Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just allow a new relationship/friendship to develop first. For the most part, religion isn't something that's discussed immediately upon meeting someone. When or if it does come up I am always honest, but also make it known that I respect their freedom of choice. If that ends the relationship...it was never a real friendship anyway. I have lost many "friends" this past year between my religious and political views 🙂

What about those people (we all have met lots of them) who are all "praise God", etc. within the first few minutes of meeting them?

They usually guess when I tell them to fuck off with that bullshit.

Not for me. I don't tolerate their nonsense.

Depends who's asking. The answer can range anywhere from "mind your own business" to "are we really getting into this AGAIN?" Mostly I just say "I'm not religious" and leave it at that.

Mostly, I say "Know what? I make it a rule to never, EVER discuss religion."

@LucyLoohoo - Also good for all but the closest family and friends.

The word 'atheist' seems too frighten the religious right. I use the words 'Free Thinker'. And they just end up scatching their heads. Plus people generally don't talk that crap to me. Might be the way I look or how i look at them. Everyone around me already knows how I think. It's no secret ?

What's wrong with frightening the Religious Right? 😉

@Ozman nothing for real. But I don't hide what I think... And most don't touch the religious subject with me. I tell the truth and they go home praying ?

“Here there comes a practical question which has often troubled me. Whenever I go into a foreign country or a prison or any similar place they always ask me what is my religion.

I never know whether I should say "Agnostic" or whether I should say "Atheist". It is a very difficult question and I daresay that some of you have been troubled by it. As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one prove that there is not a God.

On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.

None of us would seriously consider the possibility that all the gods of Homer really exist, and yet if you were to set to work to give a logical demonstration that Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, and the rest of them did not exist you would find it an awful job. You could not get such proof.

Therefore, in regard to the Olympic gods, speaking to a purely philosophical audience, I would say that I am an Agnostic. But speaking popularly, I think that all of us would say in regard to those gods that we were Atheists. In regard to the Christian God, I should, I think, take exactly the same line. ”

Bertrand Russell

I respond that I don't have a religion (atheism isn't a religion).

@Agamic I reply "I am Ignostic" Since only students of philosophy and/or comparitive religion tend to be familiar with the term, I get the dog hearing a fart face and little else.
I often follow up with "can you define God?"
and down the rabbit hole we go . . .

"God made me an Atheist, who are you to question his decision."

Hear, hear!

No. Say, "who are you to question HER decision?" That should get them!

I live in an area where I frequently hear, "Have a blessed day!" to which I reply, "Thanks, but I'd rather just have a great one!". I figure if they can tell me their BS, I should be able to throw it back at them!

R. Allan Worrell

Alw314 Level 5 June 22, 2018

I hear that crap daily. I also say, "Happy Holidays," to which they angrily yell "Merry Christmas!" I respond with, "I am a member of the Church of the Poisoned Mind and we don't do christmas." They are stunned into sweet, beautiful SILENCE.

I've been responding "No, thank you", but I've been considering moving on to "May the Force be with you" and "Praise be to Satan".

I usually say I am a heathen. I like the reaction to that!

That is my brother-in-law's response. He says that he is a "heathen savage".

My best friend's husband, who is an atheist, called his brother a "godless heathen" at the church the day before their wedding. The look on his Baptist future grandmother-in-law's face was priceless.

Naturally they will try and say there is a gawd, I counter with asking what they learned about 1492 in school. After a few seconds the rhyme in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue will pop out. I then explain that in 1492 many people still believed the earth was flat, something we know today to be ridiculous. I then point out that 1492 was only slightly more than 500 hundred years ago. A long time, but not a real long time, and that if people were that naive that recent, just imagine what they would fall for 2000 years ago.
Then there's the whole issue of non-flying birds (Penguins) in Antarctica and how the Ark must have swung by and dropped them off. (Hey, anti-Ark-tica, thats funny)

"I then explain that in 1492 many people still believed the earth was flat, something we know today to be ridiculous."

Nope, the flat earth movement is alive and well. Also Columbus was a greedy racist who committed genocide and never set foot on continental America. Sorry pet peev.

Noah also had the issue of the marsupials in Australia, the Buffalo in North America, and the layer of salt that would be spread over all landmasses. Busy guy.

The problem is that belief is a moving target. It is part of the "negative space" surrounding scientific thought.

Just say "I am yet to see compelling evidence for any supernatural entity". Most will dazel at your big words and move on to talking about something else.

If they want to start to convince you, I ask for a set date and time to debate. No one will take you up on it. I think many who claim religion are really on our team and are not at a place where they can embrace it. I am content to let them do as they like.

I don't think you can debate religion with a believer. If they agree to do it, what they are really saying is they will give YOU a chance to suspend disbelief.

@AJ413 You are not wrong, debates are there to help those who are still trying to figure things out. If someone is "sold out" then really it is just banter.

Trump not the most politically savvy man around claimed to be a believer and had his Bible with him on his inauguration day. I could tell by his body language it was a stunt. Believer or not he needed to appeal to a country that does not take well to Atheism. Even non religious people bulk at the idea. Exceptions abound of course and varies State to State. So tred carefully if you don't want to upset them.

Personally if your not willing to lie then your silence is a better option. Its not fair but as an Atheist you must see the world as it is. If you disagree I will not mind. I like disagreement it stimulates my mind but I implore you to only reject this because
you think it is wrong not because you don't like it.

sorry to be clear my point about Trump was that cluessless as he is even he recognised or agreed that America does not take well to Atheism.

McCarthyism is alive and well in USA....Our nation was founded without the gawd sound never once being printed/scribed into the Constitution.... Masons, Atheists, Unitarians and freethinkers like Ethan Allen all wanted a country where religious tests were illegal... thus sayeth Article 6 of 1787 ....the trinitarian garbage of Church of England was repudiated and colonial theocracies were criminalized.....none the less, religion has been a tool to conquer Native Tribes and destroy their natural scientific lifestyles....makes me wanna puke in the face of any criminal theocrat who claims USA is xian or 'judeo-xian" as if anti-semitism never ruled xian communities for 200 years .... now it's popular to murder Palestinians and steal their land because YHWH the alleged bible gawd Jehovah is favored by zionists

I find it very difficult to tell people I am an atheist so I just usually don't. It is difficult for two reasons.

When you say you are an atheist, they will

1. Argue with you or try to convert you.
    Or
  2. Look at you/treat you differently.

I get that.

i am lucky in this way: i don't have to be anywhere it would matter if people treated me differently. i am disabled. i am old. i go to adult daycare because my alzheimer's-stricken guy won't go without me, and he needs it. it's a daycare connected with a jewish facility. the clientele is both jewish and not jewish. once in a long while one of them (they've become friends now but they have memory issues) will ask me if i'm jewish, and i say yes, because i am. there is one developmentally disabled client who occasionally mentions that she is catholic but i think it's because she feels a little surrounded; she is not trying to convert anyone. geez, mentioning something is okay! there was ONE new client recently who loudly sang praises to jesus ALL the time. it bothered the other clients and i don't know if she has been moved to another daycare or isn't feeling well or what, but i haven't seen her for a while. she is non compos mentis and is not trying to convert anyone; she's just happy and, well, christian. so it's a safe environment but sometimes gets interesting lol. the staff are not jewish and don't talk about religion spontaneously (but will discuss it thoughtfully if asked), though we have crafts projects based on the jewish (and other) holidays.

that's it, unless i go to the doctor, and the doctors don't push religion, even at methodist hospital, where my guy is at the moment. so i am VERY lucky this way and have nothing to lose by just speaking the truth. i don't wear a banner "hey world, i'm an atheist!" but i don't hide it either. if it comes up, there it is. i may or may not be the person to bring it up. it's not important to anyone i know. if i had a job with a christian company... well, that wouldn't happen anyway. it never did, my whole life.

that is not to say odd things don't happen. i won't try to list them all, but once in japan i was asked "oh, you're jewish -- what kind of christian is that?" another time i was at a christmas party (in america) at the home of a friend of a friend and it turns out they were ALL extreme christian evangelicals. they sincerely believe that the beach boys sat down with the devil and signed a contract. yes, THAT extreme. one of them, with whom i'd talked before and with whom i was friendly, had no idea that jews didn't believe in the divinity of jesus. she asked something that led me to understand that she didn't know this, so i explained it to her, adding, well, that's the great thing about america: we have freedom of religion here. you can be a christian and i can be a jew (that time i didn't mention atheism; my being a jew was shocking enough to her!) and neither of us is wrong. she frowned, thought about it, and said she disagreed with that. she never spoke to me again. guess what? HER LOSS!

g

The fact that you do not want to engage with Christians says more about their likely intolerance than their love for you.A true follower of Jesus would listen to your views however antipathetic they were to his or her faith without rancour in the hope that you may see the light one day.Even if you made it clear that you cannot envisage circumstances in which a leap of faith would be possible your believer interlocutor should should continue to hope you may change your mind whilst holding out the hand of friendship.If anger is the reaction to the communication of your views try someone else but do not give up.You do not live in Iran or parts of Indonesia but in the USA which guarantees freedom of speech

I agree with this completely. Like any group there are assholes and decent folk. All of my Christian friends recognize my views and respect me enough not to preach. I in return respect their right to believe what they want as well.

@Quarm it seems nowadays we cannot have a rational conversation with religious fundamentalists as any criticism of their beliefs causes them to take immediate offence closing down any further meaningful communication.The reaction is even more pronounced if any reference to texts that call for violence against sinners or apostates as many adherents of the world’s major religions would prefer to avoid such teachings and emphasise the positive humane aspects of their beliefs such as the giving of alms to the poor and loving one’s neighbour.

It all depends on what's at stake. If I'm at work I'm not going to discuss my atheism. If I had parents who would throw me out of the house I'm not going to discuss my atheism. As an adult who is capable of taking care of my own needs, I let all my friends and family know I'm an atheist. I often times wear T-Shirts saying I'm an Atheist. If my theist friends don't want anything more to do with me then I'll deal with that loss, but I'm not afraid to tell someone I'm not convinced. I would say that Christians aren't afraid to tell you their beliefs so as long as you're not mocking them and you mention it with respect I wouldn't be afraid to tell them you're not convinced.

you are right

I don't bring it up but if it comes up I certainly don't shy away from it. I once had a woman tell me how terrible she thought Atheists were. So I said, "Really? I'm an atheist." I try to always challenge their misconceptions about what a non-believer is before I let the truth bomb hit, though.

I tell then I'm a True Non-believer.

Andy, that's exactly what I do also!

I tell them I stopped having imaginary friends when I turned 5... .-.

Apart from Santa, who is real 😉

It's dangerous in my country to say that 😟

That is sad, stay safe!

my atheist necklace gives it away 100% of the time

What kind of necklace do you wear? Where did you get it? I wore Richard Dawkins scarlet letter A. No one seemed to know what it stood for.

I am proud of being an atheist, so I just say I am an Atheist, if the issue of religion ever comes up or at holidays when people ask weird questions..but sometimes my "Proud Atheist" or "This is what an Atheist looks like T shirts " gve me away.

Teresa Level 6 Oct 16, 2017

I say 'We are the majority and are not counted'

Great answer! The silent majority, getting less silent!!!!

I tell theists, I don't think there is a God, but if there is, he knows I'm telling the truth. And I am perfectly willing to listen to God, but not hearsay about God ! Did God tell you he authorized a book, or do you normally go around talking crap about the creator of the universe ?

Why did you call " he "

I think being upfront is the way to go. Just tell em you are not willing to believe something without evidence.

I love it when they look at you quizzically and say "the evidence is the bible!", "Oh let's talk about the bible, shall we?" is normally my reply, Bring it on! Ha!

I tend not to say "I'm an atheist," because there's a lot of misguided religious people that think atheism is a religion. I have no problem simply saying I don't believe in god. Sometimes that leads to a disappointed look on their face. Other times it leads to questions. But the best is when they've been speaking to me for an extended amount of time and I drop the atheist thing on them. The look of confusion on their face as their mind tries to understand how someone could be both a good person and an atheist is wonderfully satisfying. But be careful if you try this as their heads do sometimes explode.

I generally don't unless asked directly. If I do tell someone, I'll use something like "I'm between religions right now", and let them figure that one out for themselves.

Hahaha! "I'm between religions right now!" or "I'm just resting from religion for the moment!" Too funny!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.