a lot like that"

It's the unknown and we are hardwired to fear it. On the bright side, nobody who died ever complained about it.

I am not afraid to die. I am a 60 yr. old woman that has hiv for 27 yrs. My husband died 19yrs ago with it. When I found out I had hiv all I wanted was to live till my children became adults. I have done that.I am still in great health. Hiv is a very lonely disease the one thing that would make me happy is to have a male companion. When I start getting sick and need to be cared for is my limit. That will be the time I CHOOSE to die. I have been saving pills for yrs.I just want to go peacefully to sleep. You have to understand I have seen what this disease can do. I will not put my family through that or myself for that matter. My life has been more fearful than my death could ever be.

Nope. I am, however terrified of being helpless after a stroke, cancer, or other long drawn out state of being an invalid. I took care of my grandfather after his stroke, Mom' after she got cancer, and my dad while he drank himself to death. Fortunately, I have had triple bypass surgery and don't have long to live before I have another heart attack and my death shouldn't take too long. My biggest fear of death has been eliminated.

Looking forward with anticipation. When it happens it happens...sooooo today I a living as if its the last day of my life. for it very well could be...

No. I don't desire it but I don't fear it.

Very interesting!!! I believe the fear of death is natural. The unknown is usually uncomfortable.
Death being the end of my life. I enjoy living and the thought of dying kind of sucks. I have missed some people I have known who have died, some I don't miss at all.

I suppose the greatest fear is how. It would be ideal to fall asleep and not wake up. But that is not a certainty. Funerals kind of crack me up though. All of the B.S. ideas like She or He is looking down on us.....or we will meet up with the deceased one day..REALLY??

Words of comfort or just plain B.S. we think make the grieving feel better.

The whole concept of walking around heaven, wearing a long white robe, playing a harp,the streets of gold and pearly gates is quite annoying.

So, yes I suppose I fear death, unless I am suffering so much that I welcome it.
Meanwhile in the land of the living, I plan to enjoy every minute of the rest of my life!!!

No , not really.... just a bit disappointed that I won’t live forever.....

You just made me think of the song in Highlander -- Who Wants to Live Forever. Love that song.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.