Agnostic.com

371 37

are you afraid of death?

being atheist or agnostic we know that chriatainality and angels and demons gods and devils and most likely an afterlife are all just wishful thinking. seeing as we know that death is indeed the end for us does that idea frightend you ? what are your thoughts on death ? personaly i gotta admitt it scares me . i know there is nothing i can do to avoid it . im so sad when a relative dies knowing ill never see them again. and this is why i think so many people wanna believe in a god and heaven. we want so badly to believe us and our loved ones will live on that many do so just to comfort themselfs. your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

371 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The last time I died, it was like taking a nap. The hard part was what they did to me after I was brought back.

Death will come whether i fear it or not so why bother. I wish to live at this time but I have only limited control. A drunk driver. a broken tree limb and I may be gone. I have survived to 78 and I try to do everything to prolong my life but it can be taken in a split second and without my consent.

Marine Level 8 June 30, 2018

I am never afraid of death. To me birth is the same as death. What I am afraid is ,of course, the pain I must endure before I die.

I do believe energy never dies, so we go on after death. However, I believe heaven and hell were created to instill fear in members of a religion. I don't know where we go, after death, I like to think we continue on in some way.

Not scared of dying bit scared of dying painfully or alone.

It frightens me when you come to mind
The day you dropped in the shopping line
And my heart beats faster when I think of all the signs, all the signs
When they carried you out your mouth was open wide
The cat went astray and the dog did pine for days and days
And I felt so guilty when we played you up
When you were ill, so ill
What sticks in my mind is the sweet jar
On the sideboard. And your multicolored tea cozy
What sticks in my mind is the dew-drop hanging off your nose
Shriveled up and blue
And I'm getting older, too
But I don't want to die like you
Don't want to die like you, don't want to die like you - XTC

Am I afraid of Death? Petrified, absolutely NOT. Just think of Death as taking a nap. Dose off and when in slumber land your dead to the world. If you are fortunate enough to wake up and start a new day, life goes on as before.
Relatives are plenty when you are young and in many cases as you age, all of the established relations die and the family unit shriks. When you become the last person in the family, meaning the oldest of the family, you have lost you parents, brothers and sisters. All that is left is me and death means I had a great ride.

As Clint Eastwood said in the movie "Unforgiven" a western "That's the thing about killing a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's ever going to have." Death is final and if you waste your life you have no one to blame but yourself. I believe when all living things (not just people) die that their energy returns to the universe.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

Not at all. We all get there at some stage or other and seeing there is no heaven or hell, just nothing afterwards whats there to be afraid of ? Go in peace my love !

For quire a few years I have believed when we die, we more or less blink out, does it scare me , NO, I have been fortunate enough to have a decent life, never rich but not poor either, When I look at other countries, and see the struggles and hell they are going through I do appreciate the life I have.

When I'm dead I won't know it.

Of course I would prefer to die in my sleep, not from a prolonged illness.

To me death is going to sleep and not waking up.

The sadness of death is missing those that you care about that pass before you. I have a hard time grieving for anyone who is over 80, believing they have had a long life, doesn't mean I won't miss them. Those we lose catastrophically, or too young, you just don't get over, the loss of a child comes to mind, we all want to out live our children. Much has been written dealing with the loss of one too early.

I lost my oldest daughter. I was in my body acting llike I was some sort of normal, but in reality I spent 18 months in shock. When i finally came back, I cried me a river, but she had a horrible marriage and much pain. Wherever she is, she is, it is better off than not not where she was and she would not accept help from her parents. We just loved her until she left. it is good to read what you have written.

More the how.

NOPE! Even at 52 (in two days) I have lived a full life, traveled the globe many times, made love in the jungle, swam with sharks, helped both kids at birth, road horses on a Mexican beach, rode camels on volcanoes, and had several near death occurrences. To me death is more natural than life, for not everything gets a chance to be born, but everything born will die, it is the natural cycle of life.

What a wonderful life. I think it is grand. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

i find my society so messed up that death at the moment seems quite a nice idea - to just blissfully leave the stage after the fat lady sings. I have ordered today the consent forms for my dead body to go to Queens University Belfast and I'm interested that I feel pretty O.K about that choice. Of course I might live for far too many more years, but I do feel stormy clouds gathering and an unrest in my part of the world that is edgy. I will hope for the best and be prepared for hte worst - the thing I find most hateful is the way poorer people are being treated ;policemen beating up rough sleepers who have no choice - and leaving people to die in the snow
So I am sure that there are many good things around at the moment its just that i am not hearing about them.

My mortality concerned me quite a bit after I realized that I wasn't eternal. It took me several months after my deconversion to come to grips with being finite. I think death will be like loosing consciousness, and simply never regaining it. When you think of it that way it's not so bad... Nothing to look forward to, but nothing to really fear either. I fear dying more than death. The process of becoming dead can be quite painful depending on how it happens...

No I might be afraid of hurting a lot whilst in my dying process but havent got any fears about ,
Heaven or Hell.

I do not fear death. Like 'resserts' (below) however, I do fear how I will arrive at that condition. I, too, want a painless death and I don't want it to be a long, drawn out process, either. I would like the opportunity to decide WHEN to die (self administered euthanasia) but that's an expensive business as it is not available in Britain so necessitating a trip to Europe. In anticipation of this event I have donated my body to The Hope teaching hospital in Liverpool - signed, but not yet sealed and delivered! My General Practitioner pulled a face when I requested this be placed in my medical file - next to Do Not Resuscitate - (I suspect she is religious), but made no comment.

Agree with those who are saying “just like dreamless sleep”. And that will suit me. I like sleeping anyway. And it is what I expect animals have too. I expect my dogs, when the time is right, to drift off into forever sleep. Of course no one wants to die before they are ready, but that is another matter. A fact of life.

NZVee Level 4 Jan 7, 2018

Since I don't believe in life after death, I'm not afraid of death itself but I am afraid of how I will die.

Wait...why is this in love and relationships? xD

Does it scare me? Yes and no. It scares me because i'll never get to see the people I care about again or pet another dog. But it also has a sense of peace to it... knowing I don't have to put up with bullshit and suffering anymore.

I am not looking forward to my end of life experience, but mostly I hope for it to be painless and not too scary. As I approach that eventuality, I actually am less scared of it than I used to be. Strange isn't it? I will be 82 on my next birthday, so like it or not it's on it's way and getting closer every day.

I think that's why I grew up loving history books about great dead people. I found them comforting. After all, they all died so it can't be that bad. Right?

I'm not afraid of death itself. I am afraid of dying if it's particularly long and painful, or leaves behind anyone that seriously needs me.

not yet I may be when the time comes - I am pretty afraid of life (it was difficult - much better now) but I suppose teh short answer is no and i hope it stays that way. I think I might be more afraid of losing faculties.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.