Agnostic.com

371 37

are you afraid of death?

being atheist or agnostic we know that chriatainality and angels and demons gods and devils and most likely an afterlife are all just wishful thinking. seeing as we know that death is indeed the end for us does that idea frightend you ? what are your thoughts on death ? personaly i gotta admitt it scares me . i know there is nothing i can do to avoid it . im so sad when a relative dies knowing ill never see them again. and this is why i think so many people wanna believe in a god and heaven. we want so badly to believe us and our loved ones will live on that many do so just to comfort themselfs. your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

371 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not in the slightest. I'm very comfortable in my own mortality, and there are some days that I think I would probably prefer it to the daily grind experienced here. I also approach the concept of an Afterlife with mainly curiosity. I'm ok with whatever happens, even if whatever happens is nothing. All possibilities are open, and I'm excited to find out what the truth is.

I'm not necessarily afraid of dying. I'm more afraid of getting old and having to know what I used to be capable of and not being that anymore. truth be told, I look forward to the quiet.

Not at all. to conquer death, you only have to die. Quote from JC superstar. Death is not the end of your atoms, of your energy, It is merely the transition of consciousness. Where it goes no body knows but to think it will be human is just too far fetched.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 23, 2018

I'm not terrified of death at all I would actually embrace it. You can't control that part of life.

I find the prospect of nothingness kind of comforting. An afterlife seems like a lot of pressure. I don't want to die, I don't look forward to the process or to an early death, but I'm not afraid of the eventuality.

Yeah I fear death a little bit, it might hurt, be prolonged, messy, distressing to others, etc.
I don't in the least bit fear being dead though.
Non-existence wasn't a problem for me during the billions of years before I existed, I have no reason to think it will be different after my existence.

Eternity would be far worse than death !

I was afraid of dying when I was younger and being raised in a very violent home. once I got out of that and grew up the fear got less. I think I'm not afraid to die, but I'm terrified of getting ill and lingering. I'm hoping I go in my sleep or suddenly somehow. Other than suffering, my biggest fear is the hurt my death will cause my children ,especially my daughter who will struggle emotionally when I'm gone. But the absolute worst fear is that I will outlive my children. That will cause me to want to die as soon as possible.

No, but I hate going anywhere alone.

No -- but I am worried about dying.

I am not afraid of being dead but I wish for a sudden and painless death. I am afraid of prolonged suffering.

It never even occurred to me about seeing others in heaven as heaven is such a ridiculous idea to me. Atheist from day one...

I think I've pondered this question for most of my life, and while I was younger I did not fear death, I do now. I guess what I really fear is not being remembered. That's the only thing I know I have any control over, and yet I sometimes feel I don't.

While I have rejected almost all forms of religious or superstitious thinking on the matter, I do take comfort in the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, which states basically that energy cannot be destroyed, it merely changes form. Atoms act like data bits, and live on to be combined with other atoms. Is this an afterlife? I don't know, and I don't think anyone can say for sure.

I'm quite looking forward to it, but only if I can go in an interesting way - eaten by tigers, something like that.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 2, 2018

I'm (usually) not looking forward to it, but I wouldn't say afraid. To paraphrase Twain, I was non-existent for billions of years before my birth & it doesn't seem to have bothered me at all, I figure the same will happen after death. I surely don't want a painful, protracted death, which is why I believe in Death with Dignity & think it is something which is a basic human right. I do agree that fear of death is probably one of religions biggest drivers & attractions, I just don't happen to believe wishful thinking is productive.

We don't know everything. This scientific theory that energy cannot be created or destroyed only transformed comes to mind.

Sure, & we know most of those transformations at death. The breakdown of your cells, the biota present in your body being "set loose", outside buggies looking for a new food source. But, without a brain, how does the "energy" of your "personality" cohere? I don't subscribe to dualism or the concept of a "soul". & the amount of energy involved in the brain/mind is minimal, very easy to just dissapate.

@phxbillcee Does anyone fully understand consciousness? We know a sperm inseminated an egg and grew you and you are conscious. I say you are conscious because you seem to be responding to stimuli. Can we definitively say where consciousness begins and ends or is it possible that consciousness exists before and beyond it is observable?

Nothing cannot exist. without nothing been false by you knowing something and not nothing. Nothing is forever literally. I believe in nothing prove nothing without proving anything and I will believe you. You bare witness to your own individual.

Even a eternity of nothing would pass in a instant without you there to know about it. All but nothing is possible within infinite time.

Believe what you want just don't define the impossible and think you know Truth by knowing nothing since you know something and not

???

Nothing cannot exist. without nothing been false by you knowing something and not nothing. Nothing is forever literally. I believe in nothing prove nothing without proving anything and I will believe you. You bare witness to your own individual.

Even a eternity of nothing would pass in a instant without you there to know about it. All but nothing is possible within infinite time.

Believe what you want just don't define the impossible and think you know Truth by knowing nothing since you know something and not

Only afraid of death when something happens and I am like, shite, I could have died.

Not at all.

Not scared of death. I don't like the idea of it, but there is nothing I can do about it.

I kind of look at it a bit like I look at the time before I was born - it didn't hurt and I didn't miss it.

No. Living with these christian asses prepares one for death daily. They also think if you have enough money (at least here in Waco) you can buy immortality. The rich people go to Germany and other countries trying to find a "fountain of youth" or cure for their old age.

Haha, I'm from Germany, but missed that fountain. Tell me when anyone found it.

I am not afraid of death. I would probably feel differently though if I had dependents.

Most days yes, some days no.

Cwen Level 4 Dec 29, 2017

Death is one of the things I am NOT afraid of. I am afraid of falling (from great heights), I am afraid of drowning, I am afraid of sharks, some snakes and spiders, and I am afraid of being permanently mentally or physically incapacitated, but I am not afraid of death; when you're dead you're dead and that's that. Of course I would prefer a painless death, but there's no guarantee of that. The concept of heaven and hell never did make any sense to me, even when I was a "believer", but then again I'm not so sure I ever did really believe in a god. So short answer: no, I am not afraid of death.

There are things in life that are worse than death. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm afraid of living several years paralyzed from the neck down. I'm afraid of losing my mind and running around urinating and defecating on everything and everyone. There are some other medical conditions I fear, but I don't fear death for myself. I know it will be hard on my family, and I feel sorry for what they will go through, but there's nothing I can do about so I accept it.

Others have speculated on what they think death will be like. I think it will be like being on propofol. You're conscious and then you're not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.