Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I usually don't. I pick apart their logically fallacious arguments while letting them assume I'm just a bad Christian. Otherwise there is no talking to theists, or least no listening from them.

While rangering in the Uintas, I spoke to a backpacker who was obviously just off a LDS mission. He began his religious line, then I told him I was LDH; Church of Jesus H. Christ of Latter-day Hedonists. That shut him up, and I was able to squeeze in a little bit about "Leave No Trace" camping.

i agree with people saying that you should hold off on telling people. let them get to know u before revealing this to them. also maybe even getting to know them and seeing if they seem mature enought to handle it would be good too. or hell sometimes even just keeping to yourself may be a better option

I'm an escapee from the bible belt. When I go back, I describe myself as a vegetarian atheist from California. That seems to elicit the understanding that I am very groovy (in spite of atheism)

I live in Texas so I don't broadcast my atheism but I will fess up when asked.

I don't tell them.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

I don't unless asked.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

That I can well-tell where religions, gods came from... there are remnants, vestiges of their origins in various shamanic, animistic societies to date. That such belief and conviction systems likely devolved to explain scary natural phenomena... lightning, death... And to, yes, Control other people's lives and assets. That such systems have no attraction for me; in fact, I consider them a vexation of "the spirit", and encourage them to consider living their lives apart from such superstition.

I just tell people that I am god, and when I pray, I talk to myself.

I'd say 'I'm an atheist'. But nobody's asked.

Providing Atheism, or religion is the conversational topic I simply make it perfectly clear that I am an Atheist. To the religious fanatics who push their advice onto me as to what is going to happen to me because I'm an Atheist I simply reply it is because of you and the way you treat others who don't follow your rules that convinces me to remain where I am.
I do not celebrate the festive season because of the hypocrisy which surrounds it. Watching people gorge themselves surrounded with cheap and trivial rubbish representing their particular faith makes me wonder about humanity. Half the world is starving while the other half are on diets. Amongst the social community in which I live those who profess to be connected to one faith or another, there is not a single person who has visited a church or place of prayer in the past two or three years. Any attempt to discuss and come to an understanding of their behaviour is generally met with a strange look implying that I must be the strange one because I'm not following the herd, followed by the justification that '...anyway it's for the kids! ...'. I wonder just what are we teaching them ?

I live in Waco. I just stay away from them as i burst out laughing at things like signs that say, "pray away the gay", these idiots believe that stuff. The religious people here are all hypocrites and it's quite disgusting. They think God likes them better and rewards them with money. If I tell them I don't believe they want to talk to me. No, oh, no.

I say atheist or humanist, depending on the person. Or I can say secular humanistic Jew.... just depends on the person, and how much explaining I may have to do!

I'm far to honest. I just say I don't believe in crap written in works of fiction, hundreds of years ago when the average person couldn't read or write.....

I try to do it in a humorous way as follows. ""If Joseph and Mary were alive today and Mary were pregnant, then Joseph would be getting Mary on the Jeremy Kyle show to do a DNA test".

I'll get some shock looks but I'll just say to them that I'm sorry, but I don't believe in immaculate conception. If that isn't enough of a hint I'll just straight out say I'm atheist. At this point some people turn into snowflakes and get offended.

I rarely have to. Aside from certain family members on holidays, I don’t find myself in the company of too many religious people that I am aware of. At least not outwardly religious to the point where they want to discuss it. But secretly I do like the occasional debate only because I always come out feeling like the winner of the argument. ????

gabe Level 2 Dec 25, 2017

Very easily, I tell them as soon as they ask. I don't offer the information that I am atheist until they ask though.
Generally it is unproductive to engage the religious in conversation about religion. You certainly won't change their minds, and in fact you will probably drive them further down the path of faith if you attack their faith.

I read a great quote once.

Religion is like a penis.
It's a wonderful thing to have. I am quite proud of mine.

I am not going to force it down an unwilling persons throat or wave it in front of children.

You can let them have their invisible teddybear in the sky. It's not like there is some atheist god commanding you to convert people.

You can say, "I find no reason or proof to believe that way. What is your idea of "god" & why do you believe?" I, myself, do state that I am an atheist, but I am trying to be somewhat less confrontational & attempting to master some of the lessons of "Street Epistemology".

I don't, I just play into what ever religious expectations they have. It's easier and I come to discover that spiritual choices are personal and should be treated as such.

It usually comes up when they invite me to church with them.
"Would you like to go to church with us?"
"No thanks, I'm an atheist"

Gener Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

I only bring it up if it's brought up and if it is my usual statement is, "I don't buy into what I think is a bunch of bullshit, sorry."

I live in sheltered accommodation North Coast of northern Ireland and most people here are religious. I try not to rattle any ones cage at all because I am different enough anyway but if I trust someone and they know I don't disrespect their choices I just say that I am an atheist. No one has ever questioned me about it or tried to change me in any way and I keep a neighbours statue of 'our lady' clean and tidy.

"I am an atheist, it doesn't run my life and I am happy to discuss my beliefs with you"

Have you heard the fake news?

Mainly because the bornagains I’ve encountered ask if I’ve “heard the good news”... not sure what they mean, but they know what I mean...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.