Agnostic.com

371 37

are you afraid of death?

being atheist or agnostic we know that chriatainality and angels and demons gods and devils and most likely an afterlife are all just wishful thinking. seeing as we know that death is indeed the end for us does that idea frightend you ? what are your thoughts on death ? personaly i gotta admitt it scares me . i know there is nothing i can do to avoid it . im so sad when a relative dies knowing ill never see them again. and this is why i think so many people wanna believe in a god and heaven. we want so badly to believe us and our loved ones will live on that many do so just to comfort themselfs. your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

371 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The loss of loved ones is hard and makes us sad but it part of the human condition and we just have to come to terms with it, just as we have to come to terms with our own death. If you believe that death is simple the end, and there is nothing afterwards, then there is nothing to fear. Most people fear the process of dying because they afraid it will be painful and they will lose control over their lives, but death itself is nothing.

I am only afraid because there are so many goals I have yet to accomplish, and this is the only chance I have. My belief that I will become fertilizer when I expire, has (as I’ve aged) profoundly affected how l live. For example, when an angry person approaches me these days, in an obvious attempt to incite some kind of confrontation (yes a lot of angry folks out there these days) I’m quick to kindly tell the person to back off and find another combatant. My time is way too precious to spent dealing with non-productive nonsense.

I don't want to die, not that I am afraid of it, I just don't want the experience of life to end ! Yes, it is sad to imagine when those around you that you care for and love, to be gone. perhaps even worse to imagine them in any discomfort and/or pain, and yet, as always before, the show must go on ! Someday science and medicine will be able to offer MANY more choices and alternatives to what we must face and deal with today, but for now, it is a sad reality we must learn to deal with.

I am certainly not scared of death. There was a time when I really hoped that there was nothing after death - that death would be a permanent relief, even though a relief that we would not be aware of to feel. I currently mostly believe in an afterlife, but know that I could be wrong. One does not need to have a deity to have an afterlife, much less a seemingly randomly selected deity who demanded that we know which one was right without any evidence or would be punished for all eternity for believing in a way that we were pre-determined by that deity to believe.

If I really am to never again see my friends, pets, and relatives who I would want to see again, then I can try to be satisfied with that they will never be in any kind of physical or emotional pain again, or hope that they are doing well with their new incarnation, or whatever the actual afterlife experience actually is, or experiences are.

Meanwhile I have other stuff to do and think about. I'm glad to take a moment to try to be reassuring to a fellow human being, because that is one of the other things that I'd rather be doing than worrying about death. I think I have that one kind of figured out, but if I don't, meh.

(yes, I actually expect "meh" to be a reassuring word in this case)

I really, really don’t want to die. I love life. As a Transhumanist I’m hoping that Scientists will have cured death before my demise. Ray Kurzweil has put 2045 as the year we should have cured death etc. Sounds mad but this guy is a genius. He invented the flatbed scanner, the Kurzweil Synth which was the first to ever recreate a grand piano sound convincingly, a text to speech reading machine for the blind. He has had many awards and accolades from numerous US presidents etc and now works at Google (his first job for someone else).

Check out one of his books if you want to live forever.

[amazon.co.uk]

I realize that it is irrational, and wish I could view it as an endless sleep, but it is the only thing that truly generates anxiety in me. I love life to the fullest, especially apperceive of my loved ones, so I believe that it's the loss of experience that frightens me the most. If nothing else, the acceptance of embracing our short existence constantly reminds me to live life to its fullest.

I'm not in the least bit afraid of death. It will be the end of my consciousness so I won't be able to experience pain or fear.

But the prospect of dementia or incapacity and the process of dying scare me.

I'm not in the least bit afraid of death. It will be the end of my consciousness so I won't be able to experience pain or fear.

But the prospect of dementia or incapacity and the process of dying scare me.

No not especially, I'll be more peeved than anything as I'll always have things I've yet to do.

I am not afraid of death. My mother died of cancer in 1993 and I was beside her when she passed. I actually could feel her spirit energy in the room before she left. My father died a year later and I was with him when he passed. It was in February. Several minutes after he passed, I actually seen both of them laughing and walking away together, looking young, happy, and there were grass and trees around them. I believe there is another side where we pass on to after life here on earth. We are all energy and we continue to exist. I don't know if there is a higher energy (a god of sorts?) but I do believe that we continue to exist. I don't believe in a heaven or hell as is fed to us by the organized religions. But death is not the end. It may be just the beginning or a continuing? I continue to seek answers and probably will till the end.

Read Leo Buscalia's book, The Fall of Freddie the Leaf.

I'm afraid of dying in agony, or a long, lingering death. It's not what happens to me after I die that bothers me, but the physical act of it.

When my fiancee passed away last year I became so aware of how quickly our existence can cease. im not afraid of death, no one can dodge it but I was angry when she was taken from me so suddenly and it made me realise that we need to live like it could be our last day. I don't know what happens after death, I personally believe that once you are dead, thats it, but I could be wrong and I don't judge others for their beliefs

What's to be afraid of? You won't be around to experience anything negative or sad. Are you afraid of sleep? The only reason to afraid of death is if, at some level, you believe in hell.

Earlier in my life I was afraid of death and I was also a believer in god at the time. Many will not get what I'm saying now. I do not fear death and dying. What I fear is the possibility of pain in that process, so I want no pain. Another fear in death is all of the unfinished business. I have that too. When everything just stops you are not doing what you like any longer and you are not with family and friends. If I died tonight I still would not have fixed my shower stall that I plan on working on this weekend. Unfinished business, and that worries me. We get accostomed to what we do, who we are, and our family and friends.

I didn't bother me to not exist for the millions of years before I was born why would I be afraid of what happens after I'm dead.

Only my own 🙂

Nah, it’s a process. Like saying am I afraid to go to sleep or do the shopping! No point fearing the inevitable unless one has been conditioned that way.

No. at least when your dead you can't be scared anymore.

I think everyone's afraid of death. It's painful sometimes. ?

Oh hellz yes. I constantly remind myself death is probable each and every day. that extent, I try live my life out the the fullest.

No I don't fear death, if anything I consider a time of eternal rest in which we no longer have to be exposed to any possibilities, positive or negative. I'd rather not die without giving something to the world but if it's to believed that death is certain or unavoidable, then fearing it is kind of pointless. I'd rather focus on what I know and make the best of it.

It's so final. You're gone.

I don't fear not existing; I didn't exist for millions of years before I was born and that was easy. I don't look forward to the pain that comes with the process of dying, but I'm not sure that fear is the right word.
More than anything, I have sadness that I won't get to experience certain things. My kids and grandkids will have experiences but I won't be there to share them. But that's the price of being alive, and we all suffer that fate eventually. Dwelling on it would only lead down a dark path and prevent me from enjoying the time and experiences I will be here for.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.