Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most of the people I work with are christians. By sharing my personal beliefs as a non christian to several that I like, I soon picked up the vibe from others that this info spread like wild fire. I can tell as they look at me and judge me they have singled me out as some kind of nut case. It's so condescending as they talk about attending bible studies, baptisms, lent, etc, etc. If I were to talk about attending women's choice marches or atheist meetings ....well you can just imagine. Many like myself have to stay underground. I'm more open about my beliefs now but still have to listen to their nonsense while biting my tongue. I'm hoping in generations to come this will change. I am seeing more progressive thinking with millenials and this gives me hope!!

I'm with you, 2much....times ARE changing, atheist ARE ''coming out" in huge numbers and there are many resources open to us...THIS one, for example! I'm sorry your co-workers give you the figurative ''fish eye,'' but stand up & smile! TELL THEM ABOUT THE MARCHES! Smile some more. (I'll bet you could find some like-minded groups of people online. Have you tried?)

That's my experience at work. That's why I tell them I'm Jewish.

This is so beyond my experience. Nobody, well, the vast majority, talks about religion over here, let alone expects to, or makes assumptions about others. And no-one ever asks. I can sit in the pub with a few mates and we can roundly take the piss out of all things religious, and no-one bats an eyelid. Even in Ireland, I can take the piss out of the church (Catholic) and priests, and get nothing more than sage nods, or even people joining in!

I really feel for you, and the rest of you, having to bite your tongues, and generally slink around, socially. The land of the free? Hmmmm!

Well, why do you think that to say “I am an atheist” is a bad way so much that you have to find a better way. Now, most Christians I know do not start with “Hi, I’m a Christian”. If they do, then you can say “Hi, I’m an atheist”. But what most of them do is to tell you, at the end of a conversation “god bless you”. Which is their own way, depending on the response they get, of finding out who is Christian and who is not. In any case, if they tell me “god bless you” I can say “I don’t believe in god”. But the main point I want to make is: be proud to say what your beliefs are. Are you afraid you would loose their friendship? Do you need them?

Yes i need them in the special group of meeting but I m not afraid of loose them . They say they are christans proudly , so i just say i am a atheist honestly .

@Bingogwak If you lose friends over your lack of theism....they weren't really friends to lose, were they?

@LucyLoohoo I was going to say the same thing, but I don’t really know the social situation of @Bingogwak.

I don't unless they ask, to put me in a category when they know nothing else about me seems ridiculous ot me - lacking context . I live in Northern Ireland and am English so no one is really bothered what I am .

Whereas I assume if you are local it would be an issue.

@Palindromeman big issue hereabouts protestantism v catholicism rules. atheists and agnostics ignored.

This wasnt a joke it was real because some tourists here got a lift with a priest in his car and he asked them what religion they were and they said they were atheist and he asked them "But would you be catholic or protestant atheist?

@jacpod Oh, I believe it. I have never lived in a place where religion is even something that a person would bring up with you. But, let's face it, Northern Ireland has some form in that respect.

I don't tell people my beliefs, I just ask them questions about theirs. The longer they explain, the more they begin to question them. I sure question mine!

I normally just say I have no beliefs. I rely on evidence, not blind acceptance (faith).

@Agamic I don't want to offend anyone. It doesn't matter to me whether they believe in anything, it's their business. When people believe something against any evidence - that God exists, that Jerry Sandusky didn't abuse boys, that Trump is a good President, I just don't engage, knowing I'll never change their mind. That's why it's called a belief and not a fact.

@Marika
I rarely get any response to my response.
If they're truly curious as to why I don't believe, I've opened a door.
It's rare but has happened.
But I DO understand your position. I avoid such people on Twitter as they DO tend to be wilfully ignorant and unreachable (as well as unteachable).

I always say it when religion gets brought up. Sometimes even when it doesn't. I just want people to know that we're out there, we're proud of who we are, and actually we're pretty awesome people. I think people become more open minded when they get to know people with different views.

Agree. But I couldn't do that at work, it might hurt my career. People are very conservative here.

@towkneed Sorry to hear that. This is where America and any other place doing the same has gone wrong. Freedom to practice your religion of choice should be accompanied by freedom not to be coerced and oppressed into behavior by any religion. I would use the word intolerant instead of conservative.

Since the word atheist has negative vive to it. For some reason. I would just say "There is not enough evidence for me to accept X religion"

Well, I say, let us rescue the word and get it out of that undeserved place in our lexicon (the lesson given to us by our LGBT brothers and sisters should serve as an example and inspiration). Let us not allow the believer to define atheism. I say that I am an atheist, and I tell them why.

And also, believe atheists are brave individuals by definition. As atheists, we have to take full responsibility for our actions and accept all their consequences knowing full well that there is no superpower that will come to save us. I enjoyed that protection when I was five and my father carried me on his shoulders; I am no longer five, my father is no longer here to protect me, I now protect myself, I don’t need my father, I don’t need a god. As atheists we know that when our bodies reach the end of their functionality, that’s it, and we accept that end without the need of a promise of an afterlife. As strong and loving individuals, we love ourselves and have people that love us; we don’t need the love of an non-existing being. As strong individuals, we are at ease in solitude; we don’t need the promise of ever loyalty. As atheists we know life has no other meaning but the one we want to give to our lives. As atheists we don’t need a powerful god, we are powerful over our lives. This is the description of brave person, and we are the few.
And this is why the wind “atheist” should not have a negative vibe! 🙂

Don't be afraid of your beliefs. If Christians are talking about how they feel just simply come out and disagree. Make sure you've done your research though. I've been caught in conversations where I forget key pieces of information and my argument seems flawed.

stick to your beliefs, key information will naturally flow through you, and . . . never lose your sense of humor if you ever got caught in an argument as my father always reminds me that "NOBODY WINS AN ARGUMENT"

We have to remember always, we are right , they are wrong.

I don't unless they ask, then I just tell them and if they start with oh you just got to pray for him to reveal himself and all that I say I used to be a Christian and you don't how badly I wish still believed like that, life was so much easier when I belived I had someone looking out for me.

Reality it is better to me than lies and fantasies

Je suis musulmans

you mean?

This person wrote "I am a muslim" in French.

I say it straight out. I was taught as a child how evil atheists were. I spent too many years intimidated by my abusive evangelical mother and now that I have a TBI...It's almost a physical problem for me to lie. In response to say nope I'm an atheist, I've been told I'm the nicest atheist one guy has ever met! One woman told me..."But you look like such a nice person" Most people that I tell don't spend much time debating me because I'm pretty clear that I think religion is cruel and abusive to children.
I feel like I'm part of the beginning of humanity letting it go. In whatever small way we really are making a difference by spreading knowledge and talking to others. I feel its my duty to be honest for the sake of the world my children and grandchildren have to live in.

I remember seeing an atheist on tv when I was a little girl. I asked my mom what an atheist was and she got all upset..teared up, almost shaking from emotion and said, "They're TERRIBLE PEOPLE who don't believe in god!!!" It's funny because I think my mom could almost be called agnostic now. LOL.

If you were on stage, I would stand and applaud. Although the church I was forced to attend when young didn't acknowledge atheists, In school it was common knowledge that atheists gathered in cemeteries to sacrifice dogs to the devil. I have witnessed much destruction to the minds of youth including a lovely young woman who, according to her suicide note that her friends found, "I have killed myself so I can live forever with my dead father and Jesus in heaven" - - - there are many other stories. . . I fully share your sentiment.

I explain that I am a humanist and have no belief in god. People naturally want to "save" you to tell you why they believe. I find firm believers often have a story, a very pursuesive story that helps them rationalize their beliefs. I do not care if others believe and I am not focused on changing their belief system. I let others know this and that if they ask, I explain why I do not believe in a god. I don't try, but I think I set a good example of being "good without god" - that the constructs of "morality" do not start with faith, but a knowledge of how to perpetuate the human race. But even then - that is all subjective. I personally am a humanist - I "believe" in furthering the human species, as well as all other species, on this planet in a sustainable and responsible way - not all atheists or agnostic people "believe" in these ideals. I think overall, you need to be able to have confidence and security in your beliefs. I recently had a great conversation with a former-Yugoslavian region war survivor at my work who firmly believes in god as he is alive due to god's intervention and now lives in a beautiful area in the US. His children are very well off and he is "blessed". He asked me about my faith and I was honest - he initially tried to disagree, but when he began to understand that I was a good person, who cared for him and others, and expressed that I did not rely on "faith" do do this, he accepted that he would not change my position and, as he knows me well as a co-worker, accepted my position. It wasn't "agreeing to disagree", it was accepting our differences and respecting one another. did not seek to tell him he was wrong and I did not hope to have him tell me I was right. Its not about the. He's a cool guy with a great history. It is about respecting each other.

And he's probably so traumatised by events that he fails to connect the fact that though god save him, he let an awful lot of other innocent people die horrific deaths.

That was really good the way I look at it if God is good why all the atrocities and Hate the greed the deception I don't see anything related to love in that I believe in a creator more or less the indigenous way of life but I sure as hell don't believe there is a loving God I think maybe you said that we have to have self confidence and like ourselves I have a hard time with those things because I don't hear see things right get things mixed up easily

I am of the age where I really do not care what anyone thinks of me. If my beliefs are relevant I'll just state them. If someone doesn't like it s/he can F%$# off.

You and I are the same. I could give a rat's ass what someone thinks of me. I do not feel I have to explain my belief system. If someone presses me on dogmatic religion too much, I tell them, I go to church everyday, I commune outside, step into mother nature's planet. I see perfection everywhere from a blue jay to a red maple tree, to a magical butterfly, I feel the power of a higher presence.

I'm glad you didn't spell that nasty word the right way because I have very sensibilities and it hurts my eyes to read those four letter words!! This shit's fun!

I live in Islamic county and telling religious people my real believe is not a good idea

For women, it is pretty much a suicide to revel.

I slam their religion without mercy and give examples of why their respective religion is crap.

If thay say "I'll pray for you" Its game on!

it is not in my naire to judge or argue with others or for them to judge either t

sometimes there are friends who'd invite you to some religious meeting or such and I am like "that's good bro I guess but, I don't believe in such"

To me, if they know you're an Atheist and they still invite you, I think that it is a trap. There was an acquaintance of mine who is a Christian, and she knew that I was agnostic and invited me to this Christian bible study thing. I told her "no thank you" and she kind of got weirded out and offended and asked me what was the reason for my "switch." Then later said she hoped that one day I will find my way back. I told her, "I hope I won't become that weak anymore."

@CatiValti23 Very good. Reminds me of a similar talk I had with a fellow teacher years ago. He was a paying member of a really bat-shit crazy church that had children praying before cut-outs of a Republican president (Think the video showing this is part of a movie called Religulous) I told him I would destroy with facts and reason all the faith based assertions of those in his cult. When he told me he already paid my very expensive entrance due I told him he better find another sheep because I would not be beneficial to his cause.

First, you get a bunch of balloons and confetti, bust through the door and go, "surprise! I'm an Atheist! Wooot!"

I'm being silly, but if that is your style, go for it! Lol! Here is my thing, I don't tell them unless they ask me. If someone was Christian and you're having a casual conversation or first meeting, did you say "Oh, I'm a Christian by the way...could you pass me the ketchup, please?" That would be quite odd. I find that when you just tell them up front, it makes it seem like you're one of those crusaders carrying a banner and charging in on them about to challenge their beliefs.

What I've done is if the topic ever comes up and they inquire, because it eventually comes up, I wait for the opportunity to arise and then tell them I'm an agnostic...or in this case, you'd say you're an atheist. Then the look after you tell them, rather than their words, will tell you how they'll treat you fro then on. I live in the South in the US and I tell ya, they assume that everyone is Christian or religious. Then, when you tell them something like, "I'm agnostic" they automatically think it is the same as an atheist. Only if they're open to allowing me to explain things to them, will I tell them the difference.

i agree

I live up north (USA) and in these parts, your "they assume that everyone is Christian or religious" sadly, also applies.

When ppl say bless me or I'll keep you in my prayers..... I respond, thank you but I don't believe in any of that. I'm atheist. Folks reaction are always different, but always ends with something about the devil ???????????

Vico Level 5 Nov 30, 2017

Yep, I remember a long smack down with a theist. When I finally left (place was closing and she had to clean) her fellow worker (a former Catholic I de-converted into an atheist) told me she said, "I'm glad that devil worshipper finally left. He had to explaining that I didn't believe in the devil. Many Christians believe that atheist = those who worships the devil.

Yes, I explain that I was raised by hippies and religion was never part of my life. And that I've never needed it. Then I tell them that when I studied History of Religion in college, I was most likely to become a Buddhist. It shuts them up pretty quick.

Nina Level 4 Dec 12, 2017

Buddhist baby! The only things that makes any sense to me.

Sometimes I say I am a Taoist, which is for me an acceptable guide for living.

I don't.
In the same way that I don't tell people I am heterosexual. 99% of the time it isn't relevant to our discussions. Should the conversation turn to religion, then I am comfortable in stating that I am an atheist - and then often then have to explain the difference between atheist and anti-theist as most religious people seem to think that if you don't believe there is enough evidence to believe there is a god, then you must believe that a god cannot exist.

A very common shifting the burden of proof scenario for Christians. This is what many faithful are taught in church. I am guessing we have the same definition of atheist (one that does not find sufficient evidence to support the god assertion) but how do you define Anti-theist? I define anti-theist as one that actively promotes the value of truth (things that can be demonstrated with evidence) over the dishonesty of presenting (faith) (belief without evidence) as an equal or superior methodology for determining truth.

My personal definition of anti-theist is one who actively state that gods do not and cannot exist.
In the strictest sense of the word, I am probably an anti-theist, in that I do not believe in the supernatural in any way. If the supernatural acts on reality in any way, then that action can be measured. Then, using the scientific method we can hypothesise a causal effect and then look at where our current understanding of reality needs changing and a new model formulated. At that point, the phenomenon is no longer supernatural as it will have a naturalistic explanation - therefore no god, or at least, no supernatural god.

Most of the time it is pointless trying to argue that (and I'm too lazy), so I just revert to "I don't believe you"

Hhhhhh so hard to tell in Iraq

Yeah, don't put your safety at risk or anything.

@Neraven Ni!
All of my friends know that I am an atheist
Life is risk????

why would you be talking to one anyway?

Do people ask this just to get a reaction? Or are you really that jaded? OR, are you newly atheist/at that sort of angsty or teenage period of life where you judge everyone based on that alone? Cuz I've been there lol, and I do still sometimes go there. I'll take an excerpt from my comment:
"The one good friend I made within the last 3/4 of a year just fairly recently (maybe three months ago, maybe four) revealed through casual conversation that he was Christian, and pretty religious. He doesn't wear a seat belt, and he says it's cuz he's got three protectors: His mother, his guardian angel and the Holy Ghost. Funnily enough, he's been in a decent number of serious crashes (as front seat passenger too) and been just fine. Doesn't change the fact that he's really intelligent, ethical, kind, supportive and all that shit."

@Neraven well, my meaning was why would you be talking in areas where you can only disagree, especially to a friend?

It depends on the person. Sometimes I just say, no, I don't believe. If they want to continue with that, I give them as much as is appropriate. If they start to threaten me with eternal torture I say this in not so many words, by John Povlowitz:

"Do you believe in God?”
"People have asked me that question for my entire life.
The answer used to be simple and quick, almost involuntary. I had a tidy little collection of the platitudes and Bible verses I’d stockpiled, committed to memory, and carried around should I be asked. I’d learned it—and I could do it well.
But little by little, I gradually grew less comfortable with those easy answers and I had less and less peace in my spirit with what they implied. I look around at many of the Christians whose God I was expected to share and amen and defend—and I realize that I can not.
I listened to the celebrity evangelists and the partisan politicians and the brimstone street preachers, and knew that we were not speaking about the same thing. We couldn’t be.
As I read the Bible; as I reflected on the world I’d experienced and the people I’d encountered; as I watched what Christians were doing and saying in the name of God, I came to the conclusion that I had to make a distinction between their beliefs and mine—because the two were simply incompatible.
There is a God I do not believe in:
I do not believe in a God who is male and white. (though I will use masculine pronouns below, as this identity is critical to the beliefs I once had but have discarded.)
I do not believe in a God who created women as less-than; who assigns certain tasks to them, who ascribes different value to them, who reserves church and home leadership solely for men.
I do not believe in a God who doles out blessings like a cosmic Santa Claus; adding up our naughty and nice stuff, giving us good things if the scales tip in our favor and withholding them if we don’t measure up.
I do not believe in a God who answers prayers based on volume; who will move to bring healing and help—only if enough appeals are made, when a critical mass is reached.
I do not believe in a God who is capable of permanently writing off His children for their mistakes, their rebelliousness, their unbelief; who would craft a place of eternal torment and suffering and separation—and then send them there for good.
I do not believe in an all-powerful God, who would allow a devil dominion anywhere—let alone in the place where His supposedly treasured children spend their days, as hurting, vulnerable, and scared as they all are.
I do not believe in a God who commands me to forgive others unrelentingly—and then holds a grudge against me should I fail one too many times; a God who is as petty, judgmental, thin-skinned, and vain as I am.
I do not believe in a God who spoke to a handful of people a few thousands years ago through divine dictation—and who is now silent.
I do not believe in an all-knowing God, who would create men and women with a specific identity and natural inclination to love—only to find them repulsive as they lived into those deepest truths.
I do not believe in a God who would choose sides in any war; who would revel in violence, who would rejoice in death, who would celebrate genocide.
I do not believe in a God who blesses America—or any other nation.
I realize that to many Christians, this means that I am not a proper person; that my lack of faith is illegitimate, my lack of religion is heretical, my testimony nullified. I’m okay with that. I know that any bitterness or condemnation that they respond to these words with, is the voice in their head of the God they believe—and I understand. They are, trying to figure out what character is—and how we should live accordingly.
All any of us can do, is to be as honest as we can at any given moment, about where all our searching and studying and praying and living has led us. This is where I am. I can’t be anywhere else. Today when people ask me, “Do you believe in God?”, especially when Christians ask me—my reply isn’t quick or simple or nearly as tidy.
Now my response is, “How much time do you have?”

That was awesomely put...

I have found it very uncomfortable and haven't even tried to tell a few devout christian and muslim friends. I think they would be horrified and feel I had tricked them But I cannot stand listening to them spout their prayers for me and other blathering comments, I go into a coma and grind my teeth. I wish I could say something, but I'm SO uncomfortable. Any realistic suggestions ?

When I feel like you do, which is often, sometimes I just ask simple questions, like why do you believe that - and how do you know, until they feel the need to walk away. That way, it's not on me. "why?" drives the pious nuts.

Sorry to hear that. It took me years of research and thought to develop a sufficient arsenal to destroy theists assertions in a wide range of discussions. If this is uncomfortable for you, I don't know, just try to stay away from them?

Say, "Atheist," with pride. I do. I had to tell a couple of whom I will be babysitting for, and, they asked about my, "Beliefs." I was actually told by another Mom whose son I babysit that she was told, "You know she's an Atheist." I was so disappointed. Like, I was going to apologize. No way. I told the couple that I will not be embarrassed. Or, ashamed. I couldn't be.

I have found most theists have no idea what an atheist (one that finds insufficient evidence to support a god assertion) is. I have run into theists that think atheist believe in the devil and perform blood rituals. Seriously.

That is so embarrassing. They are too ignorant to do research.

I usually tell them that I just believe in one less god than they do.

Good job make them think

Unless they are Hindus?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.