Agnostic.com

371 37

are you afraid of death?

being atheist or agnostic we know that chriatainality and angels and demons gods and devils and most likely an afterlife are all just wishful thinking. seeing as we know that death is indeed the end for us does that idea frightend you ? what are your thoughts on death ? personaly i gotta admitt it scares me . i know there is nothing i can do to avoid it . im so sad when a relative dies knowing ill never see them again. and this is why i think so many people wanna believe in a god and heaven. we want so badly to believe us and our loved ones will live on that many do so just to comfort themselfs. your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

371 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am more afraid of not living while I am here!

Death is a part of existence, it is inevitable to escape from. I cannot fear something that is bound to happen and so natural.

No one likes to leave a good party, but 'all things must pass. ' I was diagnosed with a terminal disease last year, and the knowledge that my time is more limited than I would have liked it to be has certainly encouraged consideration of mortality, of life and the leaving of it. But I do not fear death. I fear dying; the end of awareness of all I know and love, the discomfort of exit. But death to me is a mere nothing-No reward or punishment, no continued consciousness, simply a return to pre- birth, to the cosmos, and completion of the cycle.

extremely well put. I'm sorry for your illness.

Im afraid of pain, not of death

I'm not afraid of death; I'm afraid of pain. Oddly, although I'm an atheist, when a beloved furkid dies, it helps me to thinik of The Rainbow Bridge. I know -- it's weird. But there it is.

I'm not particularly afraid of death, of not being here. I'm more concerned about my loved ones grieving. I fear pain and despair, the dying process. I think death is the final solution, the ultimate relief.

I agree. This religious thing started when man realized that everyone dies. What happens next was what scared people then, and now. Studies have shown that people who believe, live longer. They do not worry about what happens after dearh, worries are not healthy. If a person stuck a gun in my face I would be terrified. But, if I were lying in my deathbed, knowing the end was near, I do not think I would be scared. Of course, never having been there, that remains to be seen.

I don’t fear death. My son has already experienced it. I haven’t felt fear of any kind in over two years.

No why should I be life is to short for affraid

When I was young, sometimes the inescapability, duration and finality of death would overwhelm me in a surge of panic. When I woke up in the night I would sometimes have to fight not to think of it. I'm more resigned to death now, but I can still remember the terrified feeling I experienced and sometimes I wonder if it has gone for good or is just lying dormant. Billions of people have died before me and mostly they seem to have coped with it, so I hope when my time comes I will manage.

Yes I am afraid of death, but sometimes I get tired of fighting the good fight. I would love there to be a heaven, but I am a little more realistic. I'd love to live with blind faith and not question things but if there is a god he wouldn't have made me so self loathing.

I had physics in college.one of the laws of physics is that energy can be transformed and except for a small percentge lost during the transformation, that energy is us being released from earthly bodies that allow us to live on earth. As we age and evolve we lose them and goth through the transformation like a worm to a moth or a butterfly. We are free of the container that holds us. I am an organ donor and my body gets donated to science. If there is anything left, they can cremate it and throw the ashes to the wind. No, it does no good to fear. I do not believe we die totally. I will go when my container gives up and I will experience what I have no idea. But the law of physicsis true. My applying it to our spirit, is my use of the law. LOL. I like my ending.

Death? No. Not at all. It's illogical to fear it.

Running out of time, getting old, growing incapacitated, those concern me as they'll still be affecting Me.

When you're dead, there's no thing left that could possibly be worried about its own state of affairs.

I agree with you all. I don't really want a painful death. But I have realized a long time ago that I am not afraid of dying. I don't want to leave my friends and family behind and all of the pain and suffereing that it comes with. But, as I said I am not afraid of death, I have just come to accept it.

No, it would be like one long dreamless and neverending sleep.

Death is nothing to me; for while I am it is not, and when it is, I am not.

Agree with need to believe our loved ones will be seen again.. that is why the Rainbow Bridge for pets bothers me so much: My beloved Josie (feline) has cancer X 2 yrs.. I know what it's time for her to go I will have lost my closest family member..... We humans are wonderful at using denial as a mechanism to keep from sucumbing to suicidal proclivity

I have never been particularly scared of death. I consider myself a "realist", in that I accept reality. And the reality is that death is the great equalizer, there is no escape. No matter how rich you are, how poor, male or female, healthy or sickly, at some point you are going to die. And unless you kill yourself, you will have very little control over the timing. You can be sickly, like Stephen Hawking who lived to 78, or healthy like Jim Fixx the runner, who died at 52. I plan on enjoying my time on earth, since I don't believe in an afterlife, but I have no great interest in extending it. I have had an interesting life and I am comfortable now. I refuse to not eat food I like or do exercise I don't care for. I recently had a V-FIB and was technically dead for 10 seconds (my cousin asked me if I saw the bright white light! Funny guy! Answer, no) I really can't say even that scared me, other than the fact that it happened when I was driving and could have caused a bad accident involving other people. Fortunately, I only hit a parked truck. When the doctor told me I was a lucky guy, I thought he meant that the accident wasn't worse, he meant that I was still alive!

I don't feel the fear now that I did when I was younger. I think as you get older you get more comfortable with the idea that at some point you won't be around anymore. My quest right now is to see my youngest daughter into adulthood. After that, I figure I have at least another 30 years...🙂

Topic sounds familiar... or I've been thinking about death (not dwelling) every so often. I suppose I fear a painful death, should that occur, I'd like a bunch of pot with a morphine chaser. I was holding my wife's hand when she passed, fell asleep (morphine assisted), guess we both tollerated that end... other than that I don't have a morbid fear of dying.
I fear not seeing my daughter and son lots more... I dread the loss of either of my children, hauts me on occasion.
Being among the oldest (3rd ?) of my very healthy family, am always saddened when someone close passes... but mourning's usually brief, being able to anticipate one's death prepares you, or perhaps my it's my age.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 15, 2018

When I was a believer death scared me very much. I think this is the problem with almost all believers. This is why they do not even lose consciousness at death. Transition for them is instant.
Today I do not fear death at all. What I fear is ideas of pain at death, and I fear the loss of all my unfinished business. It's hard to imagine that it all just stops but that is what evidence shows. There is no life after death.

Have you ever had an operation where the anesthesiologist told you to count backwards from 100, you got to about 95 before passing out, and the next thing you remember is waking up? Well, I imagine that death is probably like that except that you don't wake up.

I know that I'm going to die. Hell I have a good idea about my life expectancy judging by the fact that every man in my family has died in their mid fifties but that doesn't really mean much to me. I'd rather live my life instead of worrying over my death.

I don't fear death or the end of my existence. I don't want to die in some horrific, agonizing manner, but that's more fear of pain and degradation.

JimG Level 8 Feb 24, 2018

What bothers me about death currently is the vast amount of unfinished business. Since you did not ask for death there would have to be many things that you would want to continue. I'm not afraid of death really, but you might say I'm afraid of the pain of death. I don't want there to be any pain.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.