Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (376 - 400)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am an open book to anyone who asks. I won’t just randomly tell someone anything about my life so if someone asks me point blank about my religious beliefs then I will let them know I’m an atheist. IMO there isn’t any better way of telling someone other than telling them.

I just avoid them like the plague

Actually that's exactly what I say. "I'm an atheist." To Christian's and other religious folk, there is a shock value to hearing that admitted so openly. That and within a couple minuets they usually show how open or closed minded they can be.

I do not really talk about it a lot. If someone askes me I say "sorry I am not religious" and that's enough...it's not their business.
Things like "God bless you" or "I will pray for you" really make me feel uncomfortable.

Alexa Level 5 Dec 7, 2017

I usually don't bring it up until I have to because I am a small business owner, and I don't want to lose business. When it becomes uncomfortable, or if I am asked, I say I am Atheist.

I had one client try to give me a list of the 10 commandments one day. I said "no thanks". He was very puzzled. When I told him I am Atheist he started questioning me with very basic questions. "you mean you don't believe in god at all?" and so forth. It was interesting, but not offensive. I still have them as clients, and like them very much.

Anyone who judges you, or tries to make you feel uncomfortable, for being atheist is not worth having around. If they do this, they don't respect you.

I say, "I'm an atheist." If anyone asks a reasonable question, I'll answer it as honestly as I can. If anyone decides it's a good idea to lecture me, I disabuse of them of that notion in short order. I won't be rude to you, if you aren't rude to me.

Yesterday some coworkers were talking about how the end times are approaching, evidenced by Trump's acknowledgement of Jerusalem as Israel's capital. I wanted to butt in and tell them people have used every bit of world news for the last 2000 years to predict the end times, but I decided to avoid the argument and just let them have their fun. I'm not going to change their minds and they aren't going to change mine.

just be honest and tell them straight up

By laughing a lot when they start preaching, LOL

I let them get to know me as much as possible before I reveal that information. Thinking back when I was a Christian, if someone told me they didn’t believe in God, I automatically associate them with the devil which is unfair. So I know how that works and to avoid that I would much rather people get to know me first before they know my religious views or lack there of.

Tell them you don’t believe in ghosts, spirits, talking donkeys and shit like that.

I have gotten to the point of just saying I can't believe in any gods. Listening to them is like listening to brain dead dribble. I just have to say I am atheist. I can not go on lieing. You hear them babble about bible study. One was surprised I knew so much about the bible. I look up a passage and m sick to read most of it. You do something wrong and first thing they want to stone you for any reason. Muslims is cutting off your head for some reason. What also gets me is the hate from these religions for all those not just like them! So many versions of the book of supposively the same religion. If there is one god why are there so many versions of it? Want more truth then ask why did religious leaders live with the kings and dictators while the poor ecked out a living being abused by kings and such? No there is no god just another tool for oppression. You ever noticed when one group conquers another and enslaves them they force there religion onto them? They either convert or are beaten or murdered. So if religion is so good why is so much death in their writings? Wipping out whole civilazation because someone told their god told them too. Oh yes kept the young virgin girls for slaves and concubines

For me blunt is good. I feel my life is made up of time and I could do both of ourselves a favor if we don't waste it. You don't want to hear their bullshit. They could be spending their time talking to somebody else who does.

I say that I'm a non-supersitionist. If pressed, then I explain further.

By saying the word A..THE...IST.... VERY slowly!

Just be open if it comes up, you can't be called a liar if you hide nothing.

I simply tell them I'm not religious politely, if they try to push it I inform them I think adults having imaginary friends need serious professional help

I would go for 'Well I used to be religious, but I wanted to live a more ethical life so I became an athiest' You're welcome

I don't know how old this post is? But I have to tell you what I say to them. If they ask or if they start ranting on how sweet their Jesus is. I tell them. "Hey I'm an Atheist and I don't believe in that bullshit." Okay I don't swear to get my point across, but I let them know directly.

Only when they bring up religion or spirituality first. Then I say something polite like "Jesus H. fucking Christ on a goddam pogo sitck. Another religious idiot". I'm a very subtle guy.

Mainly I will tell them that I don't believe in the existence of 'Any' "God/s", because I've never found 'Any' credible evidence that would lead me to believe that 'Any' of those "God/s" factually exist in Reality.

I usually claim parody religions like Dudeism and Pastafarianism.

In order to avoid arguments, I say nothing. I nod, or say, hummm

Actually I don't even bother explaing myself. I don't expect people to understand what I think. People are just so used to knowing what they have been taught since the very beginning of there life's. They are afraid of change. Change just means something better is out there. People are programmed to believe that the political, religious and educational people want them to believe. By giving them comfort, rules and regulation. Forming in there minds there view of reality.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.