Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not so much that people ask about my beliefs, but that they assume I believe. And with that assumption they feel perfectly free to speak to me like a comrad, seeking a nod of agreement to whatever they are saying. I usually allow them to go on for a while before I say, "Excuse me # but I'm an atheist and I disagree with everything you've said so far and probably with whatever you continue to say."

If they question me about it with the to learn more, I'll continue speaking to them. If they start the next sentence with but, I end the conversation.

I just tell Christians that if they think some Jewish guy died 2000 years ago so asshole like us can spend eternity in paradise they really have thought this thru.

I usually don't tell them unless they ask. If they do ask I just tell them I am not a believer and I explain why.

Coming from a very Catholic Italian family I think I first realized I was and atheist at the age of 12. In my mind’s eye I always felt wrong but new I was right. Crazy!!! It is what gays have had to deal with their entire lives. I had to many questions and all the answer I received didn’t make sense. To be trite, more fake news.
I am out, and I love it. I am proud to be an atheist and I love that too. If Christian can knock on my door to spread their veil form of love, then I can certainty tell them I don’t buy it. I am not aggressive I just ask them questions. I have stopped hiding in the shadows like a criminal. Just say and own it. It feels great. Freedom at last.

Normally, I don't. I try to stay away from magical thinking people as much as possible. For instance, I have friends who much later I found were Jehovah's Witnesses. Now I stay away from them as much as possible because they have to mention Kingdom Hall and talk about how great their religion is in every conversation. In reality, I don't say I'm an atheist unless a religious zealot pisses me off, or I'm very comfortable w/someone who I've found to be logical and sensible. Don't give a crap about these played out holidays anymore.

Depending of the type of the believer, I mean type of their character, I'll let them know belief or not. Sometimes hiding in the shadows some times shining like a rockstar it all depends the environment I am in.

Tolga Level 2 Oct 25, 2017

It depends on the situation. When I was younger, I was loud and proud about it. I'm still proud and can be loud but I don't have as much interest in fighting about it, as I used to. "As an Atheist, I ..."

I don't mention it around people I'm around briefly unless they are trying to "convert" me or something, at which point I just say, "I'm an atheist and I think all of that is completely ridiculous." For people that I am around regularly (coworkers, extended family etc.), I say pretty much the same thing. 🙂

I don’t try to hide it. Any time that beliefs are brought up I just simply tell I’m not religious. Most will dive deeper to then as to what I believe in and I simply tell them that I am an atheist and believe in science. I have lost people in my life that used to be friends but I feel that is a sacrifice that needed to be made to have more like minded people in my life.

It depends on the situation. Do you just want them to know? Are they pushing their voodoo on you? I have no qualms telling anybody who I am, it just depends on the context of the conversation and your goal.

If the subject comes up, I just say that I am an atheist. I live in what is referred to as the South Bay, about 50 miles from San Francisco. People are pretty cool with it here. I don't know how I would be in, say, Virginia, where a friend of mine was hounded out of a job because her coworkers found out that she was an atheist.

I just say "I don't believe in God." And then the debate starts.

I just say the words in English, I don't have anything to prove and no vendetta, as a great German-American sailor once said; I am what I am, and that's all that I am.

I just say it straight up; if asked if I go to church, my answer is "no, I'm an atheist". I live in Canada and don't fear getting fired or being persecuted by the religious right wing.

I start by saying that I'm not religious and go from there. The word "atheist" is pretty useless to me, because all it says is one thing that I am not. Instead, I talk about who I am, and what I do believe in. That generally gets even strong christians to hear me. Sometimes it can be irritating, though, such as the time a woman said to me, "you're more 'christian' than most christians I know.'"

Of course she meant it as a compliment, but believing that christian=good is one of the problems with religion. They do not equate. Just ask my cousins who were molested by their father, a lutheran minister.

"I'm an atheist" When their face calms down from the slightly shocked and puzzled look you get, the message then reaches their brain and immediately it starts "Are you sure? How did this happen to you? etc" I simply reply "I'm not just an atheist, but a militant atheist and there is nothing you can do or say that could change my position on this, but if you like I can tell you why I am...." I normally never get to the "let me tell you why" part!!!

I always just say "I'm and Atheist." The reactions I get very. I always answer any questions people have. The most common of which seems to be, "Aren't you afraid to go to Hell?" To which I respond, "Why would I? I don't believe in Hell either."

I usually don't bring it up until they get annoying, then I just say "I am not a Christian". This usually derails the conversation and I end up walking away.

I'm happy to inform them I choose not to believe in any of the pantheon of invisible being = should they ask. Most people I speak to would soon understand my non-religious position.

Pedro Level 3 Oct 28, 2017

I live in America and am surrounded by religious people of all stripes -- I was an Atheist Pagan for many years -- and when someone gets to spouting what they believe or talking up some kind of woo, I listen, acknowledge it politely and then say "And I don't," or "And I can't feel energy. Never been able to."
That usually brings a person to a dead stop and sometimes leaves them a bit stunned. After that, connections generally fade and they stop coming around.

Not having a belief in something doesn't give us much to report, does it? Lol. I neither tout nor deny my religious stance, but I make it known to other people in my life. If they really love me, they'll accept me regardless. If they don't, then I don't need them in my life anyway!

I won't discuss religion because I already know where they stand and where I stand and what I will hear. Same tired arguments. I am an introvert so I don't get surrounded by a whole lot of folks as a general rule, religious or otherwise. Whatever opinions my critters may hold about the universe and its origin they have seen fit to keep to themselves. If you are in a situation where religion is actually an important matter (hey, wanna go with me to Church on Sunday) then you can lay it out there and move the conversation in another direction to ward off some of the discomforts they will likely feel unless you are feeling provocative and want to 'enlighten' them. Of course, Grandma probably will suffer terribly so you may want some follow-up line to keep her from tears or disinheriting you. "I don't believe in God but I'm willing to embrace him/her/it if/when he/she/it puts in a showing". Okay, maybe not...

Don't just bring it up. If they try to include you or evangelize to you just be honest and polite

Typically, I don’t tell them.

It rarely comes up. People often prattle on about their religious views, but rarely inquire about mine. My close friends and family are all well aware of my thoughts, however, and some insist on steering discussions in that direction. When the topic does come up, though, I like to call myself a "non-theist" so there isn't that knee-jerk reaction to the word "atheist" (even though it means pretty much the same thing). Some people get weird when they hear "atheist" and become irrationally angry and map their own ideas of what it means onto me, and that can be a conversation ender. I like to keep things a little less adversarial if possible, so a real discussion can take place and I can speak for my own views without being told (loudly and angrily) by someone else what I do or do not believe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.