Agnostic.com

371 37

are you afraid of death?

being atheist or agnostic we know that chriatainality and angels and demons gods and devils and most likely an afterlife are all just wishful thinking. seeing as we know that death is indeed the end for us does that idea frightend you ? what are your thoughts on death ? personaly i gotta admitt it scares me . i know there is nothing i can do to avoid it . im so sad when a relative dies knowing ill never see them again. and this is why i think so many people wanna believe in a god and heaven. we want so badly to believe us and our loved ones will live on that many do so just to comfort themselfs. your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

371 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not scared of death ( We're going to die) my only fear es what's my last breath going to heel like.

I know I can't stop my death. It happens at the right time and I am not afraid

I am afraid of death as a mortal creature. My morality does not bother me, nor do I fear being dead. I fear dying, it's instinctual.

No, just how I'll be remembered.

In some ways yes. I'm mostly scared about how it will happen.

Not really

I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of pain. I'm afraid debilitation. I'm afraid that my death will cause pain to others. And to be frank, sometimes the last one is the only thing that keeps me alive.

I'm not afraid of death I'm afraid of dying I don't want it to be painful I'm not like other people I don't like pain it hurts me( that's a Daffy Duck quote by the way)

I posted this in another thread but I'll re-post it here since it applies.

++++++++++++++++

If death is so terrifying to so many people then what's wrong with me if I don't fear it at all? I have no complaints from the billions of years I didn't exist before I was born and I'm not aware of anyone who's died ever complaining about being dead either so how bad can it be?

THANKS_for this?. Helped fill me
fuel tank up bro

@BBJong Glad to be of help.

No!

Hays Level 2 Sep 12, 2018

Someone had commented on a post about what do you think happens after death.. "we go back to where we were before we were born that wasnt so bad was it?". That has stayed in my mind and although that's kind of a bummer to me while in this physical world I'm sure it won't be a big deal once I'm there.
Guess I'll just have to wait and see. So far it's just a bunch of ideas and guesses when the truth is that NOBODY actually knows l

No I am afraid of hurting too much before I die- At the moment I am 70 and needing a hip replacement - it is sore all the time and I wouldnt like to be in pain but then I guess none of us would- Dying seems like a doddle to me just to let the pain go away.

There is nothing after death. Only fools believe there is an after life. I know that is hard to accept. Yes, I'm afraid of death. Who isn't afraid of it?

I'm not afraid of death as I am how it will affect the people in my life. I don't want the sadness associated with my death but want my life celebrated. The afterlife is a mystery even to the ones with the "magic" book. I think that is what draws so many to christianity is the fear of death and the hope of something more. Live life with no regrets and no reason to fear leaving it behind.

At times in my life i have been more afraid of living then death! Psychologically there is always fear of the unknown! But my Mother died at 84 and she told me she was ready 2 die at 70 years old.

U have a wise insight
fear inhibits understanding; thanks for
your comment/there are situations
worse than death...Sorry about your mom.

I am afraid of dying more than of death. i definitely do not believe in an afterlife, reincarnation, a soul that just sort of floats around, ghosts or any other supernatural thing, so death won't hurt; i just won't BE anymore. i don't know why i should care what happens in the world after i die, since i won't know about it, but somehow i DO care. i want my writing to be read and i want people to remember me. that may be foolish but it is how i feel.

g

At age81, I am not araid of death in the slightest.

I fear not living my life the best way I could have before my inevitable death. It's always sad to lose close ones and I miss them terribly but I also know it's life and everything dies. I have learned to take a minute to really cherish and appreciate my relationships with people, and to live life honestly so that I have no regrets and have the closure I need knowing death can happen at any time. Don't take people for granted. Love them.

...I agree/thanks

That's exactly how I feel and it's left me feeling anxiety and afraid of the end. whats the point of all this is doesn't there have to be a reason we exist or is it all just pointless.? These questions really get in the way of enjoying my life.. Why get attached to something that's just going to go away in the end?

I only have so many days to spend so I try to spend them wisely.

Yes, but I don't pretend to know what happens after death. It could be utter nothingness, or it could be a whole new reality, but that doesn't mean in a "spiritual" context.

I'm not aware that anyone really knows what happens after death of consciousness. Any of the Christian books that have been written by people who claimed to have died, have been revealed as hoaxes. Maybe out energy just returns to the ethers?

I'm not scared of death; I'm scared of dying to be honest. I don't want a long, painful, agonizing, way to death. The idea of this life is probably the only life we'll ever have, the consciousness ceasing to exist permanently, does not make me feel afraid. I'm saddened by the thought.

RMRen Level 3 July 26, 2018

I think believers are more afraid. For us, it's just like fall asleep for good, while for them, there's always the feeling to walk along the edge of a knife, anxious of sparing hell and the devil...

Being slightly asthmatic, I mostly hope I don’t feel smothered

Not at all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.