Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (651 - 675)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't feel any less less inclined to share the fact I am an atheist than religionists who choose to share their theism do.

I don't really talk about my lack of religion unless the other person wants to talk about it. And at that point I usually say something like "yeah, that's not for me" or "I'm not into that".

smox Level 4 May 6, 2018

It can depend on the circumstances, but generally with people I don't know, I don't tell them unless they ask. (Spiritual-I believe in a Supreme Being/Creator, but not comfortable with Religion.) I am out about my beliefs to most of my family and friends, no problems there because the majority of them are spiritual/agnostic/atheist.

I simply challenge whatever they say politely - they soon get the picture.

I eat a baby in front of them. 😉

Piss on lawn!

Piss on lawn!

Piss on lawn!

I am right and you are wrong is perhaps the best way to address it. NO way can one believe in that stuff without sacrificing intellect

EMC2 Level 8 May 15, 2018

Tell me who the eye witnesses were. How long after Jesus was supposed to have lived did a creditable witness appear? My understanding is it was many years, even many decades!

Good luck

I don't bring it up in conversation unless someone else does first, but I am rather out on social media, etc, so anyone exposed to me there knows where I stand.

I'm sorry I have a cold - that was one of the non sequiturs in a John Cleese sketch!
In godless uk we just say "I'm an atheist" or 'thats for me to know and you to find ou't

I bring it up with friends and answer fairly if they ask why. I think it’s important they have a good example of an out atheist to counteract the strawman and lies.

I don’t. Well’ not right off the bat. I just talk and get along with people by not bringing up religion or politics til they do.

I just say I'm not religious. Saves the confrontational judgment. In this culture, you're still judged as immoral if you don't believe in their myths. But, it is getting better. The younger generation seems to be more objective.

I only bring it up if I am asked or if their is an activity I am being asked to join in that involves religion. When I do need to tell someone, I am straight up to them and try very hard to be positive and not show my self righteous indignation towards their beliefs.
I am sometimes asked to pray for someone. I tell them to pray for themselves. Sometimes, I see a look of frustration, sometimes confusion. I try not to get into the discussion. I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

I tend to tell people that if there is a God, we will find out soon enough. Might also point out that there are over 3000 Gods worshiped on the planet, so in point of fact, they only believe in one more God than I do. A bit of humour thrown in doesn't hurt either.

I don't generally engage with religious people about my beliefs unless they become provocative or smug, then I have a 'both barrels' approach. I think for the most part that religious people are just struggling along like the rest of us and don't seek to be confrontative. For those that do, well, it's open season all year round and I have a figurative 12 gauge science repeating automatic rimfire... 8)

I tell one and all stick with the commandment, LOVE THE NEIGHBOR AS THY SELF and shut the hell up about all the other bs.......

Wezzy Level 4 May 29, 2018

I usually don't unless they start to get really preachy. Then I tell them and if they push it explain to them why I am. Surprisingly I have had some great philosophical conversations with a few of the more open minded types and have gotten them to look more closely at the hypocrisy of many believers. The ones who are shocked and can't accept it are another story. Had some woman throwing holy water on me and turned around and asked her if she saw it boiling? She ran off in a huff. Family members are the hardest. I avoid discussing it as much as possible and have had a pretty successful time telling them that if they bring it up I am leaving. Got up and left in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner once and have never had a problem since.

Living in a mostly red state (evangelicals up the wazoo), it's pretty much not brought up unless you like being attacked by 20 or more nonthinkers at a time.
My exwife and former church are about the only ones aware at this point, and I don't have to deal with the nonsense of either one of those now.
MANY people online know (Twitter) but it's in my profile.

I say that I'm not religious. If they seem open minded I'll say that I'm Atheist. I prefer for people to get to know me before I throw a label on myself.

Yes I say it but have never had an adverse reaction but hereabout with a Protestant /Catholic divide - no one is really interested in Atheists we are of no account whatsoever though i have heard some people say back to me "ah thats a shame!" I usually just laugh no none has come accross as heavy just mystified.

I simply inform them that I am not afraid of the dark

pgaddy Level 3 June 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.