Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (401 - 425)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I usually let it happen naturally in conversation. I recently moved out of the bible belt and feel more comfortable with it now, but I don't just tell anyone. I have used it to get a few particular people to leave me alone in the past 😉

The only time I talk to religious people about my beliefs is when the Jehovah's Witness come knocking on my door????

I've considered myself an atheist for many years now but never really came out and said it. Close friends suspected it but we respect each other's beliefs.

If someone would ask I typically just told them that I'm not religious. In the past couple years though, I just come out and say that I'm atheist or don't believe in God. Especially if they are clearly the type who would find that immoral or wrong.

I don't go around randomly telling people what I do or do not believe. If they don't bring it up, I don't either.

I don't usually say that. I don't care a lot for labels. We all categorize everything, but the longer we can avoid it, I think, the more open we can be to other people, ideas, ways of thinking, etc. I usually first try to find out what's meaningful to them, then, if they are interested or inquire about me, I look for commonalities first. If they press, I'll not claim a belief in god, but I will still tend to not use the word atheist... unless I want to end the conversation really quickly. 🙂

In the first place, I don't bring it up, but as you said, we are surrounded by christians and they all seem to want to convert you to their type of christian. When they ask me about my church, I tell them that I am a spiritualist and that I get more comfort from looking at the clouds, a river, or any other random pattern than being told that no matter what I do, I will burn for eternity because I won't follow my shepherd to the slaughter house.

i tell them i don't believe in any gods, its very easy. and nobody has a problem with it. to tell you the truth its not something that often comes into conversation. maybe living in the uk without religion is easier than the fromwherever you are

Unfortunately, I simply typically don't.

I talk about aspects of religion like can god learn, 50ft angel/human hybrids, but without certainty, I don't state personal religious beliefs (even if none) without reason. My parents are religious for example and they don't know. They'll know sometime before I'm married but I'm not taking the risk quite yet.

I laugh hysterically when they start talking about their belief system.

Laugh at them?

I don't go around and announce it to everyone but if it comes up and they ask me, I'll be honest.

Stay in the moment. Look at who you are informing. How far do you want this info to go? Is now the time to out myself? What purpose does it serve? Should I remain silent instead of my desire to open this door? Lots of reasons too. Lots of reasons not too. Good luck.

In casual social encounters, I usually don't, b/c that just leads down a long, ugly road. If it is someone I know and respect, I roughly outline what I think about reality (this usually comes up by comparing tattoos lol.) I only pause on the atheist part when I am explaining how certain I am that the christian god of western culture is based on tribal myths and superstition, a remnant that has stubbornly remained part of our culture.

I have no problem saying I’m an atheist. If they don’t ever meet any of us, they will continue to think we are very few. Plus they need to see that we are in fact nice and normal people. Just a little more intelligent than they are. But it’s not their fault, 🙂

Tell them directly and unequivocally I am an atheist or I am a non-believer.

MattW Level 6 Dec 15, 2017

I don't kno what guys do, but as a woman I get to just to roll my eyes.

The simplest response is "why are you a Christian/Jew/Muslim," and the normal reply is either a rehearsed line or a dumb look.

I’m usually as honest and polite about it as possible. I’m an atheist. If that offends them, that’s just too bad, especially since religious people are pretty diligent about expressing themselves in a highly invasive manner. There is definitely nothing wrong with simply and politely announcing I’m an atheist. If they express concern, I’ll say something along the lines of, “Well, I’m sorry you feel that way. I am who I am. Have a nice day.” If I’m feeling more energetic and funny, I might mess with them a little, particularly if they’re being obnoxious with their religion... 😉

I don't, unless I am pressured to state my thoughts. I'm not into unnecessary conflict and it does create conflict.

I tell them I'm a secular humanist. That usually generates a kind of blank stare and the conversation can move on to topics that actually may be someone else's business.

I just tell them that I don't want to be associated with what now commonly passes for Christianity.

I say quite loudly, "I am a heretic", I was raised as a Christian but chose to believe in reality instead. The word "Heretic" seems to really throw people.

I don't until asked. Then handle it from there I don't lie about it. But as someone who sprinted the last 35 years defending the freedom to believe what they want I ask them to extend me the same courtesy.

I really feel sorry for you people. Stay strong. Believe what you believe.

I generally wait for them to bring it up. I don't get to the point right away, but eventually I will tell them if they ask enough questions. I like to make people feel comfortable around me before I shock them with my beliefs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.